[B+] Travayl, the Serrated Blade

Let's play a game. If you win, you might just get some representation in DoE!
shalnath
Holder of the Alt-F4

[B+] Travayl, the Serrated Blade

Post by shalnath » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:10 pm

Travayl
the Serrated Blade
Melee, Agility; Order

[Envenom]
LEVEL 1 Skill
  • Active
    Deals X damage over 3 seconds and extends ruin on the target by Y seconds.
[Preparation]
LEVEL 1 Skill
  • Active
    Stuns the target for X seconds if they suffer from a condition. Refreshes all other cooldowns.
[Opportunity]
LEVEL 1 Skill
  • Active
    Blinds enemies in the immediate area and causes Travayl’s next attack to deal X bonus damage and cripple the target for Y seconds.
[Master of Deception]
LEVEL 6 Ultimate
  • Passive
    Whenever the hero uses an ability, his invisibility is extended by X seconds.
"Within every world, there are cultures, within every culture, there are groups, within every group, there are leaders. These leaders are not truly chosen, they are destined, it is their fate to lead, and it is this fate that drives them. Souls yearn to be driven, they in themselves can not direct, however, these leaders are predetermined, by whatever means, to guide the wills and mend the errors of these wandering souls. A forest, cold, cured, flawless, meticulous, and fearful, what drives it, what keeps the balance? The inner beings of all the co-existant creatures swarm together, and every one is guided by another, in more a cycle, then a hierarchy. The eyes of a forest are always watching and guiding, yet the sun never sets on the forest, and it never shall." ~ The Chaos Theory

Phox
Letter Linguist

Re: Travayl, the Deadwood Assassin

Post by Phox » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:45 pm

This hero is pretty cool. Simple, but he works together well. He isn't particularly technical is the only thing, other then the second skill.

Still, I'm of the opinion that this hero is an excellent example of DoE's simplicity done well.

RadON
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by RadON » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:37 am

Heroes in this contest require a skill that interacts with maim condition one way or another.
Last edited by RadON on Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

BD423
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by BD423 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:42 am

i think dusk said either maim or blind.
I swear to drunk im not god.

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:38 am

The hero must use Maim and/or Blind in some manner.
There's proof.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:29 am

The big problem I have is that smokescreen is so damned similar to atrius's sandstorm

Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:20 am

Shadow Step
Level 1 Skill

Teleport to target unit and deal +X damage on your next attack within Y seconds. The damage bonus is increased by Z if the unit is suffering from a condition.
Good lord man! You managed to think of the exact same skill as I did, with even the same name!

The cosmic coincidences working against me are simply astounding! Argh...Now I have to think up something completely new...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pestilence :: Rocky the V :: Buz-Ze :: Zen :: The Kid:: Imperius

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Hemorrhage seems sort of filler. I don't know how much fun I'd really have while playing this hero.

On another note, all you see is "Travayl, the Deadwood Ass..." from the main board and the DoE board :P.
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Thanatos
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Thanatos » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:50 pm

I've got $5 that Storm's going to get a B or higher for this hero contest. :P
yuuki o misetsuketemo tsuyogattemo hitoei de wa iki.

Cold Phoenix
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Cold Phoenix » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:03 pm

I think it would be cooler if his other spells synergized with invisibility at least somewhat..
Your move.

VZShadowRain
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by VZShadowRain » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:47 pm

Jeas guys, how about giving Storm some constructive criticism other than just blind comments?

Smoke Shroud: Would he only be invisible in the cloud? Or would you be able to cast it up on a hill then go down and attack while invisible? Your description seems a bit vague. Is he only invisible while enemies are in the cloud?

Shadow Step: Seems like a case of over complication. Could you use this to teleport to an allied unit then attack someone else? How would you justify giving him the bonus damage if he ended up attacking someone other than the person he teleported to? It seems kind of clunky and weird, maybe a bit of editing for this.

Hemorrhage: So does this do no damage? Why is he getting stunned then? If I were you, I would get rid of this skill entirely. If Dusk wouldn't mind, one of the skills he was brainstorming last night would be really great for this hero. It was called Slicer and was a nuke that did less damage to units suffering from a condition (or was it more to units not suffering from any conditions?), but either way, I don't really like it. The only reason I can see you putting this in is for the ultimate, and I'll get to that in a second.

Envenom: It seems a LOT like Atrius's ultimate. I really think that the increase of attack speed is kinda bland and unnecessary, and the second part is as well. I like the idea of a passive ultimate for this guy, even though almost all assassin type heroes have passive ultimates. I would say to just get rid of 'if bleeding' and put in 'if suffering from a condition,' but then he's just an Atrius for the Order. I think you should play on the whole venom idea. Maybe have it be a passive that adds bonus damage when the unit you're attacking is below a threshold percent of hit points.

Overall, he seems like a very cliche assassin hero. He has a lot of potential, and I think if you change a few areas he can become a really great proposition for DoE. Keep in mind, my only interest is to help other people make great heroes so that Dusk can have a true selection of entrants to this contest, and I think you could probably make this guy so he could at least place.
-ShadowRain Image

Internet is the cocaine of the mind. -My Friend

shalnath
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by shalnath » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:11 pm

Wow SR, thanks a ton for the elaborate feedback.

Smoke Shroud just blinds units in the immediate area. The cloud only lasts as long as the animation does and once used, he's invisible for X seconds.

Shadow Step is mainly about the mobility. Yes, you can teleport to an ally and attack an enemy or teleport to an enemy and attack a different one as long as it's within the duration.

Hemorrhage is kind of filler for right now. But I would like some sort of stun or immobilization.

Envenom's attack speed increase was meant to be pretty high, around 300% or so at max level. I was thinking it would be good to use after Hemmorhage, when your target can't move and you can just lay down the DPS. However, your idea for the extra damage below a health threshold is a good idea and after reading/typing this, a few new ideas have popped into my head to make these skills better yet still achieve the playstyle I want. Thanks.
"Within every world, there are cultures, within every culture, there are groups, within every group, there are leaders. These leaders are not truly chosen, they are destined, it is their fate to lead, and it is this fate that drives them. Souls yearn to be driven, they in themselves can not direct, however, these leaders are predetermined, by whatever means, to guide the wills and mend the errors of these wandering souls. A forest, cold, cured, flawless, meticulous, and fearful, what drives it, what keeps the balance? The inner beings of all the co-existant creatures swarm together, and every one is guided by another, in more a cycle, then a hierarchy. The eyes of a forest are always watching and guiding, yet the sun never sets on the forest, and it never shall." ~ The Chaos Theory

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:22 pm

300%?!!?!

I still think that smokescreen is extremely similar to atrius's sandstorm. I know the sandstorm doesn't have an invisibility component to it but...

oh wait...

it does...

they're the same spells!

BD423
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by BD423 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:59 pm

realy there are a couple components of flash powder(or whatever its called) that sets it apart from sandstorm. Sand storm dosnt grant invisibility atrius's ashes to ashes does. Sand storm does damage, im not sure but i think flash powder dosnt. Also if i read this right then Trav casts it as a pbaoe (like gust) while atriuses is targeted aoe.

it is a lil similiar to sand storm but not as much as i think ur thinking
I swear to drunk im not god.

shalnath
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by shalnath » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:07 pm

Aye, you nailed it right on the head BD. The only similarity is the AoE blind.

Return to “Hero Contest #2”