One-Shot - Tangent 2 - Siege of the Scar

Here is where ongoing, thought out, or finalized works can be posted for the viewing pleasure of the entire forums. Please, remember to give constructive criticism to anyone asking for an opinion.
Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

One-Shot - Tangent 2 - Siege of the Scar

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:46 pm

The Order of Secrets.
Those of you here know what it is, there is precious little need to be said.

As always in history, glory fades, betrayal appears.
Built on the edge of the Great Desert, the Scar was the first, and now stands as the last, bastion for the Order of Secrets. Once an empire that spread across the entire world, the Order has been broken from without and within. Caught now between the rocks and the Army of Huron, a vast horde of mixed fighting units and unfathomable creatures, the Order of Secrets must break the back of the forces against them...or vanish quietly into the night.

Perhaps it's true what they say...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-<Select your Service>-

Order of the Blade Foot Soldiers; Sword and Shield//Spears (Mixed Units)

Order of the Bow Archers; Bow; Crossbow; Arbalest; (Mixed Units)

Order of the Lance Calvary//Ranged Calvary, Beast back (Mounted on animal other than Horse) ( (Mixed Units)

Order of the Gears Siege: Catapult, Helepolis, Heavy Bolt (Mounted Helepolis)
Steam Knight (Exo-Armor) ((METAL GEAR))

Order of the ^ Rose (Women Only)
Thorned Assassins
Red Medical
White Mages

Order of the Robe Mages (Male Only)

Order of the Wall Elite Defenders adept in the command of Counter-Siegecraft
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...sometimes it's darkest right before dawn.
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Re: One-Shot - Tangent 2 - Siege of the Scar

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:04 am

Kaome Sky Deathand...
Right Hand of the Serpent, Master of the Order of Secrets, Warlord in the Order of the Wall, Forsaken by the Holy Gods, stood on the brink of annihilation and embraced it. The smell before war was intoxicating for him. It was his purpose, the thing he was bred for, the one thing he was best at...save perhaps for the rumors of a few well-endowed women. That little trifle mattered not now, not here on the verge of destruction.

He could see them coming.
The terrain was flat for miles stretching before him and impassable in every other direction. Though he saw them, there was little he could do to stop their advance. The vast horde that stretched the horizon line would soon be funneled by the narrow rock face. Even then that would do little to stem the tide. Thousands came, tens of thousands, of every nation, or every tribe, of every race and gender. All came to fight at the behest of Huron the Sable, to witness the destruction of the last remaining thread of the greatest empire that had ever existed.
The thought sat ill with him.

He spat, the Deathand, watching as the spittle vanished over the edge and beyond even his keen sight.
He stood without arm nor armor, enjoying the crisp air and the full view...the shouts of men and women getting ready for war...of supplies being called, lost, recalled, found again, and finally stowed in the perfect orchestration of outfitting the warriors. He drank it in, the sensations, enjoying these last few hours of real freedom before he would be sealed in his enchanted obsidian plate mail and clasp the Visage of the Damned upon his head.
Then he would take up the Kaelis-Ra...and darkness would fall.

Still, there was much to do.
The enemy wouldn't arrive until midday tomorrow.
Reluctantly the Deathand turned and sought the council of those waiting for him in the Depths of the Scar.
'Ware folk of Realm. A demon come A'wing.
Cruor Vult

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Orran Cathos had joined the ranks of the Order of the Wall some ten years ago as one with great promise, but had quickly proved himself quite unremarkable. They say actions speak louder than words, leaving dreams as little more than whispers, and oh how Orran dreamed. You could call it talent gone wrong, a brilliant battlefield mind who's understanding came as daydreams and fantasies.

As he stared out upon the field, he could see the troop movements without even seeing the army. He saw the flat land become marred and cratered, transforming easy targets into dangerous threats. He saw the Deathand, both armed and not, staring out over the battlefield with unfathomable determination.

Blinking a few times, he returned to reality, seeing now only one Deathand and all the bustle of preparations around him. Quietly he returned to preparations, letting the thoughts of the soon coming war boil over in his mind once more.

