The Big-Bot Brawl

Discuss anything and everything else you want to here.

Who would win in a fight?

Voltron - "Voltron"
No votes
Megazord - "Power Rangers"
No votes
Big O - "The Big O"
11%
Optimus Prime - "Transformers"
11%
MechaGodzilla - "Gozilla vs MechaGodzilla"
No votes
Nitro - "Metal Warriors"
No votes
Shining Gundam - "Mobile Suit G Gundam"
11%
Metal Gear REX - "Metal Gear Solid" ((Edit: From Raging Raven))
No votes
Unit 01 - "Neon Genesis Evangelion"
11%
Other not mentioned
56%

Total votes: 9

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Re: The Big-Bot Brawl

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:58 pm

Jericho Veronus wrote:Sure it does, Big ass giant robot with big-ass giant weapons = Bad ass giant robot with bad-ass giant weapons, haha
Uh, no.
Jerichi Veronus wrote:We're talking about giant mechs battling each other, pretty sure in this realm both reason and physics are kinda shot in one way or another.
I suppose your only argument here is "Because we don't currently have giant mechs IRL, clearly it is shot in its basis in physics." Sorry, my good chum, but in that you are wrong. The physics of a mech has been around forever, we already have them on smaller scales. The problem is more in the mechanical engineering and material properties necessary to make it worth the (considerable) investment. If you want to get technical, we probably don't have the necessary physics for the engine thrusters to recreate giant mech mechanics exactly, but we're certainly not far out.

It is, however, unreasonable to go "LAWL MY ROBOT CAN HAZ STEPZ ON GALAXIEZ." I mean, the shear effect of the gravitational field caused by that mech would cause the entire universe to orbit it and inevitably collapse when it came into existence. Sorry, but there's definitely a point when it goes from 'wicked cool' to 'just too far.'
Jericho Veronus wrote:And while yes, Nine Ball does rape in AC2:AA, I must disagree with you and Kaome on how awesome he would hold up in said battle royale. Nine Ball rapes other Armored Core. His awesomeness is limited to how awesome he is compared to the other ACs you can build. So when put up against other mechs that surpass the limitations of the normal ACs, i.e. big ass cannons that can be fired on the move, I gotta say, he just doesn't hold up.
Why? ACs are the size of Optimus Prime easily and his style would kick the shit out of the Autobot. Furthermore, size isn't everything, as it's maneuverable enough to best even the biggest of the listed titans. Short of the guy that steps on galaxies, who I don't even consider a plausible option in the poll because he'd destroy the universe (including himself) simply by existing, none of the listed mechs could top 9-Ball.

Shit, I bet 9-Ball could beat Wing Zero, Epyon, Shenlong, Sandrock, Deathscythe Hell, and Custom Heavyarms all at once. This isn't even considering how distinctly more badass 9-Ball is next to any of them. (Eat your heart out, Deathscythe)
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Post by Jericho Veronus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:52 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote: I suppose your only argument here is "Because we don't currently have giant mechs IRL, clearly it is shot in its basis in physics." Sorry, my good chum, but in that you are wrong. The physics of a mech has been around forever, we already have them on smaller scales. The problem is more in the mechanical engineering and material properties necessary to make it worth the (considerable) investment. If you want to get technical, we probably don't have the necessary physics for the engine thrusters to recreate giant mech mechanics exactly, but we're certainly not far out.
Not at all, while the argument of having large robotic war machines is present. I refer to the following. The engines and power sources for fuel presented in the realms of all of the mechs metioned, propulsion systems, not to mention the neuro-networking with pilots, the existence of the various energy weapons, and the obvious flawed engineering in many, though not all, of the mechs in terms of the mobility and agility of the mechs oppossing it's actual weight and displacement.
Rising_Dusk wrote: It is, however, unreasonable to go "LAWL MY ROBOT CAN HAZ STEPZ ON GALAXIEZ." I mean, the shear effect of the gravitational field caused by that mech would cause the entire universe to orbit it and inevitably collapse when it came into existence. Sorry, but there's definitely a point when it goes from 'wicked cool' to 'just too far.'
I do concur that there are instances when mechs are represented when they in fact even go against the laws of reality of that which was created for even that specific mech. Though just because something is too ridiculous for reality, doesn't mean it doesn't kinda bad-ass
Rising_Dusk wrote: Why? ACs are the size of Optimus Prime easily and his style would kick the shit out of the Autobot. Furthermore, size isn't everything, as it's maneuverable enough to best even the biggest of the listed titans. Short of the guy that steps on galaxies, who I don't even consider a plausible option in the poll because he'd destroy the universe (including himself) simply by existing, none of the listed mechs could top 9-Ball.

