Lord of the Blade

If you want to discuss novels, poems, or just submit your own creations for criticism and enjoyment you can do so here.
Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Lord of the Blade

Post by Deschain » Thu May 29, 2008 7:06 am

PROLOGUE:
Once upon a time there was a Warrior unlike any before him. A living legend. From battles stacked heavily against him he survived with nothing more than a few scratches. Few enemies managed to survive his dance of death. Those that did can only testify to his mezmering sword mastery.
Eventually his tribe gave him the highest honor – his name was written in the Bloodstones, a warrior’s reward for a lifetime of slaughter a reward almost exclusively given posthumously. And that shook the Warrior far worst than any foe ever could. He realized that in a way his life was over. The knowledge that he reached the end of the Warrior’s Path frightened him beyond any reason. So he threw away his sword and started a search for a new purpose, a new path. A new tool.

Years have passed and the Warrior still wandered looking for a new path. On one such night a storm of all storms was loose and Warrior took refuge in a nearby cave. Lulled by the beat of the rain he quickly fell asleep but he awakened suddenly to see an old man meditating in front of him. How the old man could move in so silently was beyond him. Warrior got up and approached the old man. Out of the blue the old man spoke:
“Warrior you are mistaken. Your path doesn’t end yet. There is still one foe standing in it. Death. He walks on the inner belly of earth, in castle darker than any night”
With this words Warrior’s mind awakened from his dream. For first time in many years Warrior had a purpose. He took his sword and inspected it. It was as sharp as the day he left it. He was ready.
In a castle darker than any night Death was waiting. He had no time to lose.

INTRODUCTION:
A man sat on the blood soaked battleground. In his hands rested a gift from the Death God - his Dark Blade.
He sat motionless for hours, sometimes even days, never twitching, never moving a single muscle. He wasn't praying nor sleeping. He was waiting. His ears picked up the slightest step, the feeblest stab or clash of weapons. His closed eyes pictured every wound, every corpse and man that surrounded him. His nose felt every rotting corpse, rusted sword or warm wood of a flinged arrow... In a way he had better overview of what happened in the battlefield than any other participant did. Those that doubted this fact laid on the ground around his body, disemboweled and gasping for their last breath.

But in his mind there was nothing but him and his blade. He could feel it's rising hunger and feel as its urge to feed spilled into him. He raised the Dark Blade in the air and the ever-sharp edge of it shimmered with a greedy green glow. He stood up and faced the battlefield. After a brief check of the situation at hand he gave his sword a slight nod and with unseen agility hurled himself in the crowd. The Dark Blade sang. And it was a song of death and despair.

Lord of the Blade was outnumbered and severely wounded. But he was in a frenzy. His mind hushed the pain of thousands wounds etched across his body. He registered every cry of his body but chose to disregard it. He knew he was dying, he knew he wouldn't leave the fight alive and he was overwhelmed with happiness. For him each bone cracked, each piece of flesh torn or each cell dead meant one step closer to his God. One step closer to Nirvana.

Fueled with pain and welcoming death he continued his twisted dance across the battlefield becoming a whirlwind of black metal and blood. The only thing he felt now was his Dark blade and himself. And the dance of death continued.

Once it was over he was almost sad. Chorus of his wounds sang a painful melody but now it didn't matter. He stood alone on the battlefield filled with corpses of his foes.
He caressed the edge of Dark Blade as it was his firstborn son. It was satiated. For now. So he sat on the battlefield crossing his legs and placing the Dark Blade in his lap. He closed his eyes and waited...

END:
Lord of the Blade lay on the ground fighting for his last breath. His Dark Blade broken in half laid next to him. A figure in red hovered over his body. At first he was unable to recognize it but as it came closer he could smell its sulphuric breath and notice its glowing red armor. It was beyond doubt Lord of Flames. A spasm hit Lord of the Blade sending him closer to his treacherous master. Lord of Flames turned to his minions saying:
"This one is dying but the other one still lives. Take him and this shattered sword into my chambers. It will be an interesting night. No one is to know about our little... discovery."
"NO!!! THIS CANNOT BE, NOT LIKE THIS!! NOT…NOT WHILE HE LIVES…", Lord of the Blade thought while attempting to reanimate his pain crushed body into committing his last act of vengeance. But alas the final stroke crushed his heart sending him spiraling into eternal darkness.
Last edited by Deschain on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Re: Lord of the Blade

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Thu May 29, 2008 5:56 pm

Dark Blade?
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Thu May 29, 2008 11:23 pm

The moment I finished reading this, I came up with an entire story within a second.