(Note: I'm not really sure what I'm doing here, but it sounds like fun, let me know as to if what I'm doing is alright or not.)
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

iblablaman
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by iblablaman » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:11 pm

Brother Namal from the Order of the Blade never really wanted a sword and shield. He always were comfortable with his twin daggers, being quick enough to kill and get out before being killed. But on the verge of destruction, It wouldn't mean much.

He saw the army on the flat land marching towards them, knowing that it might be the last time he could feel the anticipation of battle, adrenaline pumping everywhere in his body. They would be here soon enough, and for that moment Namal is preparing himself.

Coating his daggers in poison like always, sitting near the Deathand, waiting...

(I couldn't possibly pass this up, since I'm in the Order, but I don't want to have a sword and shield or lance and shield, so I went dual daggers)

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:31 pm

"So it is written..." The Kan Codifier closed the tome. The final battle, fought time and time again. It appeared the Deathand had deemed him worthy of wearing the mantle of one of the Robed Ones. "'Tis more the pity. Mar'Zhal hungers for the lifeblood of his foes. May the Angels preserve us..." Brother Bush rose from his chair, glancing at the sword that lay by his armor. He casually slipped it through its scabbard, cloaking it under the scarlet Robe of the Order.

"So it is written...The bloodstained sands will tell of this war for eternity...The final battle has begun...so it shall be." He said, as he left his chambers. The time was at hand. He must contact the Deathand.

Image Image ImageImageImage

Lawrence-Ember-Mirage-Skywings-Jasmine

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:57 pm

(All is as it should be, I shall however refer to Orran Cathos as 'The Death Stalker' Use the name if you so desire)

The Deathand nodded as he passed the form of Brother Namal...all that was left of the fabled Order of Shadows.
The Master of Shadows had fallen months ago, completing his mission in dying breath no doubt. For sure if he had not, then the rest of them had. As was custom upon the death of the Master, every man in the Order of Shadows struck out against the foe that would dare to lay their master and teacher low. Every man, save one.
Tasked to guard the Deathand against assassins at all times, Brother Namal was cheated of his noble fate.
Kaome was sure in the days to come, that the man would be receive ample repatriation.
It was sunsdown already, the four moons of Vaulis rising quickly to the east and south. Kaome gave them only a fleeting glance before delving into the chaos of the Scar. Wherever he went people parted, those that were tasked did their best to move out of the way. The Deathand nodded to those that would meet his gaze, giving a few lines of praise for speedy and efficient work or suggesting improvements on things hastily done. All the while he pressed deeper into the mass heading for The Parapet, for the one place he knew would be quiet.

The guards posted fell to their knees before opening the great door.
Ahead the Deathand knew several others would be waiting for him. The Master of the Blade, The Lady of the Bow, The Stalwart Lance, and all the others that lay claim to the highest tier in their respective Orders. Yet it was not there that he headed. Taking a right, the Deathand came to a door locked with such intricate mechanisms and runes that no standing guard was needed.
After all, only the Deathand had the key.
In all the years he had lived, Kaome Sky Deathand had found many wondrous things. Terrible things. Things that were declared too powerful, or too corrupting to be seen in the light of day. It was here, in the belly of the Scar, in the Hall of Devices, that the Deathand kept those things locked away. He took a deep breath and recited the lines that were inscribed in Sluk Tongue around the door.
The language of the Dead.

"And I beheld a beast, seven stars in his right hand, for he held the key to the Pit."
True enough, the Deathand cast out his right arm and beheld seven stars. Carefully he inserted the appendage up to the elbow and twisted. There was a pause, then a grinding, a sound in the deep. Gears turned and the air grew sharp as magic long since forgotten by most was once more loosed upon the world. Slowly again, the Deathand withdrew his arm and with a force of effort opened the doors sealed for so very long. Three steps in Kaome held his breath for a moment.

