DoE Hero Guide Section

If there's a certain feature you'd like to see, or have a mod you think would be useful, post it here.
Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

DoE Hero Guide Section

Post by Oxygen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:21 pm

Yeah so, recently, someone made a comment during a game in the lines of ''is there any documentation about this game?'' I told myself : Well hey, I made great hero guides for AoM, why not give it a try for DoE?

So thing is, I'd like to see a section for hero guides appear somewhere in the doe forums, that would incitate people to write guides and share strategies etc etc.

VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Re: DoE Hero Guide Section

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:30 pm

I'm no admin or anything but it strikes me that you should just write a hero guide or two and if those are worth it, the section may very well be made without you requesting.

If you write it, they will come, eh?

Intoxicated Crayon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Intoxicated Crayon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:51 pm

That Sounds Cool :D
English should not be a prerequisite for intelligence,

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:08 pm

Sozen guide, by Oxygen. ( subject to change, due to 1.09 )

1.The hero
2.Skills
3.Items
4.Strategies
5.Notes

1 - The hero

Sozen is an agility based melee hero that specializes into hero stalking. One notable thing about him is that he only has 100 health, but uses a passive, innate and permanent mana shield to make up for this. This also allows him to become the Order's hero with the most health! Obviously, this is too good to be real, as Sozen also uses this ''health'' ( mana ) to use his skills, but can also replenish it with some other skills.

Oxy's hero scale for Sozen - 5 being very good, and 1 being very bad.

Hero killing - 5
Creep killing - 2
Siege - 1
Support - 3 ( Here, support means the possiblity to easily hinder, distract an enemy hero or help an allied hero. Here, Sozen's massive damage imput surely is amazing, but his lack of holding abilities do not really make him a #1 choice to be teaming with. Also known as, He can solo heroes on his own, but does it just fine on a team too, without needing them absolutely. )

What does this mean? You'll be running around the map, looking for heroes to kill or teamnates to assist. Sozen is especially good at doing this, as Mirage grants an amazing boost of speed.

2 - Skills

Two of Sozen's skills cost mana to use, while the two others help him replenish it. His innate skill is a passive, permanent mana shield that will damage his health if his mana drops below zero.

Mirage - Grants Sozen an amazing boost of speed, evasion, bonus damage and bleeding on his next attack. At the cost of a flat mana loss, and ruining himself for the duration.

So. Mirage is primarily used for the bonus damage and bleed that it'll cause on a target. The average player might just cast this, run at his target and mindlessly hit it. This is the thing to do, most of the time anyways, but there are cases where you'll actually WANT to keep the movement speed bonus and evasion. Attacking a hero surrounded by creeps, for instance, where you'll want to get close to the hero and activate Discharge, while keeping the evasion bonus in order to avoid getting hit by creeps. ( Full explanations on discharge will be coming further ). Another way of using it is against a fleeing hero, where you wish to keep it on for the movement speed bonus, to keep up with the hero, but activate Discharge in order to damage it. Ultimately, you'll want to hit a hero at the last second in order to ''use'' the bonus damage that it grants. Another trick with mirage is to stay in the fog, close to an enemy hero, activate it, but wait a few seconds, such that it'll start cooling down. After 3-4 seconds on so, you'll rush at the enemy hero, striking for bonus damage, and another Mirage will almost instantly be up by the time, allowing you to gain another strike of bonus damage.

Resolve - Every attacks that Sozen will make will leech from 5 to 25 mana, 5 being the lowest level and 25 being the highest, and this mana leeched will deal damage equal to the ammount on the target. Only works on targets with mana. The ammount leeched, and thus the ammount of damage dealt, doubles against a target with a condition.

This is pretty much a filler passive skill, BUT, its still an amazing one. It allows you to take GREAT advantage of Mirage's bleed, not only refreshing your own health but dealing extremely high damage per hit, and also depleting a target's mana. Can be used against Priest type and Warlock type creeps, as they are the only creeps with mana.

Recharge - Allows Sozen to regain some mana by simply clicking the skill. Will automatically use itself if Sozen's mana falls under 100.

Not so much to say about this one, except that it'll interrupt your last order if it uses itself automatically from falling under 100 mana. It has a rather high cooldown, so you might wish to use it whenever you're around 600 mana or even 1000 or so, such that it'll be refreshed once you fall low again.