Man vs. Self! Woohoo!

(Idea: The Lord of the Blade is eventually defeated by an angel/powerful being/ultimate rival/whatever but is "cursed" (from his point of view) by the giving of his opponent's blade, in order to redeem himself for his past sins. Instead, he tries to use the holy weapon to continue killing but cannot because whenever he tries to lay a "killing blow" down, the weapon itself prevents it. For example: he is mowing through his enemies but his attacks can never kill them, and instead, the attackers and simply pushed away, unhurt. Then, even when he tries to "execute" one particular enemy by decapitation, the holy weapon (sword, in this case) freezes in place just before it cuts down the enemy, thus preventing any more killing. From there, the Lord of the Blade flees in anger (and shame[?]) for not being able to kill anybody anymore. He eventually must overcome his thirst for blood. Once he does (or even better, while he is trying to accept his new fate), another evil knight comes by and they fight to the death. In the end of the duel, the Lord of the Blade (now a holy guy) cames to grips with his fate and passes on the holy weapon to the defeated one (who is not killed). The Lord of the Blade then leaves and later ascends to Heaven.)

Wow. You don't mind if I do something like the above, do you? Or was that your entire story? :?: :o

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Fri May 30, 2008 8:06 am

TheIrishPatriot wrote:Dark Blade?
After a brief check of the situation at hand he gave his sword a slight nod and with unseen agility hurled himself in the crowd.
Ok I fixed the mistake. I forgot blade isn't synonymous with sword.

He is very tied to his sword so I wanted to emphasize this by referring to it as a sword only once. If you want more explanation just ask.

Actually Hydro that is a great idea... But unfortunately Lord of the Blade killed people by thousands so it wouldn't really fit the idea of holy blade you mentioned. He has background though. He is one of the Six Lords that led the Army of Death during the Zarphen campaigns.

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Fri May 30, 2008 5:10 pm

You wouldn't mind if I just followed along what I said myself, would you? (Like, make my own story from what I said in that post I made?)

It looks like you have a lot of backstory done; wantz moar!

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Fri May 30, 2008 5:44 pm

Sure make a story about a man reffered to as Lord of the Blade, the name is generic enough. Just don't expect it to be integrated within my world. I don't have angels (I have flying people but they are very rare and xenopobic) or swords such as you mention.

If you want to know more just ask... I'll answer if the question is specific enough.

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Sat May 31, 2008 12:24 am

It's okay. I'd just love to see more of the story.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:52 am

Ok so what are you interested in, his backgrounds, his origins or his demise?

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:43 pm

All!

YAY!

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:29 pm

Bump

Prologue and End added... What you wanted you got :P Prologue will be expanded but end remains as it is.

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:54 am

sorry, I should stop with just assuming people know what I mean when I just use nouns XD.

I was questioning 'DARK blade', because it sounds on the cheesy side. I couldn't care less about blade/sword.
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:39 pm

Aye, I have a rough draft of my own "version," *slash* offshoot.
I'm posting it in that Cajillion things thread.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:00 am

TheIrishPatriot wrote:sorry, I should stop with just assuming people know what I mean when I just use nouns XD.

I was questioning 'DARK blade', because it sounds on the cheesy side. I couldn't care less about blade/sword.
I know its cheesy but I if I called it Reaper or something... the hint would be too obvious.

Dark Blade is a not just a sword. It is imbued with a soul and linked to the Death God himself. It is a symbiont with the Death's God energy. Through it Death God can bestow his powers to the Lord of the Blade but also whenever Lord of the Blade kills someone the Dark Blade directly empower Death God. This has a bad side though. Anything that affects the Blade would directly affect Death God's powers unless he could unbind it fairly quickly and even then his powers would be quite weakened.

Lord of the Blade is in fact nothing but a carrier body for the blade. In other words Blade owns him, not the other way around making his title as the Lord of the Blade quite ironic.

I'll read your spin off it and comment upon it Hydro. Tnx for support anyway.

Return to “Literary Arts”