Official Writing Mechanics Questions

If you want to discuss novels, poems, or just submit your own creations for criticism and enjoyment you can do so here.
TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Re: Official Writing Mechanics Questions

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:52 am

If it was a cultish sort of Death god, I'd go with Shulfah.
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:54 pm

The Formless One, Viash, Undoul, Nseth.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:35 pm

Kaome Sky Deathand wrote:If Lady Death was anything other than Lady Death in the Infinity Gauntlet/Wars She wouldn't have been as awesome to me.
I know what you mean, but it's not always cool to name a character Lord/Lady Death.

You have to find a place for it where it fits, you know?

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:31 pm

I need helpz. Ok. My behind the scenes evil dudes who are...the main evil dudes-are three demons. The Destroyer, the Trickster, and the Tempter (He's in charge. Could be a woman, though, but as the temptation isn't simply lust, I don't feel like switching anytime soon).

Anyways, checking through Revelations (My last book has tons of references), found Abaddon, the Destroyer. And after a sharp intake of breath, I decided I'd incorporate that. So, he has locusts. Then I thought, well, better find something for the other two as well. Thus, the Trickster works pretty well with the Leviathan (Mostly because Trickster is broad, and the Leviathan is described more as a monster then as a personification of anything, so he's broad). But what demon is temptation? All kinds of temptation.
An tírghrá Éireannach

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:41 pm

I don't like the idea of the trickster being a giant fish. Just doesn't seem tricky to me.

You could have temptation be a hidden, obscure creature that subtly manipulates and controls from the background. This personifies temptation in general, something in the back of ones head that slowly manipulates the person.

Pretty much, I would have temptation simply blend into the shadows and not have a define figure.

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:01 pm

The Colonel wrote:I don't like the idea of the trickster being a giant fish. Just doesn't seem tricky to me.

You could have temptation be a hidden, obscure creature that subtly manipulates and controls from the background. This personifies temptation in general, something in the back of ones head that slowly manipulates the person.

Pretty much, I would have temptation simply blend into the shadows and not have a define figure.
Let me phrase this better. They ARE in the background, manipulating. They simply need symbolical forms. It's mostly just a treat for me. Only the Destroyer truly comes to Earth.
An tírghrá Éireannach

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:23 pm

Oooooooh!

I've a great idea for that here, I'll see if my hand will cooperate and let me draw it.

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:51 am

Rawr. Heck, it's probably better to totally change their names.

"I'm the Trickster. Go into the caves. Nothing bad will happen."
"I'm the Destroyer. But REALLY, hey man, I just want to talk to you. SRSLY. I'm not going to bring down a mountain on the city or anything like that. Nope."
An tírghrá Éireannach

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:59 am

All names are pretty... So only one possible solution. Demons will call him Xar, Norathians will call him Unspeakable, Tharaii will call him Nseth and Axrians will call him Chrn...

I got an idea for the trickster. Make your Trickster feminine in appearance (something like Slaanesh)and call him Lucia (reference to Lucifer or Light) or call him Lux-something.
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:03 pm

Well, since it's apparently overused...I'd like to ask for your help.

In my setting here, there is a "place" called the Void. It is the ultimate epitome of reality, everything that exists, will exist, or has existed exists somewhere within the Void. It is everything, and at the same time it is nothing.

All material "universes" exist within this "plane". However, it's not visible(usually) to material creatures or people. Anyway...

Now I made up this name a looong time ago...I just thought it up on a whim because I figured it sounded cool and I needed a name. But for a while now I've been thinking kind of in the back of my mind that it needs something...different.

The trouble is I can't think of anything that would really fit as well as the Void...Maybe that's just from me using it for years now...but whatever.

Any ideas then would be appreciated.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pestilence :: Rocky the V :: Buz-Ze :: Zen :: The Kid:: Imperius

Steve
Revenent of the Replies
Location: Dropping lasers or meteors on some unfortunate bystander... what?

Post by Steve » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:57 pm

The Aether?
The Echoing Realm?
The Ultimate?
The enemy are in disarray, ride them down as they run
Send them to their violent graves, don't spare anyone
Dead and wounded lie all around, see the pain in their eyes
Over the field an eerie sound, as we hear the raven's cry

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:58 pm

This world you think of doesn't sound much different from reality. I'm serious. Get into physics, virtual particles, and you learn that essentially everything is everywhere all the time, but for such a short time, that it essentially, is not. Meaning, you have at this second, 12 president Lincolns looking over yer shoulder, but they collide so fast with the anti-particles(Anti-Lincolns) that they are removed from reality with hardly a trace. Oh course, this is extremely simplified, but that's the jist of it. Do the everythings in your universe disappear rapidly?