Here everything had a place, a container of glass and metal, or in some cases, steel boxes and chains.
Before him on a stand of gold and crystal sat the Orb of Enth'al'anuol. The Heart of the Mountain. A thing long since forgotten by men and beast. Crafted by not only the dwarves, but the mithrindians, the elves, the goblins, and then touched by the Brek'Thar itself. It had sat there as a defense. Not only for things coming in, but a null for the things trying to get out. Kaome let life enter his lungs once more as he passed the Orb. He bowed his head and traced a small circle before it. The Orb pulsed with an inner life, a thing with life of its own in a manner of speaking. Blessed to pass, the Deathand strode into the Hall of Devices and let his mind wander over the items.

The Chamber of Relics was first.
The Amulet of Bequin, a glamor charm of such beauty that even Kaome felt a tinge of envy that it was not around his neck. He dismissed the item and played his eyes over other marvels. The Gem of Mal'Rench, said to raise the dead simply by being set in the earth. The Hand of Takoth, that revealed truth. The Scepter of Ji'nax, with the power to dominate minds. Further to the back, The Chamber of Weapons, the resting place of sacred and some not very sacred weapons. The Spear of Nuada, which can change size and never be destroyed. The twin blades of the Shattered Hand, Angel and Demon, swords that had once cut so swift and so fierce a god was laid low by them. The Axe of Na'k-Lan, that had the touch of the north winds. The Black Razor, a dagger of such intricate design enemies would willingly let it be plunged into their chest for a closer look. The Bloodfang, a weapon that changed to its owners desire but required it be fed by the hand that held it. The Gauntlet of Arcan Miymoto, derived of pure energy.
Kaome let his hands pass each by, heading even further in.

The doorway to the Chamber of the Forsaken stood before him.
The doors opened before he could lay a hand on them. Stepping inside, they shut behind him and one by one the sconces on the walls lit up to cast a feeble light on the surroundings. "Hark." The Deathand called out. The once feeble light blazed a little bolder now, throwing shadows everywhere. Kaome stood before the immense forms of the Rudius Devices and smiled a thin smile. Each was a weapon in its own right, but when combined with other relics and artifacts, held together by a daring hero, added up to an engine of destruction that few things could stand against.
Here, now, they seemed majestic...like Valkyries cast in silver, awaiting Ragnarok.

He passed them after a moment, and turned down the way to face the Chamber of the Fallen.
It was here the Deathand stood in thought.

It was here that heroes were broken.
Cruor Vult

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:37 pm

A flash of light burst forth behind the Deathand, leaving shadows in its wake. From their midst, Brother Bush stepped out, his red robes clashing terribly with the green cloak of the Order. The Kan Codifier looked around the Chamber, a small smirk on his face. From beneath his robes, the gleam of metal was clearly visible, before once again disappearing behind a veil of scarlet. The Kan Codifier moved forward.

"It is fitting, Brother, that I find you here before the battle." Brother Bush looked around the chamber. The names of legends screamed outwards, assaulting his vision with their monuments of valor. Heroes of the ancient past, the defenders of the Empire. Their stories were well known to all members of the Cult. The Kan Codifier turned back to the Deathand.

"Brother, we have much to discuss. How goes the battle preparations?"

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:27 am

A small twinge at the base of his spine warned him.
He ignored it as sure enough a puff of shadows after a brief flash of light and there was the unmistakable presence of the Kan Codifier. He kept his back turned to him, the Deathand, content to read the names scrolled upon the archway to the Chamber of the Fallen. He knew them all by heart, name and deed, but the act of being there and reading them still held meaning.

"It is fitting, Brother, that I find you here before the battle."
Kaome 'Mmmed' at the voice. Silence passed for a moment.
"Brother, we have much to discuss. How goes the battle preparations?"

The Deathand sighed, then turned to face the Great Kan.
"They go as well as can be expected, even more so having seen the walls myself."
Kaome glanced down toward the other end of the Chamber of the Forsaken and gestured.
"I was on my way to the Chamber of the Abyss to gather my wargear..." He said rather distractedly before turning back to the Kan. "...walk with me Brother Bush. Tell me how things are on your end. Is the Order of the Robe prepared?"
Cruor Vult

VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:29 pm

Sargun was supposed to retire. He had served the Order of the Lance for long enough. But just as he was ready to enjoy his golden years, the other branches of the Order of Secrets had the complete rudeness to be destroyed. The Scar was the only one left, and Lord knew the war nuts at the Scar wouldn't let an old man like him get some decent rest.

