One-Shot - Tangent 1 Reload

Here is where ongoing, thought out, or finalized works can be posted for the viewing pleasure of the entire forums. Please, remember to give constructive criticism to anyone asking for an opinion.
Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Re: One-Shot - Tangent 1 Reload

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Wed May 06, 2009 1:16 am

As soon as she slipped off the bed, Hector had his revolver back in his hands.
He wasn't as stupid as to think an unarmed woman, even injured at that, was defenseless. People died for thinking like that, especially nowadays. The hammer wasn't cocked yet, the weapon pointed at the floor, but he was waiting for her to try it. It wouldn't be the first person he shot down for doing something stupid. She stood with her back to him, hands on the bed.

"I made most of the modifications, yes. The pistol was a joint project."
He squinted, not sure he heard her correctly.
A straight answer about something he actually had interest in.
Maybe...

Ignoring her entire rant about how obligatory mercs were and how inept he was, he got to the point.
"I can pay, well, for customizations to weaponry. I can guarantee both payment in caps or in supplies and a ready income of customers wanting something done. I can get anything you need in way of parts to perform said customizations and the tools to do it with." He mulled it over for a moment before adding one last piece.
"Finally, if you'd like security, I can provide a place in which you can perform this job without having to worry about a tide of Muties knocking down the door..."

He wasn't holding his breath, but her answer would change the next few hours.
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed May 06, 2009 7:49 am

Two beeps passed through his receiver. He could never tell what the commander actually meant by the transmission, only that he ever used it when he wanted to be left alone or simply did not want to talk through the radio. Vince had gotten the picture in the past that it was best to not continue transmission after such beeps.

He continued looking around and eyed a few other humans in the far offs from the structure. All seemed to be scavenging things, nothing of note. He was using his head-mount scope to see what they were onto; some guy found a stack of 4 caps or so lying around and looked around as though he were being watched. Another guy was sleeping on some half-charred newspapers inside of another building's window. None of these within even a half-mile of the Talon's current refuge, he ignored the civilians.

He turned to an air-conditioning unit nearby his position with a filled plastic bag atop it. He had remembered fighting that Deathclaw down in the vault and wished he were in a laboratory checking this sample out instead of standing post. He couldn't ask the commander to stand down from his position, though, he was the only one that was trained in long-range combat of the nature required here. He wondered upon what he could learn from the creature's hand. Maybe he could attach it to his power gauntlet and create a new type of fist weapon? Maybe he could learn something of their origins? There was so much potential here...

Pins came up to the roof to check on him.
"Vincent, how are you doing up here? Need a shift switch?"
Pins was a good guy, really good with assault weapons and heavy machinery. He didn't have a knack for the kind of work needed here, but still... Vince hadn't slept at all and probably was no better than Pins at sniping right now. Vince began packing up his belongings and re-clipped the Deathclaw's hand to his belt.

"Yeah, that's probably a good idea, I haven't slept at all.."
He mounted the Dragunov to his back and checked his shotgun to make sure it had its safety on before swinging it back around his hip. He was going to relax, clean his rifle, and then catch as many Z's as he could before the commander finished interrogating the girl he'd shot. He had almost forgotten that girl existed, clearly that's why the commander hadn't wanted to speak. Fortunate for her his rifle wasn't designed to shred bodies, just penetrate them. It made it very effective against heavily armored targets, able to pierce full-through a Deathclaw. It wasn't effective for taking them down, though, if the shot missed a critical organ. A trade-off, Vince mused.

He began taking the ladder downstairs as Pins unlatched the late Scopes' rifle to check the perimeter with. It was a nice rifle, one of the only two long-range rifles aside his own in the unit. It was a 7.62mm FN-A2 Special Purpose Rifle (SPR) equipped with an AN/PSV-10 Day+Night Vision Sniper Scope. Impressive piece of machinery, really, far more modern and American than Vince's Russian rifle. It did the kind of damage the Dragunov didn't, ripping up a target's insides. Its main issue was lack of penetration, lack of range, and naturally, having a built-in scope...

