Item and Tweaks Suggestion Discussion... Thing

All suggestions pertaining to the map should go here. There is not really any room for hero suggestions in OD since it's based on a tight-knit hero encapsulation, but if you have ideas for items, modes, options, UI things, etc. you can post them in this forum.
Ninja_Kero
Noobite Warrior

Item and Tweaks Suggestion Discussion... Thing

Post by Ninja_Kero » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:33 pm

Alright, so, I suppose we should get the ball rolling here on our ideas, perhaps we'll inspire a Eureka moment in Dusk with some of our thoughts. I'm hesitant to post something here, but as there are only 2 topics in this section, which are kinda limited, I think a more open thinking section should be made ^^. I'll start with some tweaks or ideas I like.

1. Advice seems to do little, I believe it should at least give tiny bits of exp, for say, those wanting a level and are just shy of it before the next fight. Advice IS a form of experience, am i right?

2. On the hero selection screen, there should be something showing how many of each specific guy was picked, to discourage say, 5 people getting necromancer when they weren't paying attention.

3. If someone tries to maphack, a Rising_Dusk unit appears next to the offender and pimp slaps them into their screen, and picks them up and eats them before booting them.

4. Not sure about this, but Necromancers Bone Wall might need a slight buff, perhaps a weak melee damage return.

5. Upgrading weapon could add a class specific normal attack buff, such as necromancer having a small chance to instantly kill non boss units. If it's not too much work, maybe the attack animation changes into a flying skull.

6. A one use item that reduces the time taken to revive (your spirit starts with 50 mana for example), and is removed on death

7. Pie, it heals 10 health

8. Maybe not different heroes, but having different versions of each hero to choose from would be nice (Elven sorceress/sorceror as well as human for example)

9. *Crosses fingers* A way to restart map if you lose, so you can try again with players who understand what they're doing now

10. Mara's Kaleiodoscope is lost when you die in the stomach, there should be a way to spawn it where hydra dies if it was in stomach. Not that I know of any use for it yet anyway.

11. I don't think it does, but killing one of the Hydras tongues should do some damage to it, and eating you should heal it some =d. Delicious!

Post anything more you think Dusk should hear about, and discuss any ideas that catch your attention. Personally I think numbers 3 and 7 must be implemented immediately for the sake of humanity.
~"Sectum Sempra!" "What...are you doing?" "I'm cutting paper with magic!" "Put the pencil away"
"My wand will never leave this hand!" "If you don't leave my room I'm getting the sharpener"
"You've won this time, but I will be back!"

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Re: Item and Tweaks Suggestion Discussion... Thing

Post by TheDeathstalker » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:50 pm

1) I disagree... you can't just *give* xp for metagame things.

2) Wouldn't hurt, but you could just pay attention...

3) ... I... I don't even see what in God's name a maphack would do for you in a map like this, but even so, it seems unnecessary, if you want to cheat and not have fun, then I don't think it's going to upset anyone...

4) Dude, Bone walls are amongst the most amazing things in the game, you just have to know what you're doing.

5) I kinda thought buffing the weapon was enough of a reward in and of itself. I'd rather it be worth it all the time than it weakened so that you could add a secondary effect onto it.

6) Meh, if you want, but I never found death that painful

7) ... What? I mean, if you were trying to be inventive at least put a bad pun in like "Pi, it heals 3.14159 health".

8) Ok, in all seriousness, if you want to skin all of those identical heroes, go ahead, but if I understand things right, modelers and skinners are rare enough without tasking them with redundant tasks.

9) Good idea, I'm sure a RM system will be in by the time this thing is done.

10) No idea.

By the way, something to keep in mind NinjaKero, this map is in alpha, so there is still a lot left that's just on the to do list, so all in due time. I'd wait until it's at beta before expecting to be able to say anything too meaningful...
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Ninja_Kero wrote:Alright, so, I suppose we should get the ball rolling here on our ideas, perhaps we'll inspire a Eureka moment in Dusk with some of our thoughts. I'm hesitant to post something here, but as there are only 2 topics in this section, which are kinda limited, I think a more open thinking section should be made ^^. I'll start with some tweaks or ideas I like.

1. Advice seems to do little, I believe it should at least give tiny bits of exp, for say, those wanting a level and are just shy of it before the next fight. Advice IS a form of experience, am i right?

Meh. Exp is fine as is, probably could use LESS of it if anything right now.

2. On the hero selection screen, there should be something showing how many of each specific guy was picked, to discourage say, 5 people getting necromancer when they weren't paying attention.

There is a board on the upper right that tells you who picks what.

3. If someone tries to maphack, a Rising_Dusk unit appears next to the offender and pimp slaps them into their screen, and picks them up and eats them before booting them.

This would be more useful in AotZ and DoE. No real purpose to MH in this game to begin with.

4. Not sure about this, but Necromancers Bone Wall might need a slight buff, perhaps a weak melee damage return.

It already blocks damage upon casting, what else could you want?

