One-Shot - Tangent 3: Necropolis

Here is where ongoing, thought out, or finalized works can be posted for the viewing pleasure of the entire forums. Please, remember to give constructive criticism to anyone asking for an opinion.
Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

One-Shot - Tangent 3: Necropolis

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Sat May 30, 2009 11:48 am

Thought we could use a spiff to get in the mood before The Killzone gets out.
If you remember Antillia: Recall Data
If not; feel free to make someone new....or just do that anyways.

This isn't 28 Days.
This isn't Left4Dead.
This isn't Resident Evil.

A normal human, put into abnormal circumstances can do wonders.
...or die trying.

Welcome to Antillia City.
Kill for the Living.
Kill for the Dead.
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Re: One-Shot - Tangent 3: Necropolis

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Sat May 30, 2009 12:14 pm

Alexi opened the door with a slight jerk, the wave of death smashing into him.
It was sweltering for no good reason. A 'freak' heat wave had hit the urban district of Antillia and it was going to be murder out there on the streets. Alexi took a few steps out into the dismal heat and glanced at the traffic a few blocks down, thankful that his bar wasn't on one of the main roads. The 'Iron Eagle' was a building from an older day, a braver age he would say. He purchased the place almost a year ago from a kind old man that had enjoyed a good long life of tending, owning, and operating the 'old bird' but was quite 'tuckered out' as he put it. The place had been fortified during the 'roaring twenties' when the Iron Eagle was used as a point of operations for various less-than-legal activities. It still had plenty of secret rooms and private dens, some of which were opened up, some of which still remained 'private' and all of them put to use in one form or another. Alexi had taken a very secure and secret room as his inner office as soon as he was shown it. It was a well sized room, comfortable with a desk, bed, mini fridge, and a few shelves that had his personal stuff strewn about it. All-in-all the place was almost meant for him.

The heat kicked him in the face and that was enough to turn him back inside.
Business was steady, people coming in for drinks and shade, the cool kiss of the dark lit booths and the whirl of the air recyclers. As owner and operator Alexi technically didn't have to work behind the counter or in the kitchens, but he enjoyed some actual work that didn't require him to be hunched over a computer all the time with a phone in his hand. Stepping back into the bar was like walking into a freezer after being in that heat. His body adjusted rapidly, welcoming the cool air against his skin. Keeping in his own dress code, Alexi wore muted colors, black Airwalks with the no-slip grip for the kitchen, black Dickies and a short-sleeved steel gray shirt with a nice black vest. A hand cloth hung from his black leather belt, a staple in this business.

The door shut behind him as one of the bouncers was eager to close it.
Alexi crossed back over to the bar and got the attention of one of the tenders.
"Angela, whats the stock?" he asked, inquiring after anything he might be low on.
She glanced at the lower tiers, made a hand sign to the other tender, which replied with a 'no' head shake, then she turned back to Alexi flashing that infamous smile of hers.
"Everything's good Alex."
He nodded with a small smile and slapped the counter.
"Roy Rogers when you get a chance...I'll slip into the kitchen for a sec."
"Anything for you." she said with a mocking eyelash wave.
Alexi rolled his eyes and crossed the bar toward the kitchens.
Cruor Vult

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat May 30, 2009 1:21 pm

For the love of God...
"We need you to cut the ribbon to open a school on Monday!" came from his left.
"Sir, you've got to be at the Veteran's Hospital tomorrow to wish the visiting Governor good health!" from his right.
"Honey, buy some milk on the way home from work!" on his cell phone via text message.

Let's take a step back. His name is Spencer Caldwell and he is the mayor of Antillia City. Unsurprisingly, there are countless things one such mayor has to attend to on a daily basis, this day worse than usual. He casually noted to his secretary to schedule him for both the hospital and the school opening, then responded to his wife in stride with the message: "Skim or whole? : )"

Letting loose a quick sigh at his newfound moment of respite before the next wave of missions he had to accomplish to keep his city happy, he glanced around his office and mused over its finer details. The previous mayor thought it meaningful to have a self-portrait over his desk, but Spencer had it replaced with a Van Gogh the day he moved into office. Sure it wasn't an original, God knows it'd be stolen if it was, but he liked his Starry Night. The room was hardwood all-around, including the flooring. The walls were red cedar and he suspected the floor was cedar as well from its scent, which always served to calm him in the most appropriate of times. He liked having palm trees in his office too, it reminded him of that one vacation he'd taken on his honeymoon to Hawaii and the clear blue waters he missed so much there. There were other paintings on the walls, mostly of different historical buildings in the city and of other landmarks that are of supposed value to the city - the downtown district, Chinatown, the monument in front of city hall, and so forth.

