Gunman

If you have a hero to suggest for future versions of DoE, place your suggestion in some readable format in this forum.
ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Gunman

Post by ReDSeX » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:20 pm

You guys got the story down. I'm just throwing abilities out there.

Derdil Glasseye
RailRunner
Strength; Light.

Level 1 Skill:
RATA-TAT-TAT

• Railrunner only sings a single song.
    RATA-TAT-TAT
    RATA-TAT-TAT
    Sacrificing mobility for pure firepower, Derdil literally sinks into the earth as Railrunner fires a long stream of lead at his enemies.

When activated, Derdil is crippled for 3 seconds and has his attack speed is increased by X%. (Crazy high)
Level 1 Skill:
BADABOOM!
  • Derdil smiles something insane as he pounds a volatile-black powder down Railrunner's throat. "Duntcha undastand lads!?" Derdil flashes his soot-stained teeth. "Gettin' in da nitty-gritty is all part of the fun!"

Takes 1 second to load the charge. As Derdil finishes loading, he blasts an explosive charge at his feet. All units (including allies) within 300 yards of Derdil are rocked from the artificial quake. Units are dealt X (lowlowlow) amount of damage and knocked down.
Level 1 Skill:
FlASH BANG!
  • "Whatcha lookin' at? O' ma eye? Tis nuttin . . . 'ere let me show ye . . . lost both ma bulbs in an odd accident way back when I wuz a wee youngin' . . . naw I kin jus' pluck 'em in n' out like they were grapes! Can see many things they sure can . . ."

When activated the Derdil attacks extend burn by 2 seconds. As long as the unit is burning, Derdil is given sight of them. Buff lasts X seconds.
Level 6 Ultimate:
Buck Shot
  • "DUCK LADS!"
    Derdil is knocked down for 1 second from the recoil of the shot. The first unit that the projectile strikes is knocked down and dealt (high) amount of damage.
Just ideas.
Last edited by ReDSeX on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:25 am, edited 13 times in total.

Vinnam
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Re: Gunman

Post by Vinnam » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:26 pm

Oh dear... I seem to have started a chain reaction with Santiago <.<
Trainer: Brendan Creed
ImageImageImage
Lineup: Noir & Batista

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:28 pm

Yuppers. All credit goes to you, buddy.

Vinnam
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by Vinnam » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:56 pm

But... Wha.. Bwuh???

I put time and effort into Santiago, and can honestly say that even though he isn't the best hero in the sub-board, he's the best hero i've come up with to date. This guy is just... hashed together. A hero is a story to be told, his or her abilities an extension which help the character breathe. Your "Gunman" seems to be following a fad, much as I hate to say it. I suggest trying to at least flesh him out. I don't like bones.
Trainer: Brendan Creed
ImageImageImage
Lineup: Noir & Batista

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:09 pm

Vinnam wrote:But... Wha.. Bwuh???

I put time and effort into Santiago, and can honestly say that even though he isn't the best hero in the sub-board, he's the best hero i've come up with to date. This guy is just... hashed together. A hero is a story to be told, his or her abilities an extension which help the character breathe. Your "Gunman" seems to be following a fad, much as I hate to say it. I suggest trying to at least flesh him out. I don't like bones.
The thing I don't like about heroes with stories is that I know that in no way will they ever be accepted into the game that I'm making them more. Dusk already has this grand story plotted out inside his head. Does he ever use our user-created stories? Maybe snippits, sure, but that's about it. It's a shame really. The only thing that he'll ever use are the abilities am I right? So I'll give it to him. And even then, if a hero is accepted/exalted/looked at, he isn't going to use every single ability. So I might as well share interesting spell ideas.

Exerting so much effort into, err, for lack of better words, something that wouldn't be taken so seriously, is kinda pointless.

