And The Winner Is...

Let's play a game. If you win, you might just get some representation in DoE!

Who do you want to win?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:19 pm

Poppy's Canus Unum
46%
Daryll's Thorrum Cainus
13%
Storm's Travayl
41%

Total votes: 56

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Re: And The Winner Is...

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 pm

You're turning my negative claim into a positive claim strawman. Nobody will persecute you for making a blademaster rely on attacking type spells.
If this is the case, then you shrouded your point in such ways so that I had no clue what you were talking about, nice. I'm not beating up the topic at all, I'm beating up what I perceive that you're saying with which I strongly disagree.
So when a pit lord cast's blink, it might really seem strange and unsettling, but if you really want to have a pit lord with a teleporting mechanic, there might be a way to make it seem flavorful and fitting. Maybe the pit lord could summon some demonic voids at two points, and use them as a gateway?
To force such a dynamic as one you're suggesting to function only as a single unit teleport would be stupid. Why not expand that to allow any number of units to traverse through and have the portal open for X seconds? Besides, the point was that a pit lord couldn't viably function as a hero chaser, it just doesn't fit the model. The discussion of blink was limited to Colonel's map only.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:18 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote:To force such a dynamic as one you're suggesting to function only as a single unit teleport would be stupid. Why not expand that to allow any number of units to traverse through and have the portal open for X seconds? Besides, the point was that a pit lord couldn't viably function as a hero chaser, it just doesn't fit the model.
What if the pit lord only has enough magical potence to open the portal long enough for him self to jump through and nothing more? The pit lord does have a nice fast walk animation. This and if you are able to make a abilities that make sense you can make anything fit any role. It's just harder and requires more creativity with some models. For instance, I doubt any of us have the creative genius to create a melee archmage tanker, but theoretically, it would be possible.

vesuvan
Revenent of the Replies

Post by vesuvan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:24 pm

To force such a dynamic as one you're suggesting to function only as a single unit teleport would be stupid. Why not expand that to allow any number of units to traverse through and have the portal open for X seconds?
That's not a bad idea, I was thinking the same thing really. It would only enforce the concept of fitting the mechanics of spells to the cosmetic explanation, and fitting that to the hero model.
If this is the case, then you shrouded your point in such ways so that I had no clue what you were talking about, nice. I'm not beating up the topic at all, I'm beating up what I perceive that you're saying with which I strongly disagree.
Nobody is claiming that animation use, hero cosmetics, spell effects, and spell mechanics do not culminate into if the hero is well designed or not. My argument is that these are the only things that are relevant, not whether your demon hunter hero has the ability to blink.

Even unit skins change things dramatically, I'm sure many people wouldn't associate antihero's theoden skin with a dedicated healer. Even look at the blazeguard, I'm pretty sure nobody is expecting him to throw envenomed spears or go berserk.
What if the pit lord only has enough magical potence to open the portal long enough for him self to jump through and nothing more? The pit lord does have a nice fast walk animation. This and if you are able to make a abilities that make sense you can make anything fit any role. It's just harder and requires more creativity with some models. For instance, I doubt any of us have the creative genius to create a melee archmage tanker, but theoretically, it would be possible.
That still sound very contrived. I can imagine the disappointment of the players that they cannot use the portal in more flexible ways.
͎̟͕͎̯̺͎̟͕͎̯̺ĩ̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠
̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:31 pm

Nobody is claiming that animation use, hero cosmetics, spell effects, and spell mechanics do not culminate into if the hero is well designed or not. My argument is that these are the only things that are relevant, not whether your demon hunter hero has the ability to blink.
So we weren't even talking about the same things, no wonder we couldn't figure out what the other was talking about. I was talking strictly that a hero's role is influenced heavily by said hero's model. The same skillset quite obviously won't work on a pit lord that would work on a demon hunter, for instance.
Even unit skins change things dramatically, I'm sure many people wouldn't associate antihero's theoden skin with a dedicated healer. Even look at the blazeguard, I'm pretty sure nobody is expecting him to throw envenomed spears or go berserk.
Of course, I agree entirely, but a healer or a spear-throwing burn-dude aren't so far fetched for the models they're working with. The more dramatic and extreme examples are the ones I would have a hard time buying into.

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:48 pm

It seems we might've all been talking about different things, since I agree that you couldn't take a demon hunter's skills and tact it onto a pit lord. That would be stupid.
Rising_Dusk wrote:The more dramatic and extreme examples are the ones I would have a hard time buying into.
Polar bears that shoot arcs of frogs. ~_~

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:42 am

The Colonel wrote:
Rising_Dusk wrote:The more dramatic and extreme examples are the ones I would have a hard time buying into.
Polar bears that shoot arcs of frogs. ~_~
Maybe if it was penguins, seals, ice, or water it would make sense...

Anyways, glad to see that people on this forum actually think things through before posting, and also seem experienced with wc3 as well. Sorry for the wall of text, had to test the waters a bit with that one; it probably won't happen...often.

Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:49 am

I find it ironic that I was the one who said I would create an interactive attack based hero eventually, and then dusk gets inspired to make one from a suggestion that isn't like it at all...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pestilence :: Rocky the V :: Buz-Ze :: Zen :: The Kid:: Imperius

Kings_Mercy
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Kings_Mercy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:40 pm

So is it over?

Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Soul_Reaver » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:45 pm

Did anybody say so? I believe somewhere around 30-40 votes on a single hero is the point where we should stop, or somewhere around Saturday...
Last edited by Soul_Reaver on Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:50 pm

Poll runs till Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:19 pm

Kings_Mercy
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Kings_Mercy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:23 pm

Well it was 240 when i posted that last post i dont know what timezone its running off from.

Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Soul_Reaver » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:24 pm

It's "Poll ended at Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:19 pm". It's over then, Meridia, the Phantom Widowmaker, Dagurnott, the Monolith Colossus and Parhelios, the Anima Annihilus are the heroes we will get to play in 1.09 along with Canus Unum, who beat Travayl with a whooping amount of 3 votes. Get ready to summon Penumbra upon my mark. :D

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:36 pm

Woops, I forgot to vote. It would've been to Canus anyways.

Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Soul_Reaver » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:41 pm

PWNT! How can you forget to vote in your own pool? :D

Mr_Poppykins
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Mr_Poppykins » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:48 pm

Soul_Reaver wrote:a whooping amount of 3 votes.
Four votes, unless you think Colonel is that cool of a guy to be two people.

Return to “Hero Contest #2”