5. Upgrading weapon could add a class specific normal attack buff, such as necromancer having a small chance to instantly kill non boss units. If it's not too much work, maybe the attack animation changes into a flying skull.

Upgrading weapons are good as is. (I Don't think Dusk is willing to change them)

6. A one use item that reduces the time taken to revive (your spirit starts with 50 mana for example), and is removed on death

Removes a lot of emphasis on the use of a paladin's ultimate.

7. Pie, it heals 10 health

Pie in an ancient tomb. Right....

8. Maybe not different heroes, but having different versions of each hero to choose from would be nice (Elven sorceress/sorceror as well as human for example)

Unnecessary use of space.

9. *Crosses fingers* A way to restart map if you lose, so you can try again with players who understand what they're doing now

Just remake? You can't restore leavers either.

10. Mara's Kaleiodoscope is lost when you die in the stomach, there should be a way to spawn it where hydra dies if it was in stomach. Not that I know of any use for it yet anyway.

That's a good point. But Mara's kaleidoscope doesn't serve any purpose right now.

11. I don't think it does, but killing one of the Hydras tongues should do some damage to it, and eating you should heal it some =d. Delicious!

Eating something and not digesting shouldn't necessarily heal. Plus, the boss has a chain heal.

Post anything more you think Dusk should hear about, and discuss any ideas that catch your attention. Personally I think numbers 3 and 7 must be implemented immediately for the sake of humanity.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Ninja_Kero
Noobite Warrior

Post by Ninja_Kero » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:43 pm

Well first of all a maphacker can see the full invis monsters and aoe them easily, I also just really really dislike maphackers. I was kidding of course, but only a little. If someone gets tired of normal work and the maps almost complete maybe this might be put in as an easter egg. Second of all, I thought you wouldn't need to skin new heroes, just use ones existing in game already, and give them the abilities right? I could have been more clever about pie, but then i actually got hungry and got something to eat, the pi = 3.14159265 hp thing wasn't bad though.

Oh right! Would it be very difficult to institute a -setname command? I wonder how Dusk would feel about that ^^.

Really though, we need more map workers >.< The pickle of impatience sits upon my shoulders and weighs heavily.
~"Sectum Sempra!" "What...are you doing?" "I'm cutting paper with magic!" "Put the pencil away"
"My wand will never leave this hand!" "If you don't leave my room I'm getting the sharpener"

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:13 pm

Advanced Options -> Vision: Always visible

Tada, insta-reveal.

(Not true sight, though.)

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:46 pm

Someone with logic can 'see' all the ivisible monsters too...
There are some easter eggs already in the game too! (I'm one of them, yay!)
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:15 pm

SetaSoujirou wrote:Someone with logic can 'see' all the ivisible monsters too...
There are some easter eggs already in the game too! (I'm one of them, yay!)
Cool, hope we all get something :]

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:17 am

Ninja_Kero wrote:Oh right! Would it be very difficult to institute a -setname command? I wonder how Dusk would feel about that ^^.
-setname Motherf-- Oh right, this is BNet. Sorry, no can do.
Ninja_Kero wrote:Really though, we need more map workers >.<
What is this supposed to mean?
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:34 am

*kekeke edited kekeke*

Then I will no longer interfere.
Last edited by assassingao on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:01 am

Why are you answering for him? I'd prefer he speak for himself.

Ninja_Kero
Noobite Warrior

Post by Ninja_Kero » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:14 pm

Hmm? I know setname could be abused by the more er.... special members of bnet, but it would feel epic and nice to be a Necromancer named Ar'zel Narrkana smiting my enemies with death novas, or something somewhat silly like a Paladin named Prince Valiant. Another alternative could theoritically being assigned names from a random list.

I meant nothing by needing more mapmakers other than that I'm itchy for the next alpha/beta, and more skin and modelers would mean it comes a day sooner ^^

Also, how well hidden are these easter eggs? Would I come across them not looking for them?

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:24 pm

Easter eggs are in DoE and in OD. You just gotta look harder.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:21 am

I guess it really depends what you consider an easter egg. There's some funny stuff in all of my maps that I do randomly, a lot of it a normal player would never see by normal means. There's definitely some stuff in OD that's just there to make me laugh when I'm in the world editor. :p
Ninja_Kero wrote:Hmm? I know setname could be abused by the more er.... special members of bnet, but it would feel epic and nice to be a Necromancer named Ar'zel Narrkana smiting my enemies with death novas, or something somewhat silly like a Paladin named Prince Valiant. Another alternative could theoritically being assigned names from a random list.
Yeah, that's nice and all, but you can't actually change the hero's name, only the player's name. That limitation really takes the oomph out of the positives of such a setname function.

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:37 am

Would a damage per second meter and healing per second meter be possible after each fight? While adding no major aspect to the gameplay itself, it does add more competition between players.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:57 am

§etallite, GO DIE IN A FIRE! xD

That would just place the hunter on top when there aren't really mobs to fight though.
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Return to “Suggestions”