I like The Aether that ye suggested, but I think "The Echo," would be best.

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:39 am

Well it would also depend on how it appears in your context.

For instance;

The Void in Dusks realm.
If you don't know what that is already he'd be happy to tell you I'm sure.

Now take my Void.
The Void I use is a very dreadful place...
A shadowed realm of monstrous nightmare creatures and things that defy reality.
In the storyline the world has been 'reset' twice now, all players and all things sent back into the beginning by the whim of two insane gods that play an eternal game of chess. However, there are two beings that come from the Void. A creature named Kaelis and a machinelike construct named Vortex. They have never been affected by the set back of time. Everyone else losses memory and abilities and weapons and understanding EXCEPT them. They recall all things, they keep any and all upgrades or transformations, and they evolve into ever more potent destroyers of life. This is because they are Voidwalkers. They come from a place that these two gods cant even fathom...a place they have never seen, a place beyond even their power.
Kaelis once described it as a place that is living in perpetual twilight...there is a black sun that gives off 'Dark Light' and makes the realm what it is. There are no real cities, no populace of any machines or creatures making walls and homes...it is a vast jungle swathed in darkness where kill or be killed comes into play every moment of everyday.
Who made it, the ruins there, and how creatures came to exist in it is beyond them or anyone else.
Vortex says very little on his travels to anyone.

Its not a different world though....it has borders of sheer nothingness around it.
It is a construct made outside the boundary of time itself...there is no marking of passage.
Things may grow and live and die by others, but there is no death of old age or sickness.
An outsider going into the Void wouldn't change. He could spend 100 years in the Void and wouldn't show any signs.

Your Void sounds like a 'Collector'
The center of all that is and yet is not.
A place within a place within a place.

The problem isn't the name.
The 'Void' fits....its just how you let it be interpreted through your characters is what matters most.
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:13 am

Personally, your Void Daryll, sounds like a great junction. So my suggestion would be Nexus or something neutral that shows union of your world (Unionverse?).
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:12 am

My Void (Hi, I'm a writer, and I...have a Void) has two parts. The center, is, well, nothingness. Void. One character uses it store his stuff.

The rest...Above the actual void part are the higher spirits. Only a few humans can access this plane. These spirits are just a bit lower then angels and demons, in terms of power. They're rather important, actually.

Below the void are all the lesser spirits...this is where magic is leeched: Magic is the pulling of power/elements from the void, and bringing it crashing to this world. Other people, shamans, will simply ask the spirits for help. That area of the void contains multiple abodes for all the spirits. It's still a plane above our world, and thus, one can't go prancing around there.

Edit: More details, because I feel like it. The void is also...connected to each person. Every person has a connection. It's just a simple tether, and that's how dreams and such come about. Magic is simply training/growing the tether and utilizing it. To disable a person's magicalness-Wait, just a sec. Aside: Every person has the capacity for magic. And I don't mean, "Well, everybody can do it, but 95% can only do crap." Ooooh no. Everybody can do it, some crap, some amazing. But the first magical organization (Asarlai) became political, and it was in their interests to simply make people believe that only Asarlai-born could be magical. It was an amazing campaign. 70% of the world is convinced that only the Asarlai CAN be magical (And they live on an isolated island, interbreeding is a nono). The rest simply believe that the random people popping up who can do magic have it in their bloodline (Which they do), and the Asarlai simply rush out and collect that person anyways. These people believe that it's impossible to train without Asarlai tutlerage. So the Asarlai are pretty much alone in their ways. Only by the time the series rolls around do people start to realize, hey, we can do this, we don' thave to take your crap. /endaside. Elvish sorcerers and shamans are called Asveri, and Asarlai simply say, "Well that's THEM. But it's only us out of humans who can do magic. Mhm mhm!"

But yeah. To disable a person's magicalness, wizards (Asveri!) have to cut the tether. It takes six of them, but it can be done, breaking the person away from the void. The person is now Disabled. Side-effects: Shortened lifespan. Most only live until 35-45 after that. It'll kill the elderly. There will also be a Curse, a physical lash from the strain that effects the body. This is because the body is MEANT to be connected to the void. This ranges from an arm dying, to blindness, to crippling. And, this person gets anti-magic :D. They are now a Disabler. Magic is about bringing the Void to the earth, bending reality...Disabling is about shattering matter or energy. One inventive fellow Disables the air in a sphere around him. As good as invincible, until an Asarlai comes along or he runs out of energy.

And that's a random tidbit from my story. Comments? Kaome, that should explain a bit.
An tírghrá Éireannach

Return to “Literary Arts”