He needed to take a break, but it was still a few hours before he could leave the office and go home. He decided to work on some of the paperwork necessary to deal with the board of education for that new school opening up the following Monday.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Sat May 30, 2009 2:09 pm

Compared to outside, the kitchen was practically a frozen tundra.
Alexi moved past the cleaning hands and found Thomas right where he had left him that morning, laughing over the black top. Alexi moved to stand next to him, clapping him on the shoulder. "Still trying to burn this place down?"
Thomas chuckled. "You say that every time you find me here." the cook replied.
"Just wanted to see if there was anything we needed to be picked up."
Thomas shook his head. "No Alexi, I think we are set for the day...go relax for a bit...we can handle things."
Alexi nodded and gave a two finger salute and stated an "Aye Sir!" then ducked out before the pots and pans came crashing down around him. Alexi never stopped tormenting poor Thomas after he retired from the military life.

Alexi stepped back into the bar and let his gaze wash over the room.
A glass was set down on the bar to his right. He knew without looking that Angela or Vee had set down a Roy Rogers and went back into the fray of making sure people were kept happy with their orders. Alexi took the glass and drained about a fourth of it before he realized how long it had been since he had taken a drink. Taking a seat at the empty end of the bar Alexi closed his eyes for a moment and went somewhere far away.
Cruor Vult

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat May 30, 2009 2:52 pm

A few hours passed, he'd signed at least a half-dozen more documents, and had authorized the construction of at least 2 structures somewhere on the outskirts of town. It was roughly 5PM now, meaning he wouldn't be arrested for leaving the office now and anyone that needed him at this point could wait until tomorrow. He felt like a drink before heading home, his family usually wasn't expecting him until 7 or so. He snapped his fingers suddenly, remembering that he also had to get milk before going home. That gave him at least an hour and a half to relax.

He grabbed his suit jacket from the coat rack next to his door and walked out into the lobby. His secretary, Molly, looked suddenly up at him from the computer monitor. She was working on recoloring his schedule so it'd be easier to figure out when he was supposed to do what. The previous secretary hadn't been so diligent, Molly certainly was stepping it up.

"I'll be going to have a drink before heading home. If you need me, please send me a text," he said to her with a sincere smile. She smiled back warmly and responded with "Certainly, sir. I'll see you in the morning."

He swept his way through city hall, past armored statues bearing numerous family sigils. The enticing, red carpet extending from the office area to the front door was illuminated by the stained-glass dome above and the sunlight shining through. The wooden walls seemed to glow with a radiance as if they themselves were alive. As he exited the building through the swiveling door, he checked his watch and began walking down the street towards the Iron Eagle.

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Sat May 30, 2009 8:12 pm

F-in' laid off. Really? How the hell did you manage to get yourself into this position. I mean really, get your shit together, man.
These thoughts perpetuated his no long sober head. Another swig from his flask. David Garnett sits alone in his living room on his couch in his apartment on the third floor up at the Housing District near the factory. A piercing headache keeps him awake and he tries to drink the pain away. David hiccups as he leans over to the TV remote to catch what's going in the city. He takes another drink.

What the hell am I doing? I'm by myself in a small as hell apartment drinking watching news that I don't care about. I should be out there looking for a job. Don't wanna get evicted from here... Do I?
David pauses and thinks carefully.

Wait. Yes I do.

He turns off the TV and grabs a newspaper then flips into the front page. It was the usual stuff about the factory and the mines including more stuff about the Mayor doing his own business. David chuckles and takes a sip from his flask. He turns to the business section and found nothing that would help get him a job. Then again, he did go through several "important" phases in his life. For one, he did get fired from his job for handling/destroying expensive equipment while being intoxicated. But what else would a guy do when his wife gets a divorce and takes away a good majority of his money plus gaining custody over his only son. He's also in his late thirties getting into his forties next year. Not a good time for a man of his stature to find work in this society.

David looks at the clock and it was about to be evening. He puts the newspaper aside and throws the flask into the garbage, leaning forward to watch more TV but his stomach lurches forward. He stands up and walks into his hallway and into the bathroom, leaning over to the toilet. 3. 2. 1. A retching noise echoes through the apartment and a minute passes by.

You are killing yourself, David. Couple more days of this, it would be long until the landlord gets the message that you are done and you get the kick.

