Spell

If you want to suggest a hero or a modification to a current hero, please make a new topic and post it here. Please follow the stickied setup for suggestions (Unless it's a modification).
Medivh.
Champion Noobite

Spell

Post by Medivh. » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:04 pm

Lol, I had to share this idea I had in mind when I overcharged my lightning gun in the computer's face in some shooter game.

ImageImage
Lightning charge
Single target or ground damage

When activated, starts accumulating lightning magicks in a hero's hand. The hero is free to move around while he charges this spell (not channeled). For each second held, the lightning charge grows stronger, up to x seconds depending on level. The lightning charge can be released on the ground where it does AoE damage or at a unit which will damage it and fork to additional units nearby. If held for too long, the lightning charge blows up at the hero's face, dealing damage to the hero and all nearby units (both allied and enemy). Deals 33% damage to Monuments. (works like Arro Kree's unit throwing ability, which uses alternate spells depending on...well, you get what I mean...I hope).

Level 1
Can hold up to 2 seconds. Deals 30 damage per second that the spell was held. If held for 3 seconds, blows up at the hero's face, dealing 60 damage to him and all nearby creatures and monuments. 500 Range.

Level 2
Can hold up to 3 seconds. Deals 35 damage per second that the spell was held. If held for 4.5 seconds, blows up at the hero's face, dealing 105 damage to him and all nearby creatures and monuments. 550 Range.

Level 3
Can hold up to 4 seconds. Deals 40 damage per second that the spell was held. If held for 6 seconds, blows up at the hero's face, dealing 160 damage to him and all nearby creatures and monuments. 600 Range.

Level 4
Can hold up to 5 seconds. Deals 45 damage per second that the spell was held. If held for 7.5 seconds, blows up at the hero's face, dealing 225 damage to him and all nearby creatures and monuments. 650 Range.

Level 5
Can hold up to 6 seconds. Deals 50 damage per second that the spell was held. If held for 9 seconds, blows up at the hero's face, dealing 300 damage to him and all nearby creatures and monuments. 700 Range.

:lol: UT2k4... Hmm. I hope you like it. If I find more oddball ideas, I'll post them here.
Revenge of the thorny bum!

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Re: Spell

Post by Rectifier » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:26 pm

I lolled, nice spell, but the range is massive by level 5. O_O

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:02 am

Rectifier wrote:I lolled, nice spell, but the range is massive by level 5. O_O
I think you mixed up "area of effect" and "range"

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:27 am

Too much changes per level and there's too much going on anyways, but the basic idea's quaint.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:04 am

@oxy even so, a 700 cast range is fairly large...

@duskie You've been using quaint recently. ;)

Medivh.
Champion Noobite

Post by Medivh. » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:30 am

Ah, well, you mean long. At least it's quaint! That's good.

Maybe the range should be the same all the time. Hmm.

Ditch the target ground for AoE damage.

Would mean that if your target gets out of LoS or of range., your spell is gonna splode in your face :p

I like to think of it as some advanced forked lightning.

v.2 maybe I can make it more quaint xD

ImageImage
Fulgur Mandatum
Single target charged forked lightning

When cast, starts channeling lightning magicks in the hero's hand for up to x seconds depending on level. The hero is free to move while he does this. The hero can then unleash the lightning at the enemy dealing y damage for each second that the spell was channeled. However, if the hero doesn't unleash the spell (x+1) seconds after beginning to channel, the spell backfires and hits him and all units around him in 200 AoE for z damage. 400 cast range.

Hits 5 units.

Level 1
Can hold up to 2 seconds. Deals 30 damage per second that the spell was held. If held for 3 seconds, blows up at the hero's face, dealing 150 damage to him and all nearby creatures.

Level 2
Can hold up to 3 seconds. Deals 35 damage per second that the spell was held. If held for 4 seconds, blows up at the hero's face, dealing 200 damage to him and all nearby creatures.

Level 3
Can hold up to 4 seconds. Deals 40 damage per second that the spell was held. If held for 5 seconds, blows up at the hero's face, dealing 250 damage to him and all nearby creatures.

