Sexy Exciting RSS

If there's a certain feature you'd like to see, or have a mod you think would be useful, post it here.
VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Sexy Exciting RSS

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:23 pm

From the Karud OoC board to your very own suggestions forum!

The idea is, with RSS, we could make a Karud-only link, which would help people keep on top of the RP. Of course, you could use it for the whole forum if you're an addict like that, but for those of us who DON'T care about Off-Topic and don't follow every post, it'd be very helpful to set for the forum(s) that you do care about.

As soon as my webmaster friend gets online I'll have a download link posted. But, yeah. RSS.

Zieg
Champion Noobite

Re: Sexy Exciting RSS

Post by Zieg » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:00 pm

A bit more info, from my previous post:

RSS Syndication is just a small accessory to a forum. It logs new posts into a small file, and organizes them. Basically, it makes a page like this:

http://www.nixgeex.org/forum/syndicatio ... s%20Forums

It's a simple representation of a post. This in itself isn't much, but when plugged into Firefox (for example. There are MANY RSS readers) you end up with a one click dropdown of the most recent posts. About 5 seconds after starting my Firefox, I could click the button on my toolbar, or in my favorites, and see the last 10 posts in short, letting me know if I need to take a longer look or not.

Google also handles a RSS reader as a free part of their services, and I believe that Windows Vista has a widget based around RSS.

It's simple and convenient, and makes checking into the forum a lot easier. You can also set it to encompass the entire forum, a certain sub forum, or a sub below that, or even a specific thread. User involvement (on Firefox at least) is as easy as navigating to the page they want to track (like the subforum page) and clicking the RSS button on the address bar.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Freud :: Galileo :: Joan :: Vlad :: Alexander

"Hush my dear...
...Let the music fill the night...
...And soon it's all we hear"
- Kamelot: Ghost Opera

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:47 pm

I'll check with Crev if a simple plugin for phpbb3 exists that does this. i wouldn't use it, but I don't think it'd be a problem to add if at least a few people would.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:43 pm

Actually, Dusk, a simple plug-in DOES exist, on the forum Ziegs example linked to. As I recall the webmaster modified one file, I'll try to get that from him.

Return to “Forum Suggestions”