Tomb of Jarahcon

All assorted discussion regarding Obsidian Depths, options, heroes, and everything should go in here. If you can't think of a place to post something and it's relevant to OD, I recommend it be put here.
Konnar
Noobite Warrior

Tomb of Jarahcon

Post by Konnar » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Just out of curiosity, does OD have anything to do with ToJ ? Because they are very much the same in the uber pwn attributes/abilities and equipment systems.

Vinnam
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Re: Tomb of Jarahcon

Post by Vinnam » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:44 pm

It has to do with ToJ in that both are dungeon-crawler esque maps and both use similar systems, though imo Dusk's OD blew ToJ out of the water. I don't think Dusk nor the creator of ToJ had anything to do with each other's maps other than the resemblance I noted above.
Trainer: Brendan Creed
ImageImageImage
Lineup: Noir & Batista

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:08 pm

ToJ gave Dusk inspiration to make OD.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:22 pm

If you want to get technical, it's what I hated about ToJ but liked about the genre that inspired me to make OD. Also, neither ToJ nor OD have "equipment systems" and having an "attribute system" is hardly new in either map's case. Otherwise, I've never met the guy that made it and haven't played it in at least a year.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

andriejj
Keeper of the Keys

Post by andriejj » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:14 am

Well, ToJ is abandoned at the moment. Too bad, because in the current form it gets terribly boring after level 3.

Loki
Gypsy

Post by Loki » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:00 am

The problem with ToJ was the fact that it was REPETITIVE. It had a large number of waves that you had to hold out in a choke point. Then the imba(Not the first couple) bosses comes in and tries to rape you. This was the same for all the levels. That was the problem I saw whenever I played ToJ. Sure it was fun. But it gets BORING after the first three levels.
ImageImageImageImage

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:35 am

Of course, what you're saying is that the gameplay is the problem, and that it could be fixed by a more dynamic environment. Ta-daa, enter OD. The principle of a dungeon crawler is great fun, it's the only RPGesque style map that can really work on a fundamental level in WC3 due to the franticness, the metagame, and the evolution of it. There are some games you nab 6 blocking and shit, you are a TANK regardless of your class. Or maybe another game you manage to find 6 edge on a Hunter, you are now a striker from hell with backstab, and so forth.

That's part of development, you take what already works and make it work better. Any other manner of design is backwards.

Anyways, yeah, ToJ is terribly boring.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:08 pm

Not only is it boring, but, there were numerous bugs with certain spells and there was a bug where the game would just stop working when you got past level nine(I think that's what level it was).

KrewL RaiN
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by KrewL RaiN » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:00 am

The one Paladin hax item would crash the game too.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Loki
Gypsy

Post by Loki » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:15 pm

I remember that item.
"OMG EPIC ITEM. /wha---" *FATAL ERROR*
Person on the chair: :cry:
ImageImageImageImage

Xenoche
Noobite Warrior

Post by Xenoche » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:50 pm

Hi guys, I'm the lazy slob who couldn't finish Tomb of Jarahcon.

That map was the only map that I made that I could host on b.net and nine times out of ten find players that had played it before.
Despite this, life goes on and I neither had the time or the patience to continue development.

I am glad that dusk has taken the time to make a map of the same genre that echoes that which I simply could not accomplish on my own, this is testament to his much greater prowess and dedication in comparison to myself.

Congrats.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:26 am

Hey, you're the mapmaker of ToJ? That's crazy. There are lots of ways you could turn that map seriously around, and I'd be more than happy to talk design with you sometime if you'd be interested. Don't bash yourself for never getting around to finishing it, I take my merry time working my maps into completion all the same. You did good with the map, it just suffers from being terribly repetitive and therefore gets boring quickly. Nothing's perfect, but that's what communities are for. :p

Thanks for the vouch of confidence, though. I appreciate it. :)

Xenoche
Noobite Warrior

Post by Xenoche » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:23 am

Cheers for the kind words, and don't get me wrong I've thought about restarting development many times but between my job, kids and anything else that pops up to consume my free time, getting into the mental space to do it is an uphill battle.

However, I've been working on another map the last couple of weeks for the first time in ages (hadn't even looked at the editor for 3-4 months) and I'm taking my time, I find when I rush maps and work on them at every given opportunity I get tired of them, so, I'm taking it easy (might be ready for testing in a couple of weeks or months :P ).

If you don't mind I may require some help with testing, though as I said, that will most properly be a while away.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:03 am

You had a very solid map going on your first couple play-throughs. Then it slowly got repetitive and easy. (Not to mention that level with the twin towers in the fiery-terrain that were invulnerable. Gg.)
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Loki
Gypsy

Post by Loki » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:18 pm

If you require beta testers. You can ask the core VZ members, just come by at Clan VZ.
I want to know how you came to our forums o.o
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Updates and Discussion”