Shit, I bet 9-Ball could beat Wing Zero, Epyon, Shenlong, Sandrock, Deathscythe Hell, and Custom Heavyarms all at once. This isn't even considering how distinctly more badass 9-Ball is next to any of them. (Eat your heart out, Deathscythe)
You point of the matter of size is legitimate, though that's not what I was referring to. While Armored Core is, among those present, the closest mech world to the reality in which we live, in that it takes into account the over-heating, fuel supply, ammo supply, the ammunition itself, etc. that others do not. However, there are factors that are never taken into account when analyzing such scenarios. The armor of any of these mechs can be constructed of countless materials, including elements alien to us or artificially engineered, as well as the ammunition used for the weapons, solid, energy, or other. Because of that, there's no telling of how exactly the damage of one to another could be measured up.

The ACs, for their solid weapons, use conventional weapons that exist today, simply enlarged. However, for several of the listed mechs, they have at one time been 'tested' against similar types of missiles, explosives, rounds, and received simply a scratch in the paint.

In order to analyze the situation of a cross-over, you must take into account the physics and realities of each of the mechs as they must cross-over as well
May God have mercy on your soul, for you shall find none here!

Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Post by Jericho Veronus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:16 pm

A megadeus would own an armored core.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:18 pm

Jericho Veronus wrote:The engines and power sources for fuel presented in the realms of all of the mechs metioned, propulsion systems, not to mention the neuro-networking with pilots, the existence of the various energy weapons, and the obvious flawed engineering in many, though not all, of the mechs in terms of the mobility and agility of the mechs oppossing it's actual weight and displacement.
First of all, ACs are not driven by any neural-network hackery. That's only those other crazy anime things. Anyways, your only legitimate point is propulsion, but I already mentioned that. General power requirements is also an issue, though at their size an RTG supplies enough energy at the expense of a political uproar. (Politics doesn't count in terms of physical viability)

Energy weapons aren't a good point either. Given the power of an RTG, Class V lasers already exist well under those requirements. The only things that aren't possible are how many people view pulse weapons (short laser bursts). That is actually rather difficult to make with enough power to sear electronics or metal. Still, though, steady-stream lasers capable of damaging infrastructures exist today - many of which are used in anti-missile defense networks by leading technological nations.
Jericho Veronus wrote:I do concur that there are instances when mechs are represented when they in fact even go against the laws of reality of that which was created for even that specific mech. Though just because something is too ridiculous for reality, doesn't mean it doesn't kinda bad-ass
My view differs, likely because of the nature of my career path. For me, utter disregard for physics is bullshit in all things. Bending physics, or rather just posing plausible physics given a large enough time frame (invisibility, laser weaponry, mechs like ACs) is fair by me, however. That's part of why AC is for me, a much more enjoyable experience than say, that Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann show with the galaxy-stepper-onner.
Jericho Veronus wrote:However, there are factors that are never taken into account when analyzing such scenarios. The armor of any of these mechs can be constructed of countless materials, including elements alien to us or artificially engineered, as well as the ammunition used for the weapons, solid, energy, or other. Because of that, there's no telling of how exactly the damage of one to another could be measured up.
It's interesting you bring this up, since it negates the very existence of this poll in the first place.

