Smite Replacement

All suggestions pertaining to the map should go here. There is not really any room for hero suggestions in OD since it's based on a tight-knit hero encapsulation, but if you have ideas for items, modes, options, UI things, etc. you can post them in this forum.
pandamanar
Revenent of the Replies

Re: Smite Replacement

Post by pandamanar » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:23 pm

perhaps a three auras in one aura where the pally switches between them by pressing the button. Each individual wouldn't stack with themselves but they would stack with the other two.
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4c242dfce214c
Play League of Legends, get to level 10 and I get buffs.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:04 pm

Then two pallies that want to play the same way cannot. It just can't work with auras.

My current idea for its replacement is as follows:
<RawrName>
  • Channeled, No Target.
    Nearby allies take X% less damage based on endurance.
    Channels for 8 seconds.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:25 pm

They take less damage while channeling, at the end of channeling for a duration, or both?

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:27 pm

Use your imagination. (You could also read)

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:52 am

Generic Name: Circle Against Evil
Description: The Paladin sacrifices movement to protect his allies.

Instant Cast
XXX AOE around Paladin
Paladin absorbs XX% of damage his allies receives.
Paladin becomes rooted for X-1 seconds.
Lasts X seconds.
Heals 5% of damage dealt to Paladin during the spell after X+1 seconds.

Effects: <Insert pretty particle graphics> and outline of a cross with a circle around it centering on the Pally the size of the aoe.

Paladin becomes "rooted" and cannot move. The Paladin can still attack and cast other spells, and absorbs a portion of the damage received by his allies. A second before the duration is over, the Paladin begins moving again and regains 5% of the hp lost during the spell 2 seconds after the root ends.

There, added my own twist to it.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:06 am

Dusk said there is no validation for taking damage for your allies.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:30 am

What if there was some? Say make it you take X% of the damage, and the other (100-X)% goes to a "charge" on your weapon, and deals the accumulated damage on your next attack? Say your allies over the duration take 200 damage, of which your skill blocks... 50 of? You take maybe... 25 of that, and you deal a bonus 25 on your next hit.

Thinking about it, you're right, it could just be a direct % damage block --> 1 hit damage buff.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:53 pm

Way too complicated, man. Charging a weapon with damage reduced to do some other arbitrary effect at some undetermined later point is just no. Taking damage for your allies is something that can work in an AoS, but not in OD.

My idea is still the one I like the most. The thing is that I'm considering how it should stack between multiple pallies. Take 20% as the magick number.
  • 20% off, then 20% of that off, resulting in 64% total damage taken.
  • 20% plus 20% off, resulting in 60% total damage taken.
The difference between the two would be more obvious with more pallies, but you get the point. I am leaning towards #2, since it more strongly rewards multiple pallies with the same build. I could see a multi-pally team being viable by back-to-back casting of it. It would also be wicked fun to use with teammates that way.

Ninja_Kero
Noobite Warrior

Post by Ninja_Kero » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:03 pm

As I see it, Paladins lack an offensive skill of any sort. I like the idea of something channeling or held in place. How about either he channels a powerful light wave that drains health from all nearby enemies and heals him and perhaps his mana for the amount done at channels end, or a light focus where the health is drawn into the aoe center of the aoe and distributed to allies. Another possiblity is he summons a light spirit that damages surrounding enemies every time it is healed and can slowly self heal. Whew. I can see all of these as having rather dramatic and pretty effects, especially roiling light energy that damages enemies then coalescing into a healing burst of light.

Edit: Erm, Smite is an offensive skill I suppose, but as this is about replacing the one offensive skill, and the skill that does exist isn't really in keeping with Paladin theme, I say he has none.
~"Sectum Sempra!" "What...are you doing?" "I'm cutting paper with magic!" "Put the pencil away"
"My wand will never leave this hand!" "If you don't leave my room I'm getting the sharpener"
"You've won this time, but I will be back!"

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:22 pm

I'm not a huge fan of an offensive skill on the paladin. The roles are very clearly defined, and the role of the paladin is as a healer/supporter, not an offensive alternative. Regardless, though, even if I gave him an awesome offensive skill, he'd still be only a halfass offensive character compared to either caster or the hunter. It'd be clashing for him.

I also really like the mix of channeling skills it'd have with another channeled protection. I almost think I'd try a build with back to back channeling. They'd cover each other's cooldowns and it'd be pretty epic fun.

Ninja_Kero
Noobite Warrior

Post by Ninja_Kero » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:38 pm

Well it sounds like it's decided in your mind eh? Now all that's needed is some actual numbers, aoe, and how it will look.

Im thinking 500-700 aoe of caster, 15 seconds channeling, 30 second cd, 100 manacost, %20 starter reduction + %ENDx, +(4% + xy) per level?

I hope that looks right. The channel effect shouldn't be too showy or you'd not be able to see a thing since stacking is possible and almost encouraged. I also think it should be caster centered and not a targetable aoe. I hope I'm not being too over the line in suggesting these numbers or ideas =s.
~"Sectum Sempra!" "What...are you doing?" "I'm cutting paper with magic!" "Put the pencil away"
"My wand will never leave this hand!" "If you don't leave my room I'm getting the sharpener"
"You've won this time, but I will be back!"

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:38 pm

It, of course, would be caster-centered. I was really looking for members' thoughts on the method of stacking. Everything else I can figure out. :p

snakehawk37
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by snakehawk37 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:20 pm

The problem with method #1 of course is that each successive paly becomes significantly less useful (if channeling this spell).

The problem with method #2 is that on paper, there seems to be too much damage reduced when multiple palies are channeling. However, it would be difficult to get everyone in a small AoE amidst the chaos in-game. In addition, each channeling paly you get means one less offensive hero. Therefore, I think this method is balanced simply because of everything you have to sacrifice in order for the spell to become imbalanced.

I hope this makes sense, but nonetheless I vote for option #2.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:06 pm

snakehawk37 wrote:The problem with method #1 of course is that each successive paly becomes significantly less useful (if channeling this spell).

The problem with method #2 is that on paper, there seems to be too much damage reduced when multiple palies are channeling. However, it would be difficult to get everyone in a small AoE amidst the chaos in-game. In addition, each channeling paly you get means one less offensive hero. Therefore, I think this method is balanced simply because of everything you have to sacrifice in order for the spell to become imbalanced.

I hope this makes sense, but nonetheless I vote for option #2.
Snake sums up the highs and lows that I'd highlight. So I'd say #2 as well.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:10 am

I was thinking the same thing myself, just felt like asking to see if I'd missed anything.

Return to “Suggestions”