Discharge - Sozen's naughty skills. Indeed, Sozen discharges a high ammount of his mana per seconds ( somewhere around 56 ) in order to deal 60/80/100 (!!!) damage per seconds to nearby units. Can be activated and desactivated at will.

Needless to say that this will be your ultimate killing skill. With a chubby 300-350-or-so area of effect, it'll be possible to chase a hero by using this. The beautiful thing about this is, well, you're able to use it while using Mirage, allowing you to stick to a hero like... like... something that sticks hard to a hero. But you see what I mean, with mirage on you'll be able to discharge all over someone without him being able to do anything about it. If you're going to attack someone in a bunch of creeps, you can keep mirage on such that the evasion will protect you. You can also kill creeps using this method, although this isn't really recommended unless very urgent, as discharge REALLY drains your energy, and fast. Also hits invisible.

2.1- Skillset

First skillset

1.Mirage1
2.Recharge1
3.Mirage2
4.Recharge2
5.Mirage3
6.Discharge1
7.Mirage4
8.Recharge3
9.Mirage5
10.Recharge4
11.Recharge5
12.Discharge2
13.Resolve1
14.Resolve2
15.Resolve3
16.Resolve4
17.Resolve5
18.Discharge3

This build allows for maximum usage of the damage, speed and evasion from Mirage, and the survival possibilities of Recharge until you get enough mana and are safer to land hits with Resolve.

Second skill build ( thanks to 2p )

1. Mirage1
2. Resolve1
3. Mirage2
4. Resolve2
5. Mirage3
6. Discharge1
7. Resolve3
8. Resolve4
9. Resolve5
10. Recharge1
11. Recharge2
12. Discharge2
13. Recharge3
14. Recharge4
15. Recharge5
16. Mirage4
17. Mirage5
18. Discharge

This build stresses on leveling mirage to a decent speed bonus level, but relies on attacking your enemy rather than harassing with mirage.

3 - Items

First skill build

Well, since Sozen has a high innate movement speed bonus, and a speed spell with a low cooldown, he's one of the only character that does not require boots! Which leaves you plenty of space...

At the start: Fill yourself with mana potions.

Midgame: Start getting pendants of mana (+50 mana) at 200g from the merchant, and blackice scarabs (+100 mana, reduce ruin duration, good for mirage ) for 200g & 3 factions from the panda, assuming that you have the kills. Keeping a potion is always handy.

Lategame: You ''should'' have 4-5 blackice scarabs, ( most of the time, I have 5 by level 15 ) and should start saving for a Crystaline Band. Blinking around is amazing for Sozen, as you can blink-discharge-mirage an unsuspecting target, etc. Once you have a band, remplace a scarab with a crown, according that you have enough factions. Additional crowns will make you lose 25 mana, but grant you 100 extra health, some damage and some armor. You could also get a blind cape instead of a scarab, and while I don't know the exact name, I know that it grants you 15% evasion, and coupled with mirage, it brings you to some cheesy number.

Second skill build

Since this build will leave you with a lower level mirage, but gain much bonus from attacking an enemy, the items I would be getting are two pair of boots ( in order to keep hitting on your target ), as well as charms of alacrity ( +10% attack speed ) as well as bloodstained gauntlets ( +20% attack speed ). A flat damage bonus isn't necessary, as Sozen gains a flat damage bonus from his Resolve. So the more hits you'll get off, the more mana you'll leech, and the more damage you'll burn.

4 - Strategies

Maltheron - Stay away until nerfed. No comments.

Skittle - He's actually very easy for Sozen. His low health imput will never be able to soak more damage than you will be able to do with discharge on. In addition, his attacks will miss against you with mirage on, avoiding the annoying cripple. If he burrows, just activate discharge, staying away from the place where he burrowed. Discharge has a larger aoe than unburrow spikes.

Vertejaune - Easy. Has low health, low movement speed, no stun spell if you're smart enough. Just activate mirage, and run around him with Discharge on. He won't be able to stun you if you don't hit him and get blinded. So just run around, and eventually give a final blow with mirage. But avoid hitting him, a blind could really mean death, as abolish will stun you. Its possible to avoid abolish literally, though, by moving into an unsuspected direction at some point. If he's channeling his ultimate, use mirage once again, and stay next to him. His controlled creeps will miss their attacks, and he'll be taking high damage.