David stands up and looks at himself in the mirror. A 5"10' man weighing about 240~ pounds, scruffy facial hair as usual, and a buzzcut. Average clothing, bags under his eyes (Probably from stress or the alcohol), and probably a gut from all the drinking and the fast food he's been eating for the past two weeks. He flushes the toilet and splashes his face with water from the sink, hoping the cold would wake him up. Back to the mirror. He seems to be more sober compared to the last 5 minutes.

Alright, I can do this. Come on.

David returns to the living room and realized how dirty the place is, he probably hasn't cleaned up any of it ever since his wife and son left him. He kicks the chinese food takeout containers and goes over to the kitchen. At least this place hasn't been touched for awhile. Or just not enough. He opens the fridge and finds only couple bottles of beer and leftovers/scraps that are probably expired. David sighs and shuts the fridge.

Groceries, that's what I'll do. I think I have some spare cash if I didn't spend it on takeout and beer.

He grabs his coat in the living room and check his pockets. Great, he found cash. It looks about a good 50 in here. He puts on the coat and walks out of his apartment. He checks the locks and walks down to the elevator, he hits Down and waits. Ding. Ding. Ding! The elevator opens up and David gets into the elevator and goes down. During this time, he thinks about what he should do after this. Go back to the newspaper and look for a place to work? Find a way to talk to his former wife and kid again? Or move out of the city. He contemplates on this as the elevator creaks and ends on the first floor.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Sun May 31, 2009 3:06 pm

As the sun went down business started to pick up heavy.
The extra hands came in and the bar was operating as smooth as ever. Alexi had put himself in front of the damned computer an hour or so ago. He hated paperwork, oh he could handle anything from taxes to stock orders, but he just hated doing it. He had a secretary that handled this sort of thing most of the time, but even she needed a break now and then. Sitting back in his chair Alexi sighed. He just put a sizable dent into the 'In' folder and was out of something to drink. Leaning back over the desk, Alexi paged the bar with the touch of a button. Two dashes was all he needed to send.

"Sometimes it's good to be the boss..." he muttered to no-one in particular.
He tapped a few keys and checked his email.
"Junk...junk...and oh look junk..." he sighed and checked the time.
He should have an honorable guest arriving soon...same as always.
Angela had found the time to pay him a visit as a hand placed a glass down next to his.
"Perfect timing..." he said before looking up at her. She cocked an eyebrow.
"Prep the Capone room Angela...his Honor should be with us shortly. I'll be right down to help."
"Sure thing Alex." she replied turning around and heading out the door.
Alexi shook his head after he watched her leave then put the computer on stand-by mode.
He gathered himself, took his drink in hand, and headed down to meet the mayor.
Cruor Vult

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sun May 31, 2009 4:06 pm

Antillia was a quaint city. For being a city at all, he had no qualms about walking around on the sidewalks despite being the mayor. Some people recognized him and nodded or shook his hand, most didn't have a clue who he was and would assume he was just another citizen. That didn't bother him in the slightest.

He turned a corner featuring a newly opened Starbucks followed by a Borders bookstore. It looked so pristine and clean, something he prided himself on forcing the streetcleaners to uphold. He had put a lot of state money towards them this past year and it had really paid off, the place looked better than ever. Up the street he saw the old building, host to the Iron Eagle, a bar from a time beyond our own. He loved the atmosphere of the place, it felt new-age, but at the same time very, very old. It reminded him of a day before days when the little things mattered and you could simply relax without the worries of a city upon you. This was all likely augmented by the fact that as mayor, he was dealing with magnanimously more than the average Joe.

He stepped into the bar and immediately took off his jacket. Some of the customers looked his way, those who did turned back almost immediately out of lack of interest. He walked forward, looking for the owner of the place. Alexi, his name was, and he'd been a good friend of Spencer's since the days before he was the mayor. He was a good man, loyal to the end, and that seemed all too fitting for the owner of this establishment.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Sun May 31, 2009 4:18 pm

"Ah, your honor!" Alexi said loudly, like he usually did.
He had just made it down the stairs when he spotted the mayor waltzing into the place. Crossing the room was easy enough as the Iron Eagle wasn't quite half-full as of the moment. Alexi plopped his drink down on the bar as he reached it and shook his friends hand.
"I have the Capone ready for you if you'd like..." he began with a grin.
"...or we can sit out here a spell and get dirty looks from most people."
He shrugged and sipped his drink as he picked it back up.
"You choice as always."
Cruor Vult

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sun May 31, 2009 4:27 pm

Alexi had always called him honor jokingly since his election. It didn't really bother him, quite the contrary, he found it rather entertaining. Not even the people he deals with daily call him that. He pondered upon where exactly he wanted to relax. He still had roughly an hour and a half left before having to pick up milk to get home.

