Suggested Reads

If you want to discuss novels, poems, or just submit your own creations for criticism and enjoyment you can do so here.
Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Suggested Reads

Post by Jericho Veronus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:10 pm

I saw that this part of the forum did cover actual literary works and I had some suggestions of books I had recently finished reading (though with as often as I actually read, recently covers the past six months or so) but it didn't seem to have a thread for letting people know of books out there that they enjoyed without making a thread for that specific book.

I know that was wordy but basically here's a thread for people to put out the names of any recent literary works that they'd suggest to others.

For starters I have two books, Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie and My War: Killing Time in Iraq by Colby Buzzell. I know war stories aren't for everyone but the first one easily teaches some life lessons and the second is a pretty accurate realization of the war in Iraq from a couple years ago.
May God have mercy on your soul, for you shall find none here!

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Re: Suggested Reads

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:27 pm

I've always had a thing for Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code, the former being my absolute favorite. I haven't actually sat down and read a book in ages, though. My last series to crunch through was the Diablo Sin War trilogy. It was frackin' epic, might I add.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Black_Heart
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Black_Heart » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:32 pm

If you enjoy science fiction and haven't read the Ender's series by Orson Scott Card, you should. All four books are hella awesome. I haven't read the Ender's Shadow series yet, so I can't comment on that, but the main series is really good.
Image Image Image Image

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:31 am

My new manager Cody has good taste in reads.
He offered the series 'Necroscope' and I bought the first one.

I'm hooked.
Brian Lumley has a very interesting take on the supernatural.

Gail Z. Martin's Chronicles of the Necromancer
An interesting take on how necromancy is honorable instead of despised.

The Warhammer 40k 'Horus Heresy' line has its ups and downs.
Some books are pure brilliance...others leave you filling less than happy about what you just read.

Just a few...
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Scarlet
Global Moderator

Post by Scarlet » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:39 am

Do yourselves a favor and pick up A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin. It's the first book in his 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series, and it's great. All the books in the series are easily some of my favorites.

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:41 am

scarlet beat me to Song of ice and fire...my new favorite series.

Another author I really like though is C.J. Cheryhh. If you like Science Fiction I suggest you read Downbelow Station. Also, the Chronicles of Amber by Zelasny was really good.

Image Image ImageImageImage

Lawrence-Ember-Mirage-Skywings-Jasmine

Pigger
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Pigger » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:01 pm

One series I grew up on as a kid was the Bazil Broketail series by Christopher Rowley, I haven't gone back to look at it in years but as far as I remember it was pretty amazing.

Vinnam
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by Vinnam » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:40 pm

Kaome Sky Deathand wrote:My new manager Cody has good taste in reads.
He offered the series 'Necroscope' and I bought the first one.

I'm hooked.
Brian Lumley has a very interesting take on the supernatural.
Give me a place to send it and I can send you most, if not ALL the Necroscope books in computer form.

<3 Necroscope.

Other authors I suggest for reading:

Neil Gaiman
L.E. Modesitt
Raymond E. Feist
Jack L. Chalker
Trainer: Brendan Creed
ImageImageImage
Lineup: Noir & Batista

Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Post by Jericho Veronus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:57 pm

Oh and another one I recommend is Neuromancer. We had to read it this semester in my Evolution of Science Fiction class. It's the first story to ever mention the concept of cyber space.
May God have mercy on your soul, for you shall find none here!

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:52 pm

Of the few books I've read recently, I recommend Watchmen to everyone.
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

AnemicRoyalty
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by AnemicRoyalty » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:44 am

On the off-chance you haven't read it, Dune by Frank Herbert is one of the greatest sci-fi novels ever written. I got a copy for my birthday recently so I'm re-reading it now :D (last time I read it was back in junior high school when I was 13, so rawr).

andriejj
Keeper of the Keys

Post by andriejj » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:35 am

All the books by Andrzej Sapkowski. Wiedźmin saga (The Witcher) - fantasy, you might know some of it from that game. Narrenturm, Bicz Boży and Lux Perpetua - fantasy trilogy set in the XV century Europe.

Now the bad part. Wiedźmin is translated, but the translation probably sucks. It just isn't possible for that book to be better in English, it must be worse, due to the limitations of that language and the fluency of Sapkowski in Polish. As for the trilogy, I don't know if it's translated.

From books you could, actually, read, I'd reccomend Coetzee. Yes, he's been awarded the Nobel Prize, but that doesn't mean everyone did read him. Two books in particular, Waiting for the Barbarians and Disgrace. Slow Man is average, imho, so don't bother reading it. I'd start with WftB.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:42 am

First and foremost, I'd recommend anything written by Simon R Green, particularly Blue Moon Rising, the Hawk and Fisher Series, and the Deathstalker series (whoo namesake). The former two are both really good fantasy, although not quite as serious as, say, LotR, while the latter is, conceptually, a parody of the Space Opera concept with some fantasy mixed in. Don't get the impression that these books are just joking around, they're a good mix of humor and seriousness, along with a huge dose of epic.

Additionally, I'd really recommend the Belisarius series by Eric Flint and David Drake. While I've only read the first of these books, An Oblique Approach, it's an excellent book, and my dad, who introduced me to the series, attests to the fact that the rest of them are just as good. Oh, and as an added bonus, they're free to read online here, under "The Belisarius Saga".
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:20 am

AnemicRoyalty wrote:On the off-chance you haven't read it, Dune by Frank Herbert is one of the greatest sci-fi novels ever written. I got a copy for my birthday recently so I'm re-reading it now :D (last time I read it was back in junior high school when I was 13, so rawr).
<3 <3 <3

I also recommend Neil Gaiman's novels to people. American Gods, Anansi Boys, Good Omens, etc. Mostly dark fantasy, with good humor too.
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Return to “Literary Arts”