Trebs

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.

Which Treb version?

Condition + Random
41%
No Condition
5%
No Condition + Random
18%
No Trebs
36%

Total votes: 22

2-P
Revenent of the Replies

Trebs

Post by 2-P » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:45 am

Trebuchets! They used to be different as most of you might remember. Since 1.09(or so?) they cause conditions, a bit afterwards they started to hit a random area around their actual target.

Both sides have them, they're equal and therefore balanced, but that's not the point right now.
The question is do you like them the way they are right now?

I guess most of us died because of a treb at least once (directly or afterwards by an enemy because you were crippled or w/e) and managed to kill someone with the help of a treb. Everyone has the same chance, it's a matter of luck.

I'd personally prefer non-condition trebs. I don't mind random factors as long as their influence isn't too large, but for me the trebs crossed that border since they cause condtions.
Getting killed by an enemy hero because you are cripppled/ruined from a treb is just frustrating for me, since I know that it's not because the enemy was better than me, but that it was just pure luck. It's kinda the same the other way around, killing an enemy that was hit by a treb is not "satisfying" for me.

Note, I didn't include Condition + Non-Random in the pool since that was scrapped by dusk pretty quickly. Most likely because trebs were way too powerful against pushes, I don't think anyone wants that option back. oO
Last edited by 2-P on Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humans don't have the patience to wait even ten minutes for something!

Fledermaus
Keeper of the Keys

Re: Trebs

Post by Fledermaus » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:46 am

2-P wrote:Both sides have them, they're equal and therefore balanced, but that's not the point right now.
Just because it's "balanced" doesn't mean it's a good thing. I personally think they take away from the game rather than adding anything to it at all.
The majority of pushes involve hiring a ton of creeps and then sitting around while they kill the towers for you. Melee heroes are especially disadvanteged here because trebs will go for the closest creeps (and then some random but is still mostly closer to the closest creeps) i.e. the melee ones hitting the towers. This means that if a melee joins in attacking a tower, he will get a treb or two to the face (twinking hurting unless you're anyone but Druaguuu) and then either be easy pray for the enemy (cripple/ruin) or not be able to do shit to the tower (maim). Your creeps will probably die after a couple rounds too, meaning your cripple/ruined ass will get focused by the towers and you're a goner.
It's not as bad for ranged heroes because they wont be near the front line most of the time and can safely siege from the back but this is just really silly..

Idk, I didn't used to mind trebs until I realized they make the game really lame because pushes don't involve the big strong melee brutes ripping on a tower, they involve hiring a bunch of creeps and then hiding behind them to collect the faction when they do all the work.
2-P wrote:I guess most of us died because of a treb at least once (directly or afterwards by an enemy because you were crippled or w/e) and managed to kill someone with the help of a treb. Everyone has the same chance, it's a matter of luck.
I would argue that, melee heroes will get hit a lot more than ranged ones, unless they are pussies and don't go near creeps (which is what ends up happening most of the time).

My vote is for a "Remove them" option (in case you couldn't figure that out from my post/rants at Dusk in the past).

EDIT: I also god damn hate how they make 2 lanes per team win the first push (order top and bottom mid, bane bottom and top mid)

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:52 am

there's no poll option to remove them?

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:07 pm

I don't think I've ever died to a treb or as that as a cause when I was playing seriously. Random aim annoys me, but whatever, just because it doesn't hit the creeps it should when I go top or bot. I haven't seen any trebs hit top/bot during any sieges, or can't recall it. Arguably, I'm not hit all that often anyway.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

2-P
Revenent of the Replies

Post by 2-P » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Oxygen wrote:there's no poll option to remove them?
Added. You can edit polls afterwards here, nice. oO

Fled:
I could live without them as well. What I like about them is that they add to the "war feeling" of the map, so they don't really bother me as long as their impact on the gameplay isn't too large.
EDIT: I also god damn hate how they make 2 lanes per team win the first push (order top and bottom mid, bane bottom and top mid)
haha, true. xD

Medivh.
Champion Noobite

Post by Medivh. » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:38 pm

What was said about trebuchets here sounds logical. So I voted on removing them. Wonder why they were put there in the first place...I have an idea why, but bleh.
Revenge of the thorny bum!

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:16 pm

Don't have a problem with them, they seem to be working as intended.

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:01 am

I enjoy them.
Gives the battle an 'edge' and a unique feel.
The random luck of course is a favorite, but I know people on Bnet don't like what they can't control.
My only problem with them...

I want FLAMING COWS.
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Cooldood
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Cooldood » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:33 am

I've always advocated for being able to launch Glyphe >_<
I guess that isn't happening though. Whenever I play DoE I feel the pain of watching my wave get smacked into the ground - but the Epic feel of a siege does get enhanced with them... maybe if the randomness factor could increase and they would fire into an area even larger than before?
Let the music flow through your soul

Walk the road, see the sights, cos boy, you aint coming back!

Kings_Mercy
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Kings_Mercy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:53 am

I like them in that they make it a more warlike surrounding trebs flying you get hit your hindered maybe a 1second knockdown instead of cripple or something i dunno. Or even the possibility of making it so your team has to pay to upgrade your treb to cause conditions? i dunno just some ideas.

Cooldood
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Cooldood » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:15 am

Launch cactusss >_<
I like the idea of having to pay to upgrade them to cause conditions... right now apart from creeps theres really nothing that you pool for. Pooling is cool.
Let the music flow through your soul

Walk the road, see the sights, cos boy, you aint coming back!

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:14 am

Could add a shadow under their landing spot, now that would be pretty cool me thinks.

2-P
Revenent of the Replies

Post by 2-P » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:09 pm

Oxygen wrote:Could add a shadow under their landing spot, now that would be pretty cool me thinks.
Yeah that would be awesome. Preferably a shadow that gets larger and larger the closer the missile comes, though I'm not sure if that's even possible.
maybe a 1second knockdown
The game in which I see Discord getting canceled like that will be me my last doe game. ^^

Kings_Mercy
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Kings_Mercy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:13 pm

Lol yea i suppose i didnt take into account the channeled spells XD that would be a pretty big downer.

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:30 pm

Trebuchets are epic and badass. There should more more trebuchets and these extra trebuchets should randomly target units instead of targeting the closest units. The trebuchets should also have a chance to cast Psionic Storm whenever they hit, and units that die from trebuchets should explode in a very gore-filled explosion, causing nearby units to Burn. And trebuchets should apply all conditions, all of the time.
/jk

Trebuchets are epic and help increase the epic feeling. The random target area should be much greater, or spawn cycle limit increased.

Return to “Updates & Discussion”