"Actually, Alexi, I'd very much like to sit out here tonight. I've been feeling a down to Earth setting."
He normally chose the Capone room simply because they could relax together and not have to worry about intrusions or anything. Plus, the fireplace within the room is quite cozy when it's chilly outside. However, today was neither cold nor a day when he didn't want to deal with anyone. He wanted to just enjoy a drink at the bar.

"How about the booth over there?" Spencer asked while pointing to an unoccupied spot in the corner of the room.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Sun May 31, 2009 11:19 pm

Alexi glanced over at the empty booths and shrugged.
"Sure thing." Alexi leaned over the bar and made a few hand motions once he caught the tenders attention. He stood and eyed Angela, shaking his head 'no' and then pointing to the booth they were heading to. She nodded and headed toward the private bar behind one of the false walls to fix a Black Blood and Devils Nail for Spencer and Alexi respectively. It was their usual 'firetide' drinks no matter what the occasion.

Alexi slid into the booth and finished his Roy Rogers.
"So..." he began. "...pass any exciting bills today?"
Cruor Vult

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:22 am

David stands next to a payphone on a corner near the convenience store where he bought his food and essentials.

Riiing, riiiiing, riii--click
"Yes? Hello?" David takes a deep breath and clears his throat.
"Hey, Chris. It's me." It was his ex-wife, Christine, and the phone conversation got awkward.
"Oh... You." David thought the tone between the "hello" and the "oh.." changed too quickly. Figures she would still be mad at him.
"Yes, it's me. Just calling to make small talk and to check out on what's going on over there" Hopefully this would ease up the conversation, he was trying his best from stuttering and mumbling. It takes awhile for her to respond.
"Doing just fine, Charlie is having trouble sleeping but that's probably because you are not around, unfortunately." David rubs his temples, she's still can punch and jab even over the phone. He tried to think of something to work with.
"That sounds like a problem, maybe I should take him off of your hands." He heard a scoff in the background. He knew he was pushing it, but naturally he's a dad that misses his own son. He heard fumbling in the background and possibly yelling. Sounded like Charlie is crying again.
"David, as you can see. I'm busy here. Call back later." The phone hangs up and David is leaning against the payphone. She definitely avoided his offer.

David slammed the phone back in place and picked up his bags. He began to walk back to his apartment with a migraine. Maybe he should see a therapist for this crap but first, he'll have to make something to eat.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:33 am

"So... pass any exciting bills today?"

He mused over the question for almost a whole minute, looking around as if deep in thought.
"I authorized the construction of a few buildings," he smirked, "I'm still looking into remodeling this whole city block after this piece of history, you know."

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:09 pm

Alexi raised his eyebrows.
"A whole city block like it was in the twenties?"
Angela placed the drinks in front of them, smiling as she did so and left the two to talk. Alexi couldn't help but watch her walk away as he brought the drink to his lips. He had half a mind to call her back, just to watch her walk away again. He sipped the Devils Nail, his teeth wiggling from the kick before setting the glass back down.
"That sure would be something to see...well I would think so."
He glanced up at his comrade and smirked himself.
"I'm sure there are more than a few members of the board that would rather have the money going somewhere else..."
Like their pockets... he added to himself.
Cruor Vult

Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Post by Jericho Veronus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:15 pm

Tyler wiped his hand across of the top of the clock before blowing, knocking away any free dust left of what had collected there over the past week or so. His little antique shop never got too much foot traffic so it was easy for items to collect dust. He looked at the clock's face before stepping down off the stool he hand been standing on.
7:34
Although it was an antique, it still kept perfect time.

Pulling the key from the shutter lock, he looked up towards the sky before walking from his place of business. The sun had already set but the street lamps that ran along the buildings lit up the sidewalk well enough for Tyler to see where he was going as well as a good distance ahead of him. His head was slumped though, so it seemed as if he didn't need to see what was around him but rather he knew the area well enough to walk through while his mind wandered elsewhere.

Almost out of habit, he turned off the street and into a bar, never having full intention of entering but rather simply submitting himself to wherever his feet took him. His head finally raised as the sudden burst of noise met his eyes as he left the silence of the streets. He looked around, not expecting to see anything particular but rather just out of curiosity. Walking over to a small round table with a lone chair, he sat down, continuing to survey the scene.

Often he had walked by the place, and sometimes looked in through the open door if he happened to pass as someone was entering or leaving, but never actually gone in for a drink. He wasn't usually one for social scenes but then again, it wasn't like he was surrounded by people paying any attention to him.
May God have mercy on your soul, for you shall find none here!

Return to “Collected Works”