Vince remembered what he was doing and noticed he was just standing at the ladder looking at Pins' weapon. He began again descending into the structure, off to do his normal business.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Scarlet
Global Moderator

Post by Scarlet » Wed May 06, 2009 11:34 am

Susan heard his movements behind her. They were unmistakable. The building itself didn't have much commotion going on, by the sound of it. Almost no noise at all. So the grind of the revolver as he dragged it back into his hands was practically deafening, as subtle as it had been. A cautious person. Most people were. Most people had to be. Nothing special, there. Nothing unexpected.

"No," she said. "Not just because you're Talon. I'm not exactly eager to work with or for anyone. And I don't like staying in one place too long." Susan stood on her toes, flexing her arms and legs. Her muscles felt cramped. The wound at her side gave off a short stab of pain, like a warning. Like it was telling her it was about ready to gape open if she kept up the movement. She looked around for her boots and waited for the mercenary to reply.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Thu May 07, 2009 1:48 pm

Hector let out a short sigh then keyed his Vox to 'on' but didn't say anything directly into it.
"I expected as much from a wastelander..." Hector thumbed back the hammer on the revolver, the sound echoing in the small room. A heartbeat later, he released the tension again and placed the weapon in its holster, safety engaged. "If that's the case..." he continued. "...then now we have a problem. See...you've already killed a few of my men, some of the others want your blood for that...." he crossed his arms, lightly tapping his right index finger against his left bicep. "...since you've declined my offer I'm having a hard time seeing any particular reason why I should just let you walk away. After all..." he shrugged. "...you said yourself that we are scum...and you kill scum. Letting you have weapons and the freedom to just be about your business doesn't really suit my near future interests."

Every member of his team would be hearing this exchange, at least those with active vox sets.
"I'd say that puts you in a tight spot Susan..."
It was up to her on how to play it now.
Cruor Vult

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu May 07, 2009 3:34 pm

He heard the whole conversation while halfway to his quarters. Everyone in the hall and the rooms surrounding seemed to stop and listen in. He paused and waited the conclusion of the discussion with anticipation, at this point Vince was pissed he didn't have Scopes' rifle when he shot her, that would've ruptured her heart had that been the weapon he'd fired with. Then this whole ordeal wouldn't even be happening.

Scarlet
Global Moderator

Post by Scarlet » Thu May 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Susan said nothing. Just kept scanning the floor, looking for her boots. Spotted them near the end of the bed, on the floor. Kept both hands out, palms open, fingers spread, and walked towards them, slow and calm. No aggression or anxiousness in her movements. Sat down on the bed and stared down at them. "You mentioned something about information earlier." she said in a hushed tone, almost a whisper. "About it being scarce. What do you know about the Vaults in the greater D.C. area? And the ones outside D.C.? I'm useless now, right? Not really a threat. Dead girl walking, far as you're concerned. So it couldn't hurt to answer."

Then she twisted around and looked at the Talon, smiling. "Hey, is it OK if I put my boots on?"

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Fri May 08, 2009 12:26 am

Hector kept his gaze level with hers.
His body tensed, muscles coiled as she moved closer to him. His right arm fell to his side, ready to lash out, his left hand hooked a thumb just behind the lip of his belt behind his hip. Fingers brushed the handle of the knife that lay in wait, anticipating, begging to be released. She didn't seem aggressive or anxious, but it was the innocent mask that often hid the most fiendish of monsters. She took a seat on the bed and spoke in a hushed tone, as if they were sharing a secret. Her eyes were on her boots.
Paranoia kicked in.

Pointless chatter on Vaults...distraction...boots...weapon in the boots? She wants her boots. Kill her...bullet to the face. Waste of time. Shes trying to get a weapon. Chuck her boots at you...who throws a shoe? Honestly? Hidden blade? Got a blade for ya right here girl...

He kept his voice steady, talking in the same volume he had been.
"As if you care what I say. You're going to do what you want regardless..."
His brow fell across his eyes, that cold thing happened to his gut, and everything seemed just that much more in focus.
"I know plenty about the Vaults in the wasteland, but it hardly seems like something you'd need to know. Dead girl walking right? No point in spending the next two hours in conversation if you're just going to try and kill me and as many of my men as you can before scattering to the wind....so why not skip the bullshit Susan..." His eyes...his eyes were alive with a beast, a demon waiting to be released.