But this time...they were actually right when they told them that this was a necessary battle, as painful as it was to admit.

His armor was red, matching his hair, though the latter had began to be taken over by streaks of gray. He had gone long enough without wearing it that it felt unnatural, but not so long it was uncomfortable.

Sargun opened the door to the Order of the Lance's Bestiary. Another warrior was waiting there - a boy of about 26, with light armor and a large, devastating lance in his hands. He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw Sargun. "Lord be praised - you're really here. Please, sir, I can't do this. Will you -"

"Yes." Sargun knew every second was precious. "I hereby rescind my previous transfer of power to you, Quel. I again claim the title of Chief of the Order of the Lance. Surrender the symbol of office."

Quel reverentially gave Sargun the weapon. "I recognize the change in power, Chief Sargun. Is there anything else I can do for?"

"Get Brother Bush to the summoning chamber as fast as you can. Bring along any other mages you can find." A wry smile crossed his face. "My retirement was to be nothing more than a chance to rest, while he expected to live in The Eternal Forest and never again be pressed into man's service. If you think I'm pissed..."

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:00 pm

"Brother, all goes as planned. The Order of the Robe stands ready, their fiends willing to die for them. The Archivist has been most accommodating to our needs, and has opened the Halls of Power to me." The Kan Codifier reported as the two walked through the Chamber. "As we speak, the Books of the Serpent lay open in my chambers...I have taken precautions to guarantee their security." He added. Silence filled the room for a brief moment.

Brother Bush stopped in front of the entrance to the Chamber of the Abyss. Two Guardians stood by, Heroes of Time, bound in stone until those unworthy dared cross their path. Brother Bush stared into the eyes of one of the statues. "May it not yet be time for you to awaken...grandfather." Bush broke his gaze and moved to meet the Deathand under the Arch of the Abyss.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:43 pm

Kaome the Deathand took the report in stride.
He paced himself to match the Kans stride, trying not to seem eager about getting on with The Binding.
"Ah...the books of the Serpent..." He said at length. "...I haven't read those since my Ascension."

Silence filled the room for a brief moment.
Kaome looked at the two guardians and took a calming breath. He didn't catch what Brother Bush had said, but stepped forward three steps into their gaze. The air rippled, a brief flicker and then a small thunderclap. An echoing voice boomed out from the beyond.

"NONE MAY PASS."
"I am Kaome Sky Deathand..." he began.
"...Right Hand of the Serpent, Master of the Order! None in these halls may defy me! Open this gate! I command the ancients that watch over this portal to allow me to pass!" then, as an after-thought. "...as well as those that walk with me. Open this gate! By the name of the Serpent you will obey!"
A bone-rattling crack and the great doors to the Chamber of the Abyss opened. Without pause, Kaome stepped into the embracing gloom beyond the arch. Slowly, as if timid, dull blue flames let a slip of light into the all pervasive black. To kaome it did not matter, he could see just as well, light or no. His eyes adjusted quickly to the low light, seeking out the lone suit of plate mail on the far wall.

"And lo, the Deathand did wage war against the sons of man, wrapping himself in the armor of contempt."
The lights were allowed to play out a little more light and the other implements of the Deathands wrath were made visible.
The Kaelis-Ra, a sword forged not in the Heaven, but in the cold dark in the depths of the earth. Crafted in the heat of the Burning Hells and cooled in the tears of fallen angels, the weapon was an abomination, ancient, powerful, and alive.
The Visage of the Damned, a helm so loathsome that those who made it were forced to look away while doing so.

