A Cajillion Thousand KM/H Things

Here aspiring creators can lay down some basic ideas of what they are going to do before submitting a finalized form for the viewing public. A good place to get some help from your fellows.
Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

A Cajillion Thousand KM/H Things

Post by Hydrolisk » Mon May 26, 2008 11:31 pm

Please comment on any of the linked works. Every bit is a part of a learning byte. /programmer humour

I've wrote all of these before. The Maicein Temple is a little G-rated and rushed because it was a school thing, so you know...
However, I'm probably going to use this thread to post ALL my literary things.
The few below are hosted on Valor & Zeal forums, and are slightly more recent. Many thanks for the presence of this entire forum, and to the people who administrate it and Dusk for being in the first place. Recent to older.

Section begun: Nov. 6, 2008. A slightly more organized list of more recent works NOT on the forum. More recent to older.

Super Secret Stupendously Cynical Myth of Sly-Seductive Snakes, Monkeys, and the SCSS - Myth (School work.)
Tiers of Thought - Essay/Myth (Was originally intended to be handed in for Myth assignment (was superseded by above). This is underdeveloped due to writing/assignment limitations.)
Ravens, Choirs, and Metal - RP postings. (For a roleplaying thread, to set backdrop. Since its creation, its purpose for roleplaying has been abandoned. Is now just a sandbox for varying stories I have in my head.)
The Eunoia Wagon - Short Story (School short story assignment. Abridged to meet 4-page double-spaced requirement.)
Peace is Deviation - Backstory (Backstory/plot of a StarCraft mod.)
Below is a list of previously linked ONGOING STORIES. This little section is like an RSS feed (almost)!

-
Only websites hosting my above works and the websites listed here have things that I have written and posted there.

thewritingblock.com
staredit.net
http://newhydrolisk.googlepages.com/
http://hydrolisk.110mb.com/
modcrafters.com
roleplayerguild.com
-

Enjoy!
Last edited by Hydrolisk on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Re: A Cajillion Thousand KM/H Things

Post by Hydrolisk » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:45 pm

*Bump.*

It's been a week already? No posts? :o

BTW: I added "Art of War: A StarCraft Essay" (or something like that).

VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:39 pm

I could swear I already said this somewhere else...but re: art of war:

David Sirlin wins. :p

He's pretty much a genius when it comes to game balance.

vesuvan
Revenent of the Replies

Post by vesuvan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:52 pm

Sirlin got it right when he told me and a few others that very many aspects of the art of war are simply lost in other mediums. When Sun Tzu wrote to use fire in war, he wasn't talking about some metaphor, he was literally suggesting the use of fire to sandbag the enemy. The psychological aspects of his work are the most relevant to any competition today, but using the art of war for anything other than the base for an abstract paradigm seems like a namedrop undeserving of respect.

What sirlin really drew from the art of war was the concept of "yomi", or getting inside another person's head. He succeeded in making the allusion worthwhile, but this is rare.
͎̟͕͎̯̺͎̟͕͎̯̺ĩ̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠
̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:47 pm

Updated.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:17 am

My name is vesuvan... Damn didn't see that one coming.

Great read by the way. I must say I like the way your wrote Absolution though it is quite different from my emotionless-mass-killer vision of it. Send me a PM or something when you continue your story.
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:05 pm

Updated.

Will be posting more works soon.

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:47 pm

In case nobody has noticed, The Darkness Before Dawn has been updated twice.

-

I'm getting desperate for a comment. Feed me please?

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:51 pm

give me two days to finish work and I will give you some feedback.

Image Image ImageImageImage

Lawrence-Ember-Mirage-Skywings-Jasmine

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:04 am

Updated with: Frivolous.

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:38 am

Updated with: The Eunoia Wagon.

"The Eunoia Wagon" is a short story assignment for my English course. It's extra short to meet certain requirements. Truly, it is most often harder to write less and hit key points you want to touch. Most likely, there will be an unabridged version for personal enjoyment (instead of graded paper).

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:45 am

Updated with Tainted's Siege. Some I plan to continue adding to. Based off of a handful of ideas centered around a spiritual-religous war.

Thread was reorganized.

Added an Ongoing Stories section.

-

Please give me feedback. *Cry!*

VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:17 am

That is just Warhammer in a different hat and you know it.

You've got decent mechanics, but (at least at quick glance) all your writing seems to be you trying to be dark and mature and not. Change up your subject matter or something and you'll benefit nicely.
[Edit: Lest I sound too much like an asshole...this is a problem literally half of teen authors have. As a teenager myself, I see it a lot, and can diagnose it from fifty paces. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just trying to get you to STOP. ;)]

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:07 am

Sincerely, I don't really know anything about Warhammer. I wouldn't be surprised if that comment was the truth though (comparing to WH40K and Dawn of War in my case)!

Hmm. I can see your point and lack of assholery (in case you need confirmation). I don't think I try to be dark and mature though, although I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't (in which your feedback says it's not). Not consciously at least. What am I doing wrong though (or right) that makes it not that?

On second thought, it's mostly the schoolwork that I have posted that I just KNOW is trying to be dark and mature and isn't, simply because it was for school.

Thanks for your feedback! Quite useful, really. But do I have to switch? *Whine and complain.* I like to write fantasy-type sci-fi-type things.

No, really, thanks for your feedback. It's awesome and you are too.

VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:15 am

It's certainly something that can be used, the problem is, you're using too much. Try writing a bit without it - good works will have SOME darkness, but it's better to work with none and add on.

Take one of the dark fantasy worlds in your head and find a less dramatic side. Someone needs to shine a paladins armor - what does he think of the war and posturing? Someone needs to muck out the dragon's stall - does he find the same magic and wonder an observer would? Someone needs to tell the public about the war - do they tell the truth?

There's plenty of good stories about mostly good people that work in any world.

Return to “The Construct”