User Preference Survey

Discuss anything and everything else you want to here.
erwtenpeller
Revenent of the Replies

User Preference Survey

Post by erwtenpeller » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:16 pm

For a school project i have to research the needs and requirements of several specific target audiences that might come and visit the portfolio site i have to make for the project. One of these audiences, i think i can safely say, is "forum scum".

Now if you would all just copy the questions below and awnser them, you'd be doing me a great favor :)

Name?
a/s/l?
What is your current occupation?
What are your hobbies?

What do you expect to find on a portfolio website?
What information do you want to get out of a portfolio website?
When and why would you return to a previously visited site?
Could you give an example of a website wich you consider to be good, and explain why it is a good website?
Could you give examples of charactristics and/or features a website could have that please and/or annoy you?
Whats the first thing you look at when you visit a new site?
If you where to create a website to convey your persona and/or work, what would you most prominently display?

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Re: User Preference Survey

Post by Loki » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:07 pm

FORUM SCUM? HAO DAR U. Lol
So anyone can answer this right?
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:32 pm

Mike Byron
17/male/canada
Forum browsing (duh, forum scum); studies
Gaming, sports, studying, mast

Likely images and texts... I suppose.
Likely stuff that I'm interested into, aka, science, music, or very rarely, art
I would return if it was updated vigorously ( every day, or even, more than once a day ) and obviously if I appreciated the stuff that's on it
I can give you an example of a horrible website, and that website is www.worldofwarcraft.com; you're assaulted by too much f*cking color, ads, terrible art, and wayy too much information
I like a clear index / map button that's obviously well placed. Nothing should be left to random
Well, I don't usually randomly look at websites. Realize that I doubt anyone goes around saying "HEY! LETS CHECK OUT RANDOM WEBSITES!" period. I'll likely be looking for information that, er, I'm looking for!
My best work? hahaha. Perhaps evolution of a current project ( say you're drawing something, you could show the progress, that could apply to pretty much anything created, anyhow, I find this rather interesting

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:56 pm

Nicholas de Faria
13/Male/Toms River, New Jersey
School, gaming, forum browsing, 4chan trolling.
Gaming, reading, forum browsing.

Maybe a showcase of artwork, literature, skills, a resume, etc.
A measure of adeptness at a certain skill, what skills a person might have, talent, creativity, style.
I would return to a site if it had a decent look to it, provided useful information by people who know what they are doing, and in such a way that is not condescending or annoying. If a website had that, I would visit it several times a day if it were frequently updated.
LifeHacker.com, and the other blogs run by Gawker. I find it good because it is run by professionals who know what they're are doing, and give useful advice, which could be related to anything even though it is mainly a tech blog.
Some that annoy me are flashing ads that may also have sound in them, for example, "shoot ten ducks and get a free iPod," another is cluttered pages. A websites design can be cluttered as long as it doesn't LOOK cluttered, like making a pleasing theme or displaying the info in such a way that doesn't bring much focus to said aspect of the site. An example of a site that would annoy the crap out of me is something like: http://www.torrentz.com/ The information is just displayed annoyingly, like when your first enter the site the most popular searches are RIGHT THERE in front of your face. The color scheme is also very annoying.
The information it displays, and whether or not it has some type of forum.
Gaming videos, most likely.

erwtenpeller
Revenent of the Replies

Post by erwtenpeller » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:11 pm

Thank you two for filling this out, the information will be used well. No further entries are required, this thread may be closed.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”