- - -

Red sat in the hall just outside the door a ways.
She could be patient when the need called for it, silent, motionless.
She slowly turned her head toward the room her commander was in, hands methodically sliding brass knuckles into place. All sorts of hell could potentially be released in a room not so far away and she was going to be part of it...that was for damn sure. Red hadn't liked the idea of bringing that biscuit to the Tor in the first place. All it would take was one wrong move on the wastelanders part and Red would have leave to put her in the ground...

Just give the word...
Cruor Vult

Scarlet
Global Moderator

Post by Scarlet » Fri May 08, 2009 12:57 am

She could feel his eyes boring into her back, fierce, intense. The tension in the room had gone up a few notches in the space of maybe three seconds. Susan could sense the energy rolling off him, crackling in the air. She flexed her toes. Ran some muscle tension through her calves, her thighs, her back, all the way up to her shoulders. "I asked because I don't want my blood splattered all over this room. You're tense. That hand cannon is making me nervous. If I was looking to try and kill you, I would have by now. There were plenty of opportunities."

"And you probably don't know as much about Vaults as I do. I lived in one. Ever hear of one-oh-five?"

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri May 08, 2009 9:58 am

The conversation was driving him mad. This stupid girl was evading and dodging every question he had by asking about her damned boots and stupid shit like that. He wanted to punch her, or better yet... Scopes' rifle could punch through metal with its depleted uranium 7.62 rounds. If he had that rifle, he could probably splatter her across the wall of that room through the wall. He wanted to really badly at this point; he wasn't mad, just bothered that she wanted to be coy at a time like this. You think if a Super Mutant were talking to her instead of the commander, she might try having sex with it to calm it down instead of shooting it.

He decided to visit the interrogation room instead of going to sleep, he wouldn't be getting any so long as this was going on. Tired and annoyed, he ran into Red who nearly punched his face in with her brass knuckles. They met eye to eye and both nodded at each other without making a sound. Vince flicked on his IR scanner and watched the body-play inside of the room carefully. If she made a single move at the commander, there'd be no way she would get out of here in any fewer than a thousand pieces.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Fri May 08, 2009 8:20 pm

Hector was quite past his stress point with her by now.
He re-keyed his vox set with practiced hand motions and tabbed in a local net.

"Maps, report to the Stitch Kitch...." his eyes never left her. He turned his neck to bark out over his shoulder.
"You too Red...bring Vince if that's him out there...." Hector assumed his impromptu 'seconds' would be out in the hall. It was standard procedure whenever they brought in 'a live one' to the Tor. One would ask questions while the others waited outside or nearby, sometimes even sat in the same room...not saying anything. A little insurance against the unknown. That settled, Hector focused his attention all on her again.

"We hit Vault-Tec HQ not more than a month ago...Pray we don't have anything Susan."
If she had nothing than Hector had made his choice...she would die here.

- - -

Maps sighed in his makeshift bunk space.
"Frikkin' figures..." he mumbled, sitting up and slapping his boots on.
He grabbed his mobile kit and headed down the hall to the Stitch Kitchen.

- - -

In the hall Red flashed a big grin at Vince.
She took two steps then turned around, giving a mock bow and waving a hand as if to say 'After you'.
She could see that this woman had Vince in a twist...probably because she survived his shot. She could sympathize...in the older days she loved the thrill of the hunt, to stalk, to chase, to kill. Nothing was worse than when prey escaped. Nothing.

- - -

Pins looked up as the hatch opened behind him.
"Hey..." he called with a slight grin.
"Hey yourself..." Needles replied.
They embraced for a moment before watching the sun set....together.
Cruor Vult

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri May 08, 2009 8:38 pm

She would have died if we hadn't fixed her up...
He saw the look in Red's eyes and his flared back in kind. She knew how he felt all too well.

He opened the door and lead Red inside. He heard shuffling behind him and saw Maps round the corner as he walked down the hall to the room. He saw the glare in his commander's eyes, this was going to be good. If she had to die, he only hoped he got to shoot her down as she ran away..