I considered this, of course. However, for purposes of a "Big-Bot Brawl", the only way to even make it remotely reasonable is to make the assertion that they are all on par with each other in terms of technologies. That's what makes the poll even fun, otherwise it'd just be "Well, X has some insane special weapon Y that automatically makes him win." That's not quite as interesting if you ask me.
Jericho Veronus wrote:In order to analyze the situation of a cross-over, you must take into account the physics and realities of each of the mechs as they must cross-over as well
Rather, I find that the only sensible approach is to compensate each entry in the poll to even out the technological playing field. Otherwise, a "who would win" poll would carry obvious and predictable results. And be honest, who likes a predictable poll?
Jericho Veronus wrote:A megadeus would own an armored core.
Having watched all of Big O and played every AC game ever made, I can safely say that a decently prepared AC pilot could beat a Megadeus. (And vice versa, but come on, it's 9-Ball)

Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Post by Jericho Veronus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:35 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote: First of all, ACs are not driven by any neural-network hackery. That's only those other crazy anime things. Anyways, your only legitimate point is propulsion, but I already mentioned that. General power requirements is also an issue, though at their size an RTG supplies enough energy at the expense of a political uproar. (Politics doesn't count in terms of physical viability)
Energy weapons aren't a good point either. Given the power of an RTG, Class V lasers already exist well under those requirements. The only things that aren't possible are how many people view pulse weapons (short laser bursts). That is actually rather difficult to make with enough power to sear electronics or metal. Still, though, steady-stream lasers capable of damaging infrastructures exist today - many of which are used in anti-missile defense networks by leading technological nations.
I wasn't implying that ACs possess the neural-network, but rather I was listing the reality faults of the general list of the poll.

In terms of energy weapons, I also was referring to the energy blades used by the armored cores. The amount of energy required to run some of the more consuming armored cores, surpasses the material physically being able to be held within then in order to fuel the RTG, while still leaving room everything else.

I'm not saying that with time the RTG won't develop extensive advances in terms of minimal size with maximum output, but the available run time in conjunction with excess of output of specific weapons gun, blades, engines, boosts, and basic run time of ACs is somewhat questionable with the limited space within the ACs themselves.

And you already addressed the problem of rapid firing blasts from energy weapons in terms of your laser comment, so I won't get into that.

However, in addition to the ability of fitting more than one should be able to in terms of supplies and equipment in the ACs, their displacement system is also flawed in that, an AC maintained the same mobility and turning when equipped with a normal arsenal as one with the same weight of arsenal only balanced specifically to a single side. Further explanation is avaible, for those who do not quite get the difference being highlighted here.
Rising_Dusk wrote: That's part of why AC is for me, a much more enjoyable experience than say, that Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann show with the galaxy-stepper-onner.
Honestly, yeah no argument from me here.
Rising_Dusk wrote: Having watched all of Big O and played every AC game ever made, I can safely say that a decently prepared AC pilot could beat a Megadeus. (And vice versa, but come on, it's 9-Ball)
I will concur that in many aspects it would come down to the pilot. Being said the Negotiator piloting the Big O would beat Hustler One piloting 9-Ball. And of course I'm not saying 9-Ball isn't friggin kick-ass, just saying not kick-ass enough.

Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Post by Jericho Veronus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Though I guess 9-Ball wins the poll though since he's really the only one with more than one vote, haha.

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:11 pm

Mmm Anubis.
ZOE 2.
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:57 am

Anubis would kick some ass too, although I always liked Nephtis a lot more. That ring was mmmm.

vesuvan
Revenent of the Replies

Post by vesuvan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:44 pm

I come back with a challenger powerful enough to compare to Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

http://games.adultswim.com/robot-unicor ... -game.html
͎̟͕͎̯̺͎̟͕͎̯̺ĩ̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠
̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠

Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Post by Jericho Veronus » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:44 am

Return to “Off Topic Forum”