Passive cooldown

This is where all discussion of WC3 mapmaking should be held. This forum exists particularly for mapmaking needs. If you have a question on how something works or have need for some code review, this is the place to put it.
Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Passive cooldown

Post by Deschain » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:52 am

How do you make passives with a cooldown (like Ressurection or Tristan's Path of Shadows) and how would one trigger them to cooldown and detect if they had cooled down?
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Re: Passive cooldown

Post by assassingao » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:12 am

Resurrection can have it's cooldown set in the object editor...

Tristan's path of shadows...in the other hand. I think that Dusk uses a passive skill as a passive dummy ability, then when someone ordered something, the dummy ability is removed and it's replaced with the active dummy skill as ability.

Then the active dummy skill is used, thus the cooldown starts, along with a timer.

When the timer ends, the active dummy skill is removed, and the passive dummy skill is added once again.

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:00 pm

Dusk also said something about how cooldown was hard to find exactly, so it might recharge earlier or later than what you would expect normally.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:44 pm

Cooldown in WC3 is a biscuit. You think 8 seconds would mean 8 seconds, but it doesn't for whatever reason. And yes, it uses a cycle of three abilities to make PoS work. It's really tricky and I'm not particularly motivated to explain the whole thing right now, but settle in knowing that it is done as follows:
  • Learn dummy ability, add dummy passive
  • Trigger on whatever event, turn off intercept trigger, remove dummy passive, add dummy cooldown ability
  • Track cooldown
  • When cooldown ends, remove dummy cooldown ability, add dummy passive,turn back on intercept trigger
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Mundaine
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Mundaine » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:09 pm

that's funny, I've always used timers to track the cooldown on effects and it's never bugged out. I usually set it to about 0.01 to 0.1 less than the actual cooldown to make sure you can't recast the dummy cooldown effect. BTW what ability do you use for the dummy cooldown. All of the one's I tried stop the unit's current actions if you order them to cast the dummy effect. The only thing that worked for me was a dummy spell shield that gets triggered by a dummy casting unit.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:57 am

It was being very unreliable in my testing, but it may have been a flawed test. Either way, I found a better method so whatever. Also, all dummy spells cause the unit to forget its orders, there is no way around that.

Mundaine
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Mundaine » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:25 am

I guess I'll have to stay with using a dummy spell shield, since it activates passively...

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:52 am

I use berserk and just restore the unit's order, but you can do what you want.

Mundaine
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Mundaine » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:58 pm

Thing is I don't know how to store the order they had so it's the only good way I have for now :/.

Greenspawn
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Greenspawn » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:28 pm

Use Fan of Knives as a base. It restores the unit order after activation.
Math is # |e^iπ|
"I can't imagine getting hit by a giant rock and not being maimed or crippled or ruined" -Dusk

Logue: Please replace the toilet paper when you use it all. For some reason my 5 year old son believes if it's not there he does not have to wipe.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:25 am

Not when ordered via triggers -- You'll always lose orders that way. The obvious solution is to just reissue the order, though, I don't see the trouble in the first place.

Greenspawn
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Greenspawn » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:26 pm

Hot damn. Blizzard doesn't think far ahead, does it?
Math is # |e^iπ|
"I can't imagine getting hit by a giant rock and not being maimed or crippled or ruined" -Dusk

Logue: Please replace the toilet paper when you use it all. For some reason my 5 year old son believes if it's not there he does not have to wipe.

Here-b-Trollz
Noobite Warrior

Post by Here-b-Trollz » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:04 am

Rising_Dusk wrote:Not when ordered via triggers -- You'll always lose orders that way. The obvious solution is to just reissue the order, though, I don't see the trouble in the first place.
UI-Key + berserk. It's not a TERRIBLE thing if the passive only works while selected.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:26 am

That's debatable, but I guess you could do it that way if it fit your fancy.

Return to “Custom Map Creation”