Khelavaster, the Dying Sage.

If you want to suggest a hero or a modification to a current hero, please make a new topic and post it here. Please follow the stickied setup for suggestions (Unless it's a modification).
Kurogamon
Keeper of the Keys

Khelavaster, the Dying Sage.

Post by Kurogamon » Mon May 11, 2009 10:32 pm

NO, THIS IDEA IS NOT ORIGINAL. SHUT UP. I might change the name later, but the inspiration was from the original Khelavaster, who really didn't fit all of this...

Khelavaster
Dying Sage
Intelligence, Order. (Yes, I said Order.)

I propose him to work on a system of chaos, which means everything he does adds to his mana. This has to be carefully controlled, because every time he gains full mana, he gains a mutation that stays until he dies, and with enough, they'll kill him. He should have a max mana of around 200 or 300, and it won't work like everyone else's. His skills should be fittingly chaotic.

Taking damage might add a point or two, attacking and moving adds some more, and he gains mana by his skills and also over time. The idea is that he has to try to keep his mana down, and can't use fountains or anything. It may result in a lot of frustrating deaths.

!* Khelavaster should not use the Aot3 mana system (Hopefully.) *! If this doesn't work (Like if the mana is completely integrated and totally unchangeable or flexible), I can change it to fit.

!* Khelavaster's abilities work on allies where noted! However, friendly heroes will only feel Discharge and Corruption, and even then only have a placeholder buff for when they die. *!

!* Khelavaster may be rather difficult to play. Beware. *!

Story:

He woke to a piece of paper repeating the same garbled message over and over again.

"Does the pain bother you? Does it make you feel your doom, your curse to live and never die, to repay what you did a thousand times over? Does it? Too bad, eh, friend..."

Little did it matter, now.

His rattling breaths bounced off the walls of the room. How lamentable... To escape Hell, and find death awaiting him. He spat again, a gob of blood so tainted it moved of its own accord across the stone floor.

He felt relieved.

Finally he could leave this world. No longer did he have to bear his curse, no longer did he have to suffer so long. Death was almost welcome after centuries of torture. The memories were his to keep, and oh, how he loathed them. And now he had his respite, and he settled back against the wall and waited.

But it didn't come.

He opened his eyes again. A hellish visage stared back at him. He, it, they, spoke.

"You think you've escaped...? There is no escape, fallen. As long as this world lives, so shall you suffer, and as long as I live, I will haunt you. Come get me... Come find me, LET ME TASTE YOUR FEAR! LET'S SEE YOU FACE ME!"

With a last scream, the vision disappeared, leaving him shaking. Realizing he was standing, he glanced downwards, expecting to find wounds and voids left by the raw chaos. He saw his body made whole again, yet almost unreal. His skin swirled with the neverending pattern of corruption, and his flesh felt feather-light yet unbearably heavy.

He would take the parting message at face value.

He let loose a fell laugh and smashed through the ceiling. He would crush his foe before he died from his corruptions...

Passive Trait:
Khelavaster gains a corruption every time his mana fills to the top. Having more than 3 corruptions will kill him. These corruptions are random things that will always have both a detrimental and beneficial effect. Some are worse than others...
This ability can be activated to dispel all buffs and restore Khelavaster to full health about as fast as a DoE fountain would, and stop his over-time mana gain. He takes +300% damage while using this, and it can't be cancelled until he is at full health.

(I might make up a few.)

Innate Attack Replacement: The Echoing Voices.
"I can almost hear them again... They're coming for us..."
Activatable Passive.
(Range of maybe 300-400. Want it to be controllable