I am very much following a fad. I'm following in your footsteps.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:40 pm

ReDSeX wrote:The thing I don't like about heroes with stories is that I know that in no way will they ever be accepted into the game that I'm making them more. Dusk already has this grand story plotted out inside his head. Does he ever use our user-created stories? Maybe snippits, sure, but that's about it. It's a shame really. The only thing that he'll ever use are the abilities am I right? So I'll give it to him. And even then, if a hero is accepted/exalted/looked at, he isn't going to use every single ability. So I might as well share interesting spell ideas.

Exerting so much effort into, err, for lack of better words, something that wouldn't be taken so seriously, is kinda pointless.
I think you're confusing a few things here... The key to any hero is a feel that goes beyond just 4 skills and a model, and becomes, at least loosely, a living thing. Even if you don't have a word of backstory written, it can still be just as real and creative as, say, Hollow, with Kaome's tomes of lore. It really comes down to building something that's so brilliantly simple and complex that you can just read the skills and know all about who and what the character is. Or, at the very least, that's the ultimate aim of all of this. Are the skills important? Yes, but not more than the feel. If you really want to just plop down skill ideas, we've got a thread for it, but try to put a bit more umph behind actual suggestions. There are some of us who look forward to reading them, and it's just kindof a downer to read "Gunman, the Gunman"... it's just... meh.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:56 pm

TheDeathstalker wrote:
I think you're confusing a few things here... The key to any hero is a feel that goes beyond just 4 skills and a model, and becomes, at least loosely, a living thing. Even if you don't have a word of backstory written, it can still be just as real and creative as, say, Hollow, with Kaome's tomes of lore. It really comes down to building something that's so brilliantly simple and complex that you can just read the skills and know all about who and what the character is. Or, at the very least, that's the ultimate aim of all of this. Are the skills important? Yes, but not more than the feel. If you really want to just plop down skill ideas, we've got a thread for it, but try to put a bit more umph behind actual suggestions. There are some of us who look forward to reading them, and it's just kindof a downer to read "Gunman, the Gunman"... it's just... meh.
I don't agree with you. The whole gunman archetype has already been used time and time again. You can hardly look at a gunman hero and say that he's going to be brilliant or mildly innovative while being simple. The whole hero is going to revolve around his weapon. And all his weapon really does is shoot.
He shoots this.
He shoots that.
To add any backstory about why it shoots is fluff. Pointless, meaningless fluff. But down to it, the abilities make the hero. Not the fluff. You say it yourself; the hero revolves around it's abilities. The hero is his abilities.
I have 4 abilities right here, friend. I have a hero.

A very, bare hero, but yes, a hero.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:36 am

Haha.
ReDSeX wrote: The thing I don't like about heroes with stories is that I know that in no way will they ever be accepted into the game that I'm making them more. Dusk already has this grand story plotted out inside his head. Does he ever use our user-created stories? Maybe snippits, sure, but that's about it. It's a shame really. The only thing that he'll ever use are the abilities am I right? So I'll give it to him. And even then, if a hero is accepted/exalted/looked at, he isn't going to use every single ability. So I might as well share interesting spell ideas.

Not even. Tristan who was put in for his lovely blackhole sun ward featuring a donut targetting for invisiblity which is the only reason why he was accepted in the first place, was replaced. (Ignore the run-on)
Fahren only kept flickerflame
Dis kept spitfire elemental, but that's being changed a bit for the next version iIIRC
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:48 am

Quick question, who originally made Fahren and Dis?

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:54 am

Graccus Kor: Storm (Fahren)
Pyrax: Pigger (Dis)
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:45 am

ReDSeX wrote:The thing I don't like about heroes with stories is that I know that in no way will they ever be accepted into the game that I'm making them more. Dusk already has this grand story plotted out inside his head. Does he ever use our user-created stories? Maybe snippits, sure, but that's about it. It's a shame really. The only thing that he'll ever use are the abilities am I right? So I'll give it to him. And even then, if a hero is accepted/exalted/looked at, he isn't going to use every single ability. So I might as well share interesting spell ideas.

The feel of the hero is very important.

The skill names are overkill. All caps and with an '!' at the end?