The Deathand stood in the center of the small chamber and lost himself to memories.
Cruor Vult

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:37 pm

Brother Bush followed in silence after the Deathand. The Guardians stirred not an inch. Darkness engulfed him, but it was not the darkness of shadows that weighed him down. It was the Darkness of the Abyss. No man but the Deathand could walk through these doors without permission. A shiver went down Brother Bush's spine. There was no way in for him but the door. Not even shadows dared to dwell in this darkness. There were no paths for a shadow walker in the cold void of the Abyss.

A light pierced the solid darkness. The Great Kan silently thanked the Serpent for his gift of sight. Without it, the Kan Codifier would be blind in this chamber. In the faint light, Brother Bush watched the Deathand raise his sword. Kaelis-Ra, a blade that even the Angel of War feared to wield. Without thinking, he grabbed his own blade. Mar'Zhal, while not as ancient or...well, words could barely describe Kaelis-Ra...was not some country blacksmith's sword. Granted to him by the Angel of Wrath, it was his most treasured possession. The Blade of Shadows, forged under the gaze of the Serpent himself.

With all his will, the Kan Codifier forced himself to watch as the Deathand donned the Visage of the Damned. The cursed armor, those who were it were subject to its evil desire. All but the Deathand, that is. The Abyss was silent. It continued for what seemed like an eternity to Brother Bush until he was finally able to bring himself to speak. The Darkness seemed to swallow his words.

"Brother, there is still much to be done. I have not heard yet from the Warsinger of the Order of the Rose, but from the Order of the Lance it has been reported that Sargun is once again their chief. How goes the Orders of the Wall, Gears, and Blade? What news from the High Reclaimer? "

VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Quel barely managed to conceal his yell of terror upon seeing the Deathand. Covering his eyes with his hands, he stammered "B-B-Brother Bush...so sorry to interrupt, but Chief Sargun needs you in the Summoning Chambers of the Order of the Lance right away." His voice grew softer, driven by the only thing he feared more than the Deathand. "He wants you to bring Elifor back to our world."

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:00 pm

In the confines of the chamber, the Deathand readied himself for war.
Garbing himself in the armor of Contempt, sliding the Kaelis-Ra into the sheath accompanying the blade, and attaching the Visage of the Damned to his belt, the Deathand turned to the last piece of his wargear and bowed his head. The Mantle of the Abyss was a cloak gifted to him by the mother of the night herself. In two deft motions he attached the tattered garb to his plate mail like a cape and watched as it spread across the room, snuffing the lights as it went. With but a thought, the Deathand recalled its powers and light was allowed to live once more.

He could feel another approach.
"...let him pass..." Kaome whispered into the darkness.

"Brother, there is still much to be done. I have not heard yet from the Warsinger of the Order of the Rose, but from the Order of the Lance it has been reported that Sargun is once again their chief. How goes the Orders of the Wall, Gears, and Blade? What news from the High Reclaimer? "

Kaome Sky Deathand turned and faced the Kan Codifier.
"I have not heard from Sister Red...I assume she is preparing in her chambers as is her right." The Deathand paused, making sure all was as it should have been before walking toward the door. "The Order of the Wall stands ready, now that I have garbed myself for war. Of the Blade I have not heard from The High Reclaimer, of the Gears, I am well assured that the defenses and counter-siege equipment is in order." The Deathand turned as another stood before the gateway to the chamber.

It was Brother Quel.
Cruor Vult

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:22 pm

"B-B-Brother Bush...so sorry to interrupt, but Chief Sargun needs you in the Summoning Chambers of the Order of the Lance right away. He wants you to bring Elifor back to our world."

The Kan Codifier turns to face the quivering Brother. His face shows no emotions. "And for this, is your Chief willing to pay the price? It is no simple matter, summoning Elifor. Blood must be spilled, and those who witness it will never be sane again. Tell me, Brother, are you willing to pay the price? Are you willing to die for this...this...demon to walk the earth once again?" No one spoke...or was the Abyss swallowing the words before they reached his ears?

The Great Kan turned to the Deathand. "What do you say, Brother? Should I summon this...beast from where he is chained? Shall I free him from his binds? Who shall pay the price?"

Return to “Collected Works”