Tomb of Jarahcon

All assorted discussion regarding Obsidian Depths, options, heroes, and everything should go in here. If you can't think of a place to post something and it's relevant to OD, I recommend it be put here.
VZManticoran
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Re: Tomb of Jarahcon

Post by VZManticoran » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:28 pm

Possibly he does searches on Tomb of Jarahcon every once in a while, and we popped up. I know if I was a mapmaker I'd keep track of where my map was being mentioned.
Image Image Image Image Image
--------Eli-------------Ben------------Alex----------Isabelle---------David----

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:30 am

I've actually never done that. Wonder what the searches would pop up, although checking would require that I care. :)
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Xenoche
Noobite Warrior

Post by Xenoche » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:14 pm

I saw your map hosted on wc3campains (the first time i'd been to wc3campains in months) and noticed that the multi-board was identical to the one I implemented in ToJ (except for the change of terms) and was curious of your maps origins, and so searched your map hoping to find your forums, and subsequently, I found this thread.

However, when I was still developing ToJ I did do searches for "tomb of Jarahcon", its a good way to find feedback and ideas that people had posted on forums or message boards that I didn't frequent. I cared because I'd poured so much time into the map and, at the time, found it useful since Ive never had a clan or group of reliable players to test with, I call it 'flying solo' :D

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:34 pm

I'm absolutely sure that the multiboard isn't identical, but it certainly took its roots from yours. You could have also followed my home page link on WC3C, as it takes you here. :)

Anyways, you had some good ideas going in ToJ, but there were some seriously game breaking design decisions made that kept it from being one of those maps you played once in awhile forever. I'd always liked the dungeon crawler style where you go through different levels, fight unique bosses, and then build your guy from the ground up. A lot of what I ended up going with for my implementation came from the Zelda games, though. I love how in the Zelda games, every dungeon is so wildly different from the last with a totally different environment, tasks, and a totally different boss to take you on. That's really what OD's development was modeled after, taking all of the craziest boss ideas I'd ever thought up and integrating them into a dungeon crawler with character development akin to that of ToJ.

Guess that's the development paradigm of OD in a nutshell.
Xenoche wrote:I cared because I'd poured so much time into the map and, at the time, found it useful since Ive never had a clan or group of reliable players to test with, I call it 'flying solo'
I started in a similar fashion, but these guys just gravitated towards me over time. I think a dedicated group for testing is pivotal to both motivation and inspiration. They give you ideas when you can't think of any yourself, they love your work so you are always motivated to work, and they test things thoroughly and give meaningful suggestions where they think they can help.

You should give the community thing a try, it's not so bad. :p

VZManticoran
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by VZManticoran » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:34 am

Except when we're absolutely horrible and he bans himself or us. :-P
Image Image Image Image Image
--------Eli-------------Ben------------Alex----------Isabelle---------David----

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:09 am

We're like parasitic leeches that spew vomi...I mean ideas back at him.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:11 am

Except that vomit's bad and ideas are good.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:26 pm

Yeah, like Loki said just hit up the channel (you may want to start a topic first and see how many people join.)

It's a pretty cool map, but was kinda repetitive after a while. If you work on it it sure could become gold.

Return to “Updates and Discussion”