Tornne - He's alright. You can expect where he'll be using taint most of the time ( directly on you, if you're hitting him ) so move around randomly and abruptly. Just use discharge, and he can't do much if you run around him, as no taints will get off.

Atrius - Very easy. His weak hp output will not allow him to survive more than one mirage hit and 2-3 seconds of discharge. If you see an atrius, charge him and activate discharge. There's really not much he can do. If you're blinded, just keep discharge on, and it'll hit him within the cloud. Even if he's hitting you, and you're losing mana to discharge, you'll still kill him.

Exuro - Can be though, if the player is half smart. Really, Sozen is meat when I'm exuro. I haven't faught any good, so I'll use my point of view as Exuro. Basically, I wait for him to rush me, blink backwards and if I see discharge on, I'll sin of wrath him. If sin of wrath goes off on a discharging sozen, he'll take about 1k damage, if not more, and I'm not kidding. Add in gluttonry, and you have a dead sozen. Really, only get exuro if you KNOW that his wrath is gone, and try coming swiftly from behind or a mountain range or whatever.

Genobee - Harass the guy, he's so slow that he can't do much about it. By harass I mean, hit and run with mirages, and once he's at about half hp, just discharge / mirage him. And if he ults, back off and wait. Once its over, head there and smack. Spikes are easily avoidable with mirage.

Rikter - Average. He has lower health than you, but can really hinder you, and that spell is edge of desolation. But he can't hit you with mirage on, and warcraft allows critical strikes to be dodged. So whee, keep mirage on and discharge, moving randomly around, making it impossible for anything but a defensive edge of desolation to be used.

Caliga - Average to very hard. A good caliga will be your bane. I haven't played against any good ones, though, so I'll talk using my own experience as caliga. I usually taunt sozen into using discharge by going ethereal, and then silence him + slap haunt. This does about 100 damage per seconds to sozen, for a total of perhaps 900+/-. Do not fight caliga if you don't have mirage on, because tombreaver + ghosts WILL out damage discharge. Seal also prevents your passive, further mirage uses as well as recharge from being used. I really don't know how to fight caliga, your best bet would be hit and runs but he's harsh.

Glasse - Fairly averagely easy. Can blind you, but has no defense against discharge, and most of them like massing armor, which is not a problem with discharge. Smart ones will keep you blinded, preventing any mirage hits, but if his blind is wasted on another player creep or whatever, go for it, and the kill is yours.

Anick - Average. Doesn't have mana, so your hits will be significantly weaker against him. But you can also dodge HIS hits, literally ruining any of his damage options. But he can run. Mirage-discharge is good, because as I said, he can't hit you, but you can hit him with discharge. He'll be stuck with a cowardly backwards hunter of the night. Oh well. If you can get a good mirage strike right before he runs, bleed might get him-!

Vela - Cocky. You can't really kill vela, as she'll simply prison you and run. But, the easy way to counter prison is to activate Discharge, and keep it on such that it'll break the prison. Also use mirage, but don't attack the prison, you need mirage to stay alive, with the evasion bonus, and to run out as quickly as possible. If her prison is down, it's an extremely strait forward fight. Mirage, discharge. She usually has several pair of boots, so you might want to keep mirage online to keep up with her running and transversal + jumping around.

5 - Notes

Getting a level 1 mirage off a target early in the game is an easy 250 damage over 20 seconds, which isn't too shabby. The guide is subject to changes with the upcoming patch. Hope you enjoyed, will be more refined once I get on my real computer, this one doesn't show colors, and I can't upload replays and pictures.
Last edited by Oxygen on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kings_Mercy
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Kings_Mercy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:01 am

Meh this would detract from the fun of playing a new game for me. Its like haveing a cheatsheet telling you exactly what to do next. Half the fun of playing is learning what skills do, what items to get to enhance them, and creating your own build. This way tells you what to do "in your oppinion" and will pretty much set them into the mindset this is the absolute best way.