He stood by the door across from the woman and waited patiently.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Fri May 08, 2009 9:21 pm

Red, and indeed Vince was there in record time.
On the inside Hector was grinning and shaking his head. He had a feeling Vince hadn't liked the idea of bringing her from the start, now that he had time to dwell upon it...Hector really didn't know what he was thinking. Vince took a rest by the wall next to the door. He practically had an aura around him. Red...Hector had no idea what went on in that girls mind sometimes...Red slid into the door frame, her brass knuckles making a *thump* as they connected with the wood. She was grinning her big grin and Hector swore that she licked her bottom lip just a bit with the edge of her tongue. His mouth twitched just a fraction at the right corner.

"So whats the verdict Styx? She gonna make it through the night?"
Only Red...only she would have the nerve or carefree leave to drop his name.
Still, he didn't mind...
It had stemmed from a brief but bloody encounter with the larger Talon group they used to be with. Red had tagged him with it, citing that she had read a history fragment about a river in the realm of the dead...a river that once you cross, you never come back from. It had suited him just fine.

"That all comes to down to her..." he stated.
Maps, a smaller guy, ducked in under Reds arm and set his gear on the table.
"Location?" he asked, not even giving Susan a once over.
"Vault One-Zero-Five." Hector intoned.
Maps began to punch a few keys on his mobile...he'd have an answer in a moment or two.
Cruor Vult

Scarlet
Global Moderator

Post by Scarlet » Sat May 09, 2009 12:31 am

The room got crowded in record time, Susan thought wryly. First through the door was someone she recognized instantly. The guy in the weird half-helm, the one with the old unscoped sniper rifle. Vince, most likely. He still had the helmet on. It fit oddly on him, which made sense, since it looked like it was once an impressive piece of equipment. He had a gauntlet attached to his left arm, tied down with a bunch of straps and buckles. It looked like it had some sort of computer on it, like a Pip-Boy. He was obviously some kind of technician for the group. He was maybe an inch or two taller than his commander. Maybe a couple of pounds lighter. He looked angry and resentful, which Susan thought was understandable, under the circumstances.

Second person into the room was a woman. Her hair was shaved at the sides and she was shorter than Susan herself, but not by much. She was in a grey tank top that was too big for her. Susan wondered whether she was wearing this woman's shirt. Maybe they both borrowed their shirts from the same person. Didn't seem to matter much to the woman. She stalked in right behind Vince, eager for some action. She was bloodthirsty. That was clear. Her eyes were bright and fierce, twin green flames alight with ire. She had brass knuckles on both hands.

Last guy in was short and stocky. Susan could see heavy corded muscle through his shirt. He looked irritated and a little downcast, like he'd just been woken up. His hair was a mess. After studying them Susan smiled and turned her back on them. Looked down at her boots. "So I guess it's okay to put my boots on now. Four people watching me, all of 'em rearing for a fight. Got to be safe enough, right?" She sat and waited, surrounded by hostiles.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat May 09, 2009 6:00 pm

"So I guess it's okay to put my boots on now. Four people watching me, all of 'em rearing for a fight. Got to be safe enough, right?"
Stupid woman was trying to play coy.

"No, as a matter of fact it is not okay for you to put on your boots. If you move, I will see you dead. You will wait until my commander tells you what to do and how to do it and only then will you do anything." Vince managed to say that all without even sounding angry, which internally surprised even him. He had his hands behind himself in a parade rest position, but with a adjustment so one hand was on his shotgun's safety and the other its grip.

He hoped the commander didn't mind his talking out to her, although Vince trusted that he wouldn't.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Sun May 10, 2009 7:31 pm

Hector spared a glance at Vince and arched an eyebrow ever so slightly.
Well things seem to be in hand...
Hector turned his back on Susan and rested his hands on the table Maps was using.
"What've we got Maps?" he muttered.
The man shook his head. "Not a lot sir. One-Oh-Five wasn't issued a G.E.C.K. during construction I can tell you that much..." his tone was hushed in what he probably thought was a quiet tone. Not that everyone wouldn't have heard in such a small room anyway. Hector nodded, keeping his own voice level. "Well? Anything else important?"

Again, Maps shook his head.
"I've got nothing sir..."
Hector sighed and turned around.
"Well that means I either don't give a damn and have you shot or you tell me something very interesting and believable in the next twenty seconds Susan." He crossed his arms and nodded his head, giving her the floor.
Cruor Vult

Return to “Collected Works”