Thread Revival

If there's a certain feature you'd like to see, or have a mod you think would be useful, post it here.
SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Thread Revival

Post by SetaSoujirou » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:19 pm

There should be some rule about reviving threads here. Perhaps locking or simply leaving it after X amount of weeks.
-Discuss-
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Re: Thread Revival

Post by Hydrolisk » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:48 pm

If there is an option, enable auto-thread closure after something like 2 months, or 1 month.

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:59 am

No, that would be silly.
People don't even read the time tags when they post when they threadomance.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:20 am

There is a rule, and that is why moderators exist.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Cecil
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Cecil » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:47 pm

The 'Threadomancy' argument is complete bs.

There is no reason to make new thread about something when there is already one up of the same point.
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

shalnath
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by shalnath » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:15 pm

Cecil's right. I don't know why you guys get so frustrated over it.
"Within every world, there are cultures, within every culture, there are groups, within every group, there are leaders. These leaders are not truly chosen, they are destined, it is their fate to lead, and it is this fate that drives them. Souls yearn to be driven, they in themselves can not direct, however, these leaders are predetermined, by whatever means, to guide the wills and mend the errors of these wandering souls. A forest, cold, cured, flawless, meticulous, and fearful, what drives it, what keeps the balance? The inner beings of all the co-existant creatures swarm together, and every one is guided by another, in more a cycle, then a hierarchy. The eyes of a forest are always watching and guiding, yet the sun never sets on the forest, and it never shall." ~ The Chaos Theory

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:40 pm

It's not like threadomancy dramatically impacts forum use...honestly guys.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:58 pm

If you do a quick look at the incidences of Threadomancy, you quickly start to see a pattern. Most posts hold little value, one being so needless as being just a post saying what their choice in a poll was, and the post was almost a month after all interest in the post died.

The biggest problem with threadomancy is that it's on the same tier as spamming, with short, meaningless posts that add nothing to the greater whole of the forum. And, even if one has something mildly meaningful to add, odds are everything important has already been said. Threads don't die due to cosmic coincidence, they die because the topic is truely done, and no one cares to continue beating a dead horse. Continuing the analogy, Threadomancy is like digging up the grave of that dead horse just to kick it again.

I feel it was a wise decision to try and prevent threadomancy, because 9 times out of 10, it's the absolute right thing to do, and in that rare 10th case, you can always just start a new thread with a new discussion/premise, if your post is that insightful. We've all been guilty of it at one time or another, but by stopping it when it happens, we make the forum as a whole a much nicer place, in my opinion.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:37 pm

TheDeathstalker wrote:If you do a quick look at the incidences of Threadomancy, you quickly start to see a pattern. Most posts hold little value, one being so needless as being just a post saying what their choice in a poll was, and the post was almost a month after all interest in the post died.

The biggest problem with threadomancy is that it's on the same tier as spamming, with short, meaningless posts that add nothing to the greater whole of the forum. And, even if one has something mildly meaningful to add, odds are everything important has already been said. Threads don't die due to cosmic coincidence, they die because the topic is truely done, and no one cares to continue beating a dead horse. Continuing the analogy, Threadomancy is like digging up the grave of that dead horse just to kick it again.

I feel it was a wise decision to try and prevent threadomancy, because 9 times out of 10, it's the absolute right thing to do, and in that rare 10th case, you can always just start a new thread with a new discussion/premise, if your post is that insightful. We've all been guilty of it at one time or another, but by stopping it when it happens, we make the forum as a whole a much nicer place, in my opinion.
'Nuff said. Threads die for a reason. And I don't know why you'd want to be welcomed to the forums a month later when you are either too active to care, or not active at all. *cough*
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Cecil
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Cecil » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:12 am

TheDeathstalker wrote:If you do a quick look at the incidences of Threadomancy, you quickly start to see a pattern. Most posts hold little value, one being so needless as being just a post saying what their choice in a poll was, and the post was almost a month after all interest in the post died.
This is a very specific situation--polls. I think it's obvious that you don't post in some survey-ish thing after a given time period. Only idiots would do this and at least here they're giving imput and not spam (still wrong, but it won't stop those people).

I had more imput but I g2g atm.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:36 pm

The thing is the threadomancy is going on way too much. For the past week, there have been what? 5-6 threads revivals? And the input is very meaningless. If you don't have the time to create a post, why make one in the first place.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Purple Drake
Noobite Warrior

Post by Purple Drake » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:17 am

I really don't think that threadomancy, necroposting, or whatever you call it, is something that should be completely banned. There are many cases in which someone just comes along an old topic and post something meaningful, and it helps bring back a good topic. I do understand that many topics can be answeared or finished, and there really isen't any need for any new posts, but even then, someone might just have an opinion to add, so it never hurts.
Besides, it it's a dumb, short post, then it's just spam like it would be in any other topic.

Wait a minute... Did i just revive a topic about thread revival?
I no longer use this profile to post anymore, so any PMs or replies to topics I've posted in directed at me, I may not read.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:28 am

While I do appreciate your presence proving my point (not only in this, but a couple other threads), I'd like to humbly remind you that you failed to add anything to this discussion. You know, the one that was completely finished November 4th? Please do us all a favor and leave finished threads as such. Truly important and meaningful posts will be greeted with open arms, but as we've all said before, threads die for a reason, and it takes a seriously meaningful and insightful post to validate waking the dead.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:02 am

Purple Drake wrote:I really don't think that threadomancy, necroposting, or whatever you call it, is something that should be completely banned. There are many cases in which someone just comes along an old topic and post something meaningful, and it helps bring back a good topic. I do understand that many topics can be answeared or finished, and there really isen't any need for any new posts, but even then, someone might just have an opinion to add, so it never hurts.
Besides, it it's a dumb, short post, then it's just spam like it would be in any other topic.

Wait a minute... Did i just revive a topic about thread revival?
Thanks for reviving a topic and restating what's been said. Not like your post was very insightful to begin with, regardless of who said it or not, as that is just stating the obvious (to me at least)
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:57 pm

Locked for hopefully obvious reasons.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Return to “Forum Suggestions”