2-P
Revenent of the Replies

Post by 2-P » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:40 am

I agree with king.
It's not a bad idea and it can really help new players that have problems with the hero. But guides tend to be very... limiting.
DoE heroes don't have 3 passives and stormbolt. =P They can be played in different ways. Decisions are very situational.

Sozen's passive is called Resolve. The stolen mana is doubled when enemies suffer from any condition, not only bleed. And I don't think that it also burns the mana.
You call it a filler, for me it has become the most important ability lately. It's the first one I have on level 5.
Humans don't have the patience to wait even ten minutes for something!

vesuvan
Revenent of the Replies

Post by vesuvan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:20 am

I'm all for having guides to help players that are confused by some heroes, but the way you did it is more fitted for other maps than DoE. Telling players to go a specific item build is a little limiting, a list of good items for the hero would be better. Keep in mind that version 1.09 is changing the items to be more versatile and less static, at which point, the idea of an item "build" in lieu of a more comprehensive strategy becomes less useful still.

The guides would also be great for obscure information like what spells can hit burrowed skittel, or questions about other spells that might have confusing possibilities.
͎̟͕͎̯̺͎̟͕͎̯̺ĩ̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠
̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:55 pm

vesuvan wrote:I'm all for having guides to help players that are confused by some heroes, but the way you did it is more fitted for other maps than DoE. Telling players to go a specific item build is a little limiting, a list of good items for the hero would be better. Keep in mind that version 1.09 is changing the items to be more versatile and less static, at which point, the idea of an item "build" in lieu of a more comprehensive strategy becomes less useful still.

The guides would also be great for obscure information like what spells can hit burrowed skittel, or questions about other spells that might have confusing possibilities.
It's OXY's guide to sozen, and the items that OXY thinks that sozen should be getting are blackice scarabs. Obviously, you can comment and say '' I'd rather get attack speed, for inscreased effectiveness from Resolve. Well guess what, that's welcome.

I know about 1.09 coming out, and this is why I made the guide subject to change.

2-P wrote:I agree with king.
It's not a bad idea and it can really help new players that have problems with the hero. But guides tend to be very... limiting.
DoE heroes don't have 3 passives and stormbolt. =P They can be played in different ways. Decisions are very situational.

Sozen's passive is called Resolve. The stolen mana is doubled when enemies suffer from any condition, not only bleed. And I don't think that it also burns the mana.
You call it a filler, for me it has become the most important ability lately. It's the first one I have on level 5.
Guides are limiting because it describes the way the player plays. You have a different gameplay, then go ahead and add a comment to it! That's simply the most effective playstyle that I've come up with. You like hitting alot with sozen. But I like using mirage as a defensive move, keeping it up, which means less hits. Which is the most effective? I can't tell. But that's OXY's guide to sozen, not 2p's. And Oxy's guide suggests that you play around with mirage alot. You've seen me play sozen, both you and king. I'm sure it wasn't shabby at all.

Kings_Mercy wrote:Meh this would detract from the fun of playing a new game for me. Its like haveing a cheatsheet telling you exactly what to do next. Half the fun of playing is learning what skills do, what items to get to enhance them, and creating your own build. This way tells you what to do "in your oppinion" and will pretty much set them into the mindset this is the absolute best way.
Its called a GUIDE for a reason. Its there to guide you. Obviously that there are plenty of ways of playing a character, but that's the way I've found the most effective. Don't do it if you don't want to, or modify things. Its up to you.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:46 pm

Me wantee try....

Caliga.

1. Hero.
Caliga - Council member blade is one of the most diverse heroes in game.
He is a Strength hero that is focused towards hero killing. However his abilities allow him to assume many different roles. He obviously isn't the best tank Bane can have but nevertheless he can take huge amounts of punishment.
Using Oxy grade system:
Hero Killing - 5 (he excels at hunting down and slaugthering heroes)
Siege - 4 (using tombreaver on building is ok but without some items I wouldn't recommend it)
Creep Killing - 3.5 (he can kill lots of creeps but this isn't his thing)
Support - 4 (oblivion seal can shut down any enemy while Haunt will deal a great deal of damage)

2. Abilities suggestion.
Ok so lets see his spells.
His first skill is Haunt. Haunt can be cast on any ground unit (yourself, enemy or allied). It will create a whirl of ghost to strike the target weakening it severely. Secondly you could cast it on an ally to give him some extra AoE damage. I ussually max this first before anything else.

