TvTropes

Discuss anything and everything else you want to here.
Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

TvTropes

Post by Deschain » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:29 am

Has anyone here consumed Tv Tropes?
For those unfamiliar TvTropes is bascially a collection of various urban phrases that are used to explain certain aspects of various Anime, cartoons, movies, games etc. Texts are half-witty and sarcastic and half serious. But the best part it is all (mostly true). So type in your favorite movie or game or whatever and see what various Tropes it contains.

For example:
Warhammer 40 k
Warhammer 40,000, known informally as "Warhammer 40k" or just plain "40k", is a miniatures-based tabletop strategy game by Games Workshop. Drawing heavily on their previous Warhammer Fantasy game, it began as "Warhammer In Space", but has over time grown distinct from (and far more popular than) its fantasy counterpart.

Thirty-eight thousand years in the future, the mighty Imperium of Man has spread across the galaxy, to discover that the galaxy is a hell that would make Hieronymous Bosch shit himself in terror, and that it has a hell. From without, the Imperium is assailed by alien monsters from the depths of space, nightmare death-machines and soulless daemons; from within, treachery, heresy, mindless incompetence and the festering taint of Chaos threaten to tear it apart.

Warhammer 40,000 is not a happy place. Rather than just being Darker And Edgier, it paints itself black and hurls itself over the edge. It's as Dark and Edgy as the event horizon of a respectably sized black hole! The Imperium of Man is an oppressive, stark, and downright miserable place to live in where, for far too many people, living isn't something to do until you die, but something to do until something comes around and kills you in an unbelievably horrible way - quite probably someone on your own side. The Messiah has been locked up on life support for the past ten millennia, laid low by his most beloved son, and an incomprehensibly vast Church Militant commits hourly atrocities in his name.
For those that haven't tried here is a list of my favorite ones.
Evil Overlord List
Epileptic Trees
Rule Of Cool
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Black_Heart
Holder of the Alt-F4

Re: TvTropes

Post by Black_Heart » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Yeah, I browse through them occasionally while I'm bored. Some of the articles are excellent for a laugh, as are their titles. One of my favorite things to do is just browse the names of the tropes.
Image Image Image Image

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:19 pm

Black_Heart wrote:Yeah, I browse through them occasionally while I'm bored. Some of the articles are excellent for a laugh, as are their titles. One of my favorite things to do is just browse the names of the tropes.
Oh yeah. I love the amalgam of tropes humor and reality. It is brilliant IMHO. God yeah. Browsing random tropes is just damn fun.
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Psiclone
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete
Location: As you can see from my avatar, I'm currently on the run from a--OH MY GOD!

Post by Psiclone » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:32 pm

Sounds very similar to Uncyclopedia.
Intellectuals are like the Mafia; they only kill their own.
-Woody Allen -
ImageImageImageImageImage

Kurogamon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Kurogamon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:16 pm

Uncyclopedia's just silly, as in wtf omg silly. This is dry and sarcastic.
Can you hear them?

andriejj
Keeper of the Keys

Post by andriejj » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:22 pm

Kurogamon wrote:Uncyclopedia's just silly, as in wtf omg silly. This is dry and sarcastic.
They're more flaming, than being humourous. Uncyclopedia is weeeeeeeeeeeeeeak compared to Polish nonsensopedia.

Kurogamon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Kurogamon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:02 pm

How about Encyclopedia Dramatica? You can't ever call that weak, although parts of it are just...
Can you hear them?

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:38 pm

ED is like a newfag's guide to the internet, and more specifically a certain other site I will not speak of as rules bind me from saying it's name. It's has no place existing.

Kurogamon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Kurogamon » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:30 pm

The partyvan?

(Who gives a damn about their rules.)

EDIT: Oh, yes, the ch*ns. I told you in my intro thread..
Can you hear them?

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:42 pm

I hadn't posted in your intro thread and I didn't see anything about those paricular..places..

Anyway, back on topic. I particularly enjoy the "Insurmountable Waist High Fence" and it's variants, having experienced it many times.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”