Ranger announced

The MMORPG revolutionary by ANet combining classic instances with massive online gaming to create one of the most original and phenomenal games ever.
Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Ranger announced

Post by Oxygen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:34 am

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/p ... ns/ranger/

Those of you who care probably know about it already (I was sent not one but two emails from them (!?)) but for the rest, the ranger was announced. I'm personally happy to see that the class isn't limited to ranged attacks, as it mostly was in GW1 (at least, as far as I recall). The same concept can be seen in the warrior video where one of them actually uses an arcing shot of a bow to deal damage.

New abilities include:

Barrage, which apparently sees your character shoot fast and in an arc to spread arrows over an area. I love those little things they're shooting at, by the way.

Hunter's call, which has a couple of voracious birds go peck at your enemies. Now, this one was a little weird, especially since it was a Charr using it. I mean, what are little birds when you can just put an arrow between the eyes of your enemies?

Spread show, which, as the name implies, spreads arrows in an arc in front of the ranger. Now, the interesting thing about it is that as the arrows pass through what appears to be a wall or a zone of fire, they light up, igniting foes they strike! That's actually a really good ability idea for a map.

Serpent strike, a melee attack which sees the ranger move at high speed behind a foe to strike the leg and possibly inflict cripple? I liked this one, though that makes the enemies seem so damn weak, one little blow at the leg and they're down!

Whirling defense, where the ranger whirls his weapons to reflect projectiles to nearby foes. As fun as this spell is, it has already been coined about a year ago by the D3 team with the monk.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Re: Ranger announced

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:42 am

I'm pretty sure that all of these example videos are staged and that the damage done with the attacks is either from a L20 to a L2 enemy or just setup to be the killing blow. Anyway, I'm blown away by how excellent this game looks. I can't wait for it to come out, although I hope I have a new computer by then. I am actually very pleased that torches are an offhand and that Rangers seem to have a bit of offensive melee capacity as well reminiscent of the assassins of GW1.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:43 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote:I'm pretty sure that all of these example videos are staged and that the damage done with the attacks is either from a L20 to a L2 enemy or just setup to be the killing blow.
Oh yeah, that was obvious from day one.

Anyway, I'm blown away by how excellent this game looks. I can't wait for it to come out, although I hope I have a new computer by then. [/quote]

Love it too, and yes I'm in the same situation.
Rising_Dusk wrote:I am actually very pleased that torches are an offhand and that Rangers seem to have a bit of offensive melee capacity as well reminiscent of the assassins of GW1.
read my mind more!

Separation
Noobite Warrior

Post by Separation » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:10 pm

I kinda lost interest in GW mid-way through Factions. Prophecies was the best experience and fun for me, the expansions made it bleh for me

GW2 looks cool though :D

Return to “Guild Wars 2”