His second skill is Oblivion Seal. Oblivion seal is a rather potent shutdown. It not only mutes the enemy but it also ruins it dealing even more damage and makes funny red numbers when you strike enemy unit with it. Great for offensive as well as defensive.
NOTE: Oblivion seal could increase the output of the Haunt but I'm unsure whether this is true so I will omit it. If anyone knows please answer this.

His third skill is Unseen Horror. It causes steady mana degeneration but makes you ethereal and grants extra movement speed. Ethereal is a great way to escape towers and most units while movement speed is great for either retreating or hunting. What makes Unseen Horror even greater is that it will not auto deactivate when you run of of mana.
However not all is great. If you are hit by enemy spells you will suffer much more damage so unless you are sure you can evade anything your enemy throws at you don't use Unseen Horror.
TIPS: What I like to do when I'm alone in a lane is to activate unseen horror and put haunt on myself. That way I can regen while damaging enemy creeps safe from catapults and other creeps. However do eliminate the priest/sorceress since their magic attack can be annoying. Hell I even bring double potions to heal mana while Unseen horror is active. If you can dodge your enemies you can even do this even when they are in the lane.

His ultimate skill is the Tombreaver. His ultimate allows him to attack multiple times in one attack at the expense of his hp. With this you can overpower any unit unless you are suffering from maim or blind (reduced attack speed or miss chance will make your Tombreaver be activated less meaning your not getting your moneys worth). Tombreaver activates on attack so it is excelent against buildings as well.
NOTE: Damage done to you is increased while under effect of Unseen horror. Don't forget to TURN OFF Tomb Reaver when going into Unseen Horror.

My prefered build:
Max out Haunt and Unseen Horror and maybe get only one level of Oblivion Seal (just in case some caster comes). Also Tombreaver is a must.

Usually stalk heroes with Unseen horrors and occasionally kill creeps just for some extra gold and for the hell of it.

3. Item suggestion.
He is Strength so he obviously likes Rings of Might. You can even buy faction boosting strength items for extra damage and improved hp and hp regeneration abilities. However if you are looking for sheer killing power my suggestion is going for the extra attack damage (Rikters, Blades). Optionally you could even go for extra attack speed (makes toombreaver activate more often).

Usually I start with attacker items, mana regen rings and double mana pots. Good thing about mana pots is that they negate Unseen horror mana degeneration. Bad thing is that they end if someone hits you with a spell.
Once I get few kills I usually go for the Heart of Rendabi to increase ruin duration and more importantly to give me that tasty damaging ring.
After that I collect Urns of Still Voices. Not only do they give a boost to my Oblivion Seal but also they give me extra mp. With 3 Urn of Still Voices it takes about 2min to get back from 0 to half of your max mana without using your mana potions.
From than on I collect factions for the Sanctuary. I take sanctuary not only due to its condition reduction but for more importantly its hp regeneration. The hp regeneration of a single Sanctuary is enough to make my Tombreaver permanent (unless I'm under effect of Unseen Horror for that you need two sanctuaries ;) ).
So basically I end with 3 Urns, 1Heart, 1Sanctuary and 1Mana potion (with 2 charges).

I'll continue this later... suggestions and comments are welcome...
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:13 pm

Caliga

Hero Killing - 5
Siege - 2
Creep Killing - 2
Support - 3

Caliga can be a sieger, bug he definitely needs the support of at least one hero or several creeps, and by sieging, you'll find yourself more than likely damaged. You'd much better stay behind and actually attempt to hinder enemy heroes. This is why I'd put a two over there.

As for support, Caliga can sure help anyone, but does not necessarly NEED it. He can have it. But its fine if he doesn't. He's an alright choice to be teaming with, but there are better out there, like Vela, Aurea, VIctor, etc. And these heroes would be awarded 5's. Caliga's role is obviously not creep killing, but he can do it when need is, at the cost of his long cooldown Haunt. Hence the 2.