Level 4
Can hold up to 5 seconds. Deals 45 damage per second that the spell was held. If held for 6 seconds, blows up at the hero's face, dealing 300 damage to him and all nearby creatures.

Level 5
Can hold up to 6 seconds. Deals 50 damage per second that the spell was held. If held for 7 seconds, blows up at the hero's face, dealing 350 damage to him and all nearby creatures.

Thanks for reading anyhow. Remember I just took this from a shooter where you have a lightning gun you can charge up to launch red lightning at your opponent...if you don't let go, you splode lol.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:06 pm

Rectifier wrote:@oxy even so, a 700 cast range is fairly large...
I forgot I was the only aom player in here

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:49 pm

Most spells in DoE have 600 range and a fair chunk have 800 and even more have 1000+, so I have no idea why anyone would think 700 to be a long range.

Anyways, you're still way overcomplicating the spell. First of all, ditch the icon, it doesn't matter. Then, try this:

Level 1 Skill:
Zap Cannon
  • Target Point, Channeled.
    Channels for up to 8 seconds. When the channeling ends, this spell deals 30/40/50/60/70 damage for each second the spell was channeled in a line towards target point.
Simple.

Medivh.
Champion Noobite

Post by Medivh. » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:57 pm

The reason why I didn't want to do a Zap Cannon style spell is that it's in Dota. It's one of Ezalor's spells...he channels up to x seconds and releases a shockwave.

Also, I thought of it like this because it adds a bit of dynamic and you need to have minimum brains to use it. For example, if you run around charging it and your target flees, you'll get the charge up your butt. If someone stuns you and you can't release it, you get the charge up your butt. You can also use it as a suicide tool and if Ginther knocks you down, if he's moronic enough to stay next to you, he gets blasted but you stay safe since you are invulnerable during backbreaker.

That's how I thought it would work. But it doesn't matter. Maybe I'll find another quaint idea soon. It's hard considering how you want things to work and trying to avoid copying something else...but then again, that's probably my brain being oddish.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:12 pm

Medivh wrote:The reason why I didn't want to do a Zap Cannon style spell is that it's in Dota. It's one of Ezalor's spells...he channels up to x seconds and releases a shockwave.
Who cares if it's in DotA? I think someone once yelled at me because some other spell on some other hero I made was in DotA, but I don't particularly care. DotA might have some nice spell ideas, but poor implementation and poor hero design shut them down. Take some of those good ideas and put them on heroes fitting the ideas, and suddenly it all works a lot better.

Anyways, who says it has to be a shockwave? Make it a target AOE ion cannon or something. Whatever you want, really.

Medivh.
Champion Noobite

Post by Medivh. » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Ah, yeah, I can see the truth inside of that, although I always hesitate to do something that might be from another map because of the drama it causes and uurrgg.. AND, I have to admit...Ezalor in Dota is some sort of dude with totally random spells...and...it's more like...you are playing something the creator didn't know what to do so he just stuck spells to make it balanced and sh**.

Anyway..hey...this could be cool with Arke now that I think of it.

"Plants Arke in the ground and channels solar energy for up to 8 seconds. For each second charged, the solar beam deals 50/75/100 damage over x duration while an enemy stands in it (for however long Arke fires his solar beam). The spell fails if stunned or interrupted."

Also, lol, found another.

Restitution
Heal over time

Cast this on an allied unit to regenerate life over 12 seconds, 4 seconds between each tick. This spell heals x base life per tick plus 25% of all received damage while the spell is active.

Level 1
Heals 200 life over 12 seconds.

Level 2
Heals 250 life over 12 seconds.

Level 3
Heals 300 life over 12 seconds.

Level 4
Heals 350 life over 12 seconds

Level 5
Heals 400 life over 12 seconds.

Blarg.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:10 pm

Yeah, dota's "version" of the spell is put on a hero with an ability which gives mana, a silence, and a teleport. How they synergize together is absolutely unknown.

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:56 pm

Eh? There aren't any dota heroes that have that spell combination...unless you specifically got items to have certain abilities. :shock:

Restitution is cool and simple, I like it.

Return to “Hero Suggestions”