Official Writing Mechanics Questions

If you want to discuss novels, poems, or just submit your own creations for criticism and enjoyment you can do so here.
TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Official Writing Mechanics Questions

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:36 pm

If you have a question that isn't worthy for a topic, ask it in here. This topic isn't for inspiration. Thus, something like-

"Guys, I need a world, could you help? Take your time."

-Does not work. Something like this, however, works-

"Guys, I'm trying to make a realistic system of government for this one country, but I don't really understand politics. The country is sort of like this, [Description], so the government should reflect it."

-Works better. In addition, mechanics will also be allowed (actually....I probably should have put that first). These questions include things like:

"Could I have some advice on making my people sound real?"

...Please, don't be embarassed by not knowing things that you think you should. Everybody has something that they can't seem to fix. For example, I sometimes can't keep track of senses in scenes. Like, I'll write a chapter, then I'll realize, I haven't described what anything looks like, or, wait, they just went into a pub, why is there no NOISE other then the immediate conversation?

Oh, and it's not just me answering questions. I hope for others with more experience to pitch in. Obviously, I'm better with Fantasy, don't expect me to help you with mystery.
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

Re: Official Writing Mechanics Questions

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:52 pm

Excellent, I've been needing some aid here.

I need to think of a name for a city...But unfortunately, I find to my dismay that I am far worse at creating city names then people names...(no idea how THAT works)

If any of you could throw some ideas around...It would be much appreciated.

The city is a capital, on top of a mountain no less. (literally on the top of the mountain)

Many thanks gent's.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pestilence :: Rocky the V :: Buz-Ze :: Zen :: The Kid:: Imperius

VZShadowRain
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by VZShadowRain » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:44 pm

City names... Do you have a founder? Is there some form of root language? Perhaps Germanic or the like?
-ShadowRain Image

Internet is the cocaine of the mind. -My Friend

shalnath
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by shalnath » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:32 pm

I'm going to go ahead and sticky this. Seems like it could be pretty useful.
"Within every world, there are cultures, within every culture, there are groups, within every group, there are leaders. These leaders are not truly chosen, they are destined, it is their fate to lead, and it is this fate that drives them. Souls yearn to be driven, they in themselves can not direct, however, these leaders are predetermined, by whatever means, to guide the wills and mend the errors of these wandering souls. A forest, cold, cured, flawless, meticulous, and fearful, what drives it, what keeps the balance? The inner beings of all the co-existant creatures swarm together, and every one is guided by another, in more a cycle, then a hierarchy. The eyes of a forest are always watching and guiding, yet the sun never sets on the forest, and it never shall." ~ The Chaos Theory

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:34 pm

daryll...you need to give us more information. What kind of people live there? As Rain said, do they have a language and what's its base? Is there any distinguishing feature about its layout besides the mountain? What is it the capital of? Empire? Kingdom? Democracy? Theocracy? These things are important!

Image Image ImageImageImage

Lawrence-Ember-Mirage-Skywings-Jasmine

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:36 pm

Ok, how much forest in a world is too little, and too much, would you say, in a world? I don't really know. Looking at fantasy maps, there seems to be a large absence, but the real world, there's tons. I would need some for:
The beginning, as humanity awakens.
8 1/2 centuries later, in an area where climate is about that of....Georgia? Lumber a major industry.
4 centuries after that, throughout the whole world, this would be the main time (In case you haven't noticed, time travel is a main theme, and these are only a fraction of the times).
And note, Elves* have a few small patches to themselves.

*My Elves are not Tolkien's, thought I'd get that out there...
An tírghrá Éireannach

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:04 pm

OK when naming a city you should take in view one thing.
1. What do you want your city to represent? What is his geographical location? Any significant landmarks? What do visitors find most striking?

It is pretty much when giving a name to a person. In a way it should phonologically and semantically describe itself. If a village or any other settlement is located near an imposing black rock all chances are the aforementioned village will be called Black Rock etc... If you want to give certain phonetic effect like to high/holy/divine use semivowels and vowels etc. Keep in mind the sound of word has to somewhat resemble the action it describes.