Also, I think that's it's worth looking more deeply into haunt. Yes, it's a point and click. But there's a certain time and way and position when using it, trust me. So much about oblivion too. But you'll see when I write about it, though. And I will soon, I'm planning to make a guide for every heroes, its good for ideas though and keep it up

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:01 pm

Caliga guide, by Oxygen. ( subject to change, due to 1.09 )

1.The hero
2.Skills
3.Items
4.Strategies
5.Notes

1 - The hero

Caliga is a strength based melee hero, specialized into disabling, harassing and and inflicting monstrous amount of damage to single targets.

Oxy's hero scale for Caliga - 5 being very good, and 1 being very bad.

Hero killing - 5
Creep killing - 2
Siege - 2
Support - 3

What does this mean? You'll be running around the map, looking for heroes to kill or teammates to assist. Caliga is especially good at doing this, as Unseen Horror grants an amazing boost of speed.

2 – Skills

Caliga's skills are built around harassing and dealing extreme amounts of burst damage at melee range against a helpless single target. He has two purely offensive skills, one defensive skill, and one support / disable skill. They do not require aiming, but instead, require very good timing in order to interact with each other and being used at the maximum of their effectiveness.

Haunt – Selected target is surrounded by ghosts, which cannot killed, and which do high damage to that target over 10 seconds. They also damage the surroundings of this target. If casted on a friendly target, it will not damage it, but they will still damage enemy units around the said target.

Bread and butter skill of Caliga. I know, it is a point and click, but believe it or not, there is SO much about using this skill. First of all, you need to know that the ghosts will not instantly reach their target – meaning that you could be losing several seconds of effectiveness, or totally waste the spell if the target runs backwards as you cast it. This being said, try to be as close as possible to your target, or make sure that he's not moving in the wrong direction. Obviously, you can always cast this on someone attacking you, as you know he will not run. A thing notable about this spell, is that if someone runs into the fog of war, the ghosts will literally stop chasing the target, but will also cause caliga to be repeatedly stunned every few (!!!!) this is why you need to be extremely careful when using the spell close to fogged areas. Generally, you want to use this on a hero whenever the cooldown is back up. The target to chose with this is usually the one with the lowest hp, the lowest movement speed or no potions or healing spells. A full hp victor with a potion and 4 booties of speed would be a bad target, as a low hp aurea with no potions would be a clean one. In addition, haunt will damage enemy target in its path as it reaches its selected target, so always place yourself in the path of creeps when casting it, they will get a few hits off on the creeps! Haunt is an amazing ganking tool, as you can come up from beside a hill, and cast it on a hero with lower hp to doom him. We're talking about 500 damage here, this isn't anything!

Oblivion Seal – Debuff a unit with DOOM!, ruining it and muting it for a set duration of time.

One notable thing about this spell, is that when Caliga will hit a unit under its effect, very pretty red numbers will appear all over the screen. Obviously, it's worth mentioning that this spell gives you great bonus damage against a target, and even more so when Tombreaver is active. The instant mute effect on this spell is extremely important, because not only will it allow you to rush directly to a caster and start smacking it, and without fear of disable or damage, but will also prevent potions from being used, which is very useful when chasing a target with Haunt on cooldown. I think that it is also worth mentioning that this is one of the only ranged muting effects ( the only one? ) that the bane has, and this makes caliga an extremely valuable hero against any matchup, for this ability to break down those nasty channeling spells which every single damn order hero tend to have--! To use this with maximum effectiveness, try to come from behind a hero, put on seal, and start smacking on it. If it runs in the opposed direction, it'll be facing creeps, and if it runs towards his base, which is the direction you came from, you'll be able to get off multiple strikes at it. Seal can also be used to save teammates that are about to die from a spell, and it's usually easy to predict when a spell will be cast against a dieing target.

Unseen Horror – This skills allows caliga to turn ethereal, turning off his attack, making him unattainable by any non-magic or spell attacks, which will deal 66% bonus damage to him. Also grant a flat bonus of speed. Can be turned on and off whenever, costing no additional mana. It only degenerates you when it's active.