At least come up with a name, even if it is random.

A gunman may not be a fresh idea, but at least place more effort into him. You do realise Dusk doesn't even need to include snippits of anyone's story, but he does.

The Exalted section isn't nessesary, but it's still there.

The spell ideas are hardly interesting.
ReDSeX wrote:I don't agree with you. The whole gunman archetype has already been used time and time again. You can hardly look at a gunman hero and say that he's going to be brilliant or mildly innovative while being simple. The whole hero is going to revolve around his weapon. And all his weapon really does is shoot.
He shoots this.
He shoots that.
To add any backstory about why it shoots is fluff. Pointless, meaningless fluff. But down to it, the abilities make the hero. Not the fluff. You say it yourself; the hero revolves around it's abilities. The hero is his abilities.
I have 4 abilities right here, friend. I have a hero.

A very, bare hero, but yes, a hero.
That is a hero. But it is not a character. There is no personality in ~~IT~~ at all. Not a single. Tiny. Bit. Of Personality.

Also, a story is NOT a description of how a character fights. We're not DotA. We don't "vividly describe the history of our random ~~hero~~".

An example of a story without using the word "shoot".
  • It was hot. Hotter than usual. In a desert. Hot in Hotter......

*Click* I was ready. Were they?

No. They were not. Therefore, I would attack.

... ...

A moment later.

The smoke parted. The corpse fell. Slowly... slowly... Slowly.

It began. I held my rifle.

The small scouting group charges, and I held my ground.

Brown mixed with red. Banite blood was shed that day.
Also, if you did not believe a gunman could be brillant or innovative while remaining simple, would you still be posting this idea here?

Cover Fire (Active)
  • [Gunman] covers the target unit, dealing X physical damage to units that attack it and Maims them for Y seconds. Lasts for Z seconds.
A skill can be infinately simple, and another skill can be extremely complex, but if they both accomplish the same task, with equal success, would they not be the same?
Its... its... a NEW SIG!! OMG!!

O_O"

pandamanar
Revenent of the Replies

Post by pandamanar » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:06 am

guys, there is no point to argueing over this topic, RedSox is obviously just sharing some interesting skill ideas for the Gun-guy archetype, not a complete, polished hero suggestion. And let us all remember that these Heroes that we do design are not for the purpose of being accepted, but to be experiments in what you could do with the map. If you want to put fluff into your hero, so be it, but don't bust his balls for saving his efforts for something more meaningful.
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4c242dfce214c
Play League of Legends, get to level 10 and I get buffs.

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:17 am

Thank you Pandamanar.
SetaSoujirou wrote:Graccus Kor: Storm (Fahren)
Pyrax: Pigger (Dis)
But the main thing that really sold the heroes were the abilities. I could write a 3 page short story about any hero, but if all his abilities were point and click point and click the story means little for naught.

And lightburner, your P. If I wanted to make a story I wouldn't center a hero around it. I won't create a story just to justify a hero. A hero should stand on his own mindless fluff and if my gunhero isn't all that great then I'm not at a loss. Look at the rest of the hero suggestion board buddy.

I can come up with something that would give him a mild taste of personality as you'd call it. Do I like it? Derr, not all that much really.

The baneites came crashing.
Drimir Glasseye's leather-laden boots dug back into the dirt, bracing himself as his lead-heavy weapon, Rail'dz roared death hot and angry. He gritted his teeth, smiling wild and proud as his tongued licked the hot end of a cigar butt.
RATATATATAT

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Several ways to get a hero into DoE.
1. Have a completely awesome skill (Prime example? Dis.)
2. Have awesome lore (Only Kao can pull this off from the way I see it)
3. Have an epic theme (Maybe.)
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:50 am

Loki's right.

No one has ever developed a story that I've been impressed with but Kaome. If someone out and wows me one day with it, you'd best believe I won't ignore it. That is a very difficult thing to do, though, as I'm sure most are aware.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Return to “Hero Suggestions”