2. Pronouncing the name. Don't name your city Xztuyqwerqpchitchz. Keep your name short as possible and easily pronounceable. If the name is long and tedious to speak by nature its denizens or visitors will shorten it.

3. Flavoring. Giving name a flavor of certain culture. Best way is to study the usually names and phonetics of the culture. Also try to find out which letters are most common in a language and use them frequently (look at this for most common English letters http://deafandblind.com/word_frequency.htm).

Also look this link http://www.giantitp.com/Gaming.html
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:27 pm

Meh...apologies for no information...but ever since Irish mentioned that people could easily steal ideas over the internet...I've been reluctant to post about my story.

Mmm, on second thought, I was just annoyed before. I'll think up one eventually, thanks anyways.

And Irish, I don't see how the amount of lumber is really an issue...are you going to bring that up in the story or what...

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:25 pm

I just don't want people to go, "Wtf, where are the trees?" or "Wtf, where is the land?" Meh, I'll think of more important things.
An tírghrá Éireannach

Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:04 pm

That's not going to be an issue with a casual reader old sport. If you ever make a map though you should probably think about it again.

VZShadowRain
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by VZShadowRain » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:15 pm

Every single idea is 'stolen' from something else, it is just a matter of from what time you stole it from, and from what person you stole the information from, who probably stole some accent of his information from another, who-- you get the idea. I mean, even Tolkien used research for his creations. The languages? They were based on other historical languages.

I don't think you really have to worry about getting your ideas stolen Daryll. It would be interesting to go to Paolini and say, "Hai, I was thinking about writing a book where these things called Shafanargoths can turn things into gold with their toes." then watch him put that in his next book. :D

I guess if you feel that uncomfortable with sharing, then you're allowed to feel uncomfortable, but I'm still going to point out that there is little reasoning behind it.
-ShadowRain Image

Internet is the cocaine of the mind. -My Friend

Echonian
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Echonian » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:01 am

I guarantee when we ever somehow have teleportation, that it would be an original idea that made it possible. Or something like that. And I mean working teleportation with entire humans and such.

Edit: And I think the entire concept of plagiarism sucks, mostly because you can get sued for it without ever even reading the source material. Coincidence gets people sued often. And then i'm told you are supposed to, when you find information online, to "change it" so it isn't stealing. But are you not taking their information? How is changing the words changing anything when its information. For a book, I would agree, but even then things can be similar often just by coincidence. A lot of people write.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:11 pm

Daryll-The-Damned wrote:Meh...apologies for no information...but ever since Irish mentioned that people could easily steal ideas over the internet...I've been reluctant to post about my story.

Mmm, on second thought, I was just annoyed before. I'll think up one eventually, thanks anyways.

And Irish, I don't see how the amount of lumber is really an issue...are you going to bring that up in the story or what...
That's my own personal qualm, because I don't know how likely it is. Thus, I'm on the safe side. There's no reasoning behind it, just caution. It's your choice.

Oh, and I'm tired of the "Everything was stolen from something" idea. You're not going to be able to break that idea by looking at Eragon, Star Wars, or even Tolkien. If all ideas were stolen, then the literary world would have dried up a few years ago, but as I can see, it's still going.

Oh, and I encourage people to read Katherine Kerr. We know that Fantasy has roots in Celtic mythology, but this is actually full-on Celtic Fantasy. The multiple lives (People die, they come back as a new person years later) that intercede and create destiny are a cool concept, based on Celtic ideas, but built on and expanded.
An tírghrá Éireannach

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:22 pm

Oh, and I'm tired of the "Everything was stolen from something" idea. You're not going to be able to break that idea by looking at Eragon, Star Wars, or even Tolkien. If all ideas were stolen, then the literary world would have dried up a few years ago, but as I can see, it's still going.
Not stolen, but rather recycled in a different context. The 'literary world' has already long-since shriveled and died, all that's being produced now are regurgitations of past ideas.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:15 pm

There are no unique stories.
Just unique tangents.
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Return to “Literary Arts”