Caliga's defensive spell, allowing him to escape from pretty much any hero unable to cast a ranged spell. Unseen Horror is amazing not only to run around then map extremely quickly, at an affordable mana cost 50-80ish for the whole map, at last level, but also does it allow him to catch pretty much anybody. The trick with Unseen Horror is to run in front of a fleeing hero, deactivate it, and give it a few smacks that might finish him off. If you have to kill a horde of creeps, activate this, and put Haunt on yourself. It'll damage all nearby creeps, while protecting you from their attacks. I believe that it also improves the health gained from Glasse and Maltheron's healing spells, although this may require a checkup.

Tombreaver – When activated, allows caliga's attack to hit the same target multiple times, at 50% his normal damage. At the last level, it hits a target 3 additonal times, for a total of 150% bonus damage whenever you attack someone. Drains life as long as it is activated.

This spell, ladies and gentlemen, is the highest single target dps spell in the game. Coupled with oblivion seal, it enables you to take out heroes that are even under the healing effect of the fountains in no more than 10 seconds. There is no trick to it, activate it whenever you find yourself attacking somebody, and let the damage bonus do its job. It obviously synergises very well with oblivion seal, as it gives bonus damage on every attacks you make. While it is an extremely powerful spell, do not base your game play around it. Focus on casting smart haunts and oblivion seals, and only attack when you have a good chance or a need to do so. Don't rush blindly in hope to terminate your targets, because the average nuts will simply run. Start off by harassing with haunt, and when health is low enough, use unseen horror to quickly close in, cast oblivion, and smack at your target as much as possible. Coming from behind a hill works best, as it allows you to get multiple strikes off.

2.1- Skillset

1.Haunt1
2.Oblivion Seal1
3.Haunt2
4.Unseen Horror1
5.Haunt3
6.Tombreaver1
7.Haunt4
8.Oblivion Seal2
9.Haunt5
10.Oblivion Seal3
11.Oblivion Seal4
12.Tombreaver2
13.Oblivion Seal5
14.Unseen Horror2
15.Unseen Horror3
16.Unseen Horror4
17.Unseen Horror5
18.Tombreaver3

This build allows you to gain a balanced usage of Haunt, oblivion seal and tombreaver as early as possible, while giving you a point into unseen horror to escape.

3 - Items

Caliga has a pretty high basic movement speed. His abilities benefit the most from +damage until reaching the 100 base damage cap, at which he benefits from attack speed at a much greater rate.

Starting: Grab 1 pair of boots, 3 healing potions and 1 mana potion.

Start-mid game: 3 pair of boots, grab an Hear of Rendabi for 3 faction ( +ruin duration, 10dps immolation permanent ) and Urn of Still Voices as soon as possible for 3 factions ( inscreases duration of mute ) and keep a healing potion in a slot. Caliga, I find, and if you manage your mana, with an urn of still voice (20% mana regen ) will never need to use a single mana potion, except at the start of the game when spamming Haunt.

Mid game: If you have the faction, fill your last consumable slot with a Rikter's. You should have 3 boots, 1 rikter, 1 urn, 1 heart. You are at your deadliest, especially when level 2 tombreaver comes in play.

End game: Might want to remplace boots with Bloodstained Gauntlets, as the bonus attack speed is incredibly strong on caliga, and will allow you to take towers out rather easily.

4 - Strategies

Innert – Easy. You might think that he's hard because he can become immune to mute, but actually, he can't do that if you get oblivion seal off before he does with blank. And should he get blank, well, just cast haunt and wait. I don't suggest attacking him without oblivion seal, as you'll be stuck running because of schism or spirit burns anyways. If you see a spirit, quickly go behind it, kill it, and instantly silence innert, haunt, start smacking. It works extremely well against unprecautions players, which is to say, almost anyone.

Ztera and Zuma – Easy. If she's sending Zuma on you, you could as well kill it. Haunt does good damage to it, and with seal on, he won't be able to paw-smack you. If zuma is going to hit you while he's NOT muted, then quickly hit E and turn ethereal, this will cause his action to reset, and perhaps waste the stun on a nearby creep. If you manage to kill zuma, it's likely that Ztera will run backwards in hopes to revive him. This is where you follow her with unseen horror.

Sozen – Easy. If he comes to you with mirage on, just use unseen horror. If he uses discharge, quickly mute him and start smacking on him with tombreaver and haunt. He'll die faster than you will, trust me.

