[C-] Verin Arcane Arbiter

Let's play a game. If you win, you might just get some representation in DoE!
Pigger
Revenent of the Replies

[C-] Verin Arcane Arbiter

Post by Pigger » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:50 pm

Verin
Arcane Arbiter
Intelligence; Hallowed Order

Level 1 Skill:
On the Hunt
  • Sends a bolt of energy out to track down a hero, while it is alive the caster is invisible. On contact the bolt deals 60/80/100/120/140 damage and cripples/maims the struck unit for 3 seconds. Cooldown: Around 10 seconds. Bolt moves at an average-slow speed.
Level 1 Skill:
Leash
  • Casts a buff on the target, if they do not go further than X*50 + 200/300/400/500/600 of the location they were at when the buff was cast, they return to the location and are blinded. Buff lasts 6 seconds. [X = Number of Conditions on Target]
Level 1 Skill:
<Insert Skill Name>
  • Sends out a lance of magic, the first unit it hits is crippled for X/Z, and dealt Y * Z damage. [Z = Distance from Cast Point]
Level 6 Ultimate:
Shift
  • When cast all conditions on the enemy are replaced by their opposite and have their durations extended by 100/150/200%, also applies ruin. (ie Cripple -> Maim, Blind -> Mute, Bleed -> Burn)
Very basic look at it. The last two skills are the least liked, but fit in for now.

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Re: Verin Arcane Arbiter

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:24 pm

Might want to change the name Verin...it's the name of a semi-important person in the Wheel of Time.
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Pigger
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Pigger » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:58 pm

If you put it that way though...Meridia is in The Elder Scrolls-ness and Genobee is in the game Armored Core...

Greenspawn
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Greenspawn » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:07 pm

Nice ideas for the hero, but some of the skills already exist.

On the Hunt is very similar to Scamp's Ignius Latro ability.

Your third skill reminds me a lot of Arró Kree's Fireball ability

Leash is a nice spell, but for improvement, I think you should make it so that if the enemy leaves the range you specify, then it's returned to it's original location and is blinded.

Shift is a great spell. It works with all your abilities.
Math is # |e^iπ|
"I can't imagine getting hit by a giant rock and not being maimed or crippled or ruined" -Dusk

Logue: Please replace the toilet paper when you use it all. For some reason my 5 year old son believes if it's not there he does not have to wipe.

Pigger
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Pigger » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:22 pm

They're not the same though. Thats like saying Schism and Abolish are the same thing just with a 3 second difference. Or that Aurea's Ultimate and Arro's Ultimate are the same except for one is targetted and the other isn't. Its those little differences that make them unique.

On the Hunt's projectile cannot be killed, nor does it do AoE damage, nor a lot of damage at that.
The third skill does not do AoE damage, nor does it burn, and its damage and cripple are purely based on the range of the enemy. The math is set up so if you hit someone at melee range, they are crippled for a long time but take no damage, but if you hit them from the maximum range, they take a bit of damage and aren't crippled.

Why I wouldn't want to change leash. Its use with On the Hunter is amazing. Say you have On the Hunt on the hero you cast leash on, if it worked the way you suggested, the enemy would come back and get hit by the projectile, making the hero visible. Working my way, it forces them to decide, do they want a permanently invisible hero on their hands and stay on their current path, or will they bite the bullet so they can see you and kill you.

shalnath
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by shalnath » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:52 pm

The invisibility on this hero just seems like a gimmick and doesn't tie in with the actual playstyle. It also doesn't last very long.

Leash doesn't make too much sense to me, so maybe I just don't understand it. Why would you "reward" an allied hero with blind when they've managed to stay inside a set radius? What happens when they leave it? It seems like the skill could be used as a debuff that targets enemy heroes instead and blinding/teleporting them back if they leave the radius.

I haven't noticed any real synergy in the hero either. None of his skills complement another.
"Within every world, there are cultures, within every culture, there are groups, within every group, there are leaders. These leaders are not truly chosen, they are destined, it is their fate to lead, and it is this fate that drives them. Souls yearn to be driven, they in themselves can not direct, however, these leaders are predetermined, by whatever means, to guide the wills and mend the errors of these wandering souls. A forest, cold, cured, flawless, meticulous, and fearful, what drives it, what keeps the balance? The inner beings of all the co-existant creatures swarm together, and every one is guided by another, in more a cycle, then a hierarchy. The eyes of a forest are always watching and guiding, yet the sun never sets on the forest, and it never shall." ~ The Chaos Theory

Pigger
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Pigger » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:03 pm

Well, it's still a WIP so I haven't found anything to tie in with the invisibility, but it can last long. The projectile follows the target around at a slow pace, slower than any hero can run, which means they'd have to be either dumb or standing still to get hit.

Leash, I guess I have to explain in more detail.
It is an enemy target spell (perhaps allies if you REALLY want to...). You cast it on the enemy, and once it is cast on them a radius is determined by the level of the spell centered on where the unit obtained the buff. If they stay within the radius once the buff wears off then the unit is instantly teleported back to where it initially obtained the buff. If they exit the radius, then nothing happens. Basically it forces the enemy to run else get blinded. Neither of which are too severe.

None of the synergy is well laid out. Its more a mental thing. With the first skill, the enemy has to choose between running and having an invisible enemy, or standing still and getting crippled/maimed but also having a visible enemy. Thats where the second skill can tie in. As I said before you can either force them to run or to stick close, either cage them or keep hunting them. If they run, you remain invisible, if they stay, they will be pulled back and most likely crippled from the first skill.

This is also where the third skill ties in. Its his primary nuke. If you've forced them to run with your second skill, and you have your first skill in use, you can freely move to position yourself to strike them and either cripple them, or damage them up the butt. Or if you just have the second and third skill, you can force them to run anyway and try to snipe them, or, if they decide not to run, they are pulled back and close enough for you to cripple them if you so wish.

I may be a little delirious with my thoughts on this synergy, but I thought that they worked pretty well together.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:03 pm

Review:
  • General Pros:
    - On the Hunt is actually quite cool. I like the way the invisibility works there. You should've taken advantage of the first skill more by making him a high distance caster type, would've been cool
  • General Cons:
    - Shift is the most pointless ultimate ever and half the time would result in helping the enemy
    - Third skill is Taint without an AOE and with overcomplicated damaging
  • Final Thoughts:
    - You had a good thing going and then you just lost it, you need to really focus in on traits you think your hero should focus on. Being creative isn't hard if you know what you want and only need to figure out how to get there.
  • End Grade:
    C-
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Return to “Hero Contest #2”