A Phone Call

If you want to discuss novels, poems, or just submit your own creations for criticism and enjoyment you can do so here.
ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

A Phone Call

Post by ReDSeX » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:08 pm

A man picked up a phone and called his wife.
"Hello dear," he said lovingly.
Hello! She replied. He could hear their children screaming delightfully in the background.
"I just wanted to call and see how the family was doing. I've been worried lately." He rocked back in his chair and leaned against the lonely wall in their dining room. A large chunk of wood on the end broke off and turned to dust.
Whats the matter dear? He heard her say.
"Its just that..." he paused for a second. "I've been thinking a lot lately." He wrapped the broken phone card around his finger as it dangled over his knees. The corners of his lips curled back nervously.
"I dunno what its been honey. Its just that I've had the most unnerving feelings lately." He could imagine his wife sitting on the opposite end of the phone listening. He could picture her face. The way she sat her chin in her palm and looked so thoughtfully into your eyes; despite being worlds away.
"I just miss you is all." He hung up and walked away. The ceiling was bright blue with the sun overhead. The man looked at a picture of a happy family. The frame laid burned on the ground, the singes covered their faces.
I miss you too. Her voice faded. He could picture her face. The way she pulled her hands to her cheeks to stop the flames. The way the skin melted into her palm. The way her eyes followed him as she watched him run. The way she listened to the beat of his cowardice run past their family portrait.
He could hear their children screaming delightfully in the background.

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Re: A Phone Call

Post by Hydrolisk » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:52 pm

Very interesting and compelling.

It looks like you're having the opposite of a writer's block!

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:01 am

Thanks. Yeah, I've been writing something new almost every day now. I enjoy it a lot.

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:41 am

I very much like your writing style, please post more at your leisure.

Return to “Literary Arts”