Arro – Easy. If you can come from behind, haunt him, seal him and give him a few hits with tombreaver online, he really won't last long. Really, this is the most straitforward hero to fight. If he's using geddon, seal him. Not much to it.

Kassar – Easy. If he heads towards you, with Gale on, just seal him, haunt him and start smacking on it with tombreaver on. Really, a muted kassar cannot do anything but let himself die against caliga.

Glyphe – Easy. You can usually mute him before he gets axes off, assuming that you're quick enough. And its the same deal, haunt and smack. If he gets his spinning axes, you might wish to stay away though, as you won't be able to take him out like this. Unseen Horror is great for evading axes, but be careful, as lightning will do bonus damage against you.

Rose – Cocky. She can escape haunt, easily hit you while ethereal for bonus damage. Really, a good rose will never die to caliga, unless you can time a perfect gank on her, from behind a cliffrange or so. You want to let her push far though, such that you can get hits off. Its the same routine though, haunt, seal, tombreaver smack.

Janise – Cocky. She's basically immune to conditions, at least, smart janises are. If she uses gash, use unseen horror, and she won't be able to cripple you. If you wish to attack a janise, make sure that she'll be muted, or she can simply blink out or cash. It's good to send ghosts first, as they will detonate nearby wisps. Smart janise doesn't die to caliga though, if you're chasing an almost dead janise, make sure she's muted always, especially before haunting, because her blink will leave the ghosts behind.

Aurea – Easy. Very strait forward, if she's muted she can't do much at all except run in a strait line. Same as against Arro, try coming from behind, haunt, seal, tombreaver smack.

Victor – Easy. Same routine as everyone else, although you might wish to get close to him before doing so, even more so when you're ethereal, as I believe his heal will give you even more health. But once you closed in, mute him, haunt him, smack him. Use the unseen horror trick of going in front of your target.

Fahren – Medium. He's vulnerable to mute, just as everyone else, but if you're not careful, his high health and movement speed might surprise you, and a blaze-flicker isn't fun, especially when ethereal. Yes, I know, it's a lot of damage, and luckily enough, I didn't experience this yet. Haunt harass works good against fahren, just as against anyone else, but the thing is, with this guy, you can never really close up and smack him. So try coming from behind, and you might be lucky.

Stille – Medium. Be careful when using unseen horror, as wards can still hit you and will do bonus damage. Extinction ward can be painful if there are wards around stille, so you might as well wait a few seconds for them to blow up. Other than being careful about those, the routine's the same, Haunt, seal, smack.

5 - Notes

While playing Caliga is actually pretty easy, a good caliga will very often make a BIG difference in a game. A well placed mute, or a haunt on a distracted, perhaps saving a friend and who knows, taking out a base are all things that are easily done, and very profitable to caliga. Movement and position are the most important things to remember when playing caliga, as coming from a certain angle will allow you to get more strikes off on a target, and being at the right place at the right time to mute an ultimate is golden.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:24 am

A good hero explanation. As for the rating I meant how good is he not how much doing something will he go for. Thus different grades.

I think Caliga could really use Sanctuary instead of Rikter (damage is nice but extra condition is meh). Perma tomb reaver is win, though I use Unseen Horrors much more often so I need those mana thingies. Still your item build makes sense though wouldn't it be more profitable to just stack strength instead of life regen from heart?
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:26 am

I'm gonna let you know here and now I'm biased against Hero Guides.
It's opinion and circumstance on every occasion.
If you want me to move this to DoE forums, sure, but I don't think it requires its own section.
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:24 pm

hough wouldn't it be more profitable to just stack strength instead of life regen from heart?
He means Heart of Rendabi, not Petrified Heart.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:55 pm

Kaome Sky Deathand wrote:I'm gonna let you know here and now I'm biased against Hero Guides.
It's opinion and circumstance on every occasion.
If you want me to move this to DoE forums, sure, but I don't think it requires its own section.
Well, kaome, I'll be popping a guide every 2 or 3 days, so you might end up having the doe forums spammed after 2-3 weeks. And that's if other people don't make guides. I've got an exuro guide coming already, only strategies are to be completed ( they're half done ) and so, that'd be 3 hero guides already. Up to you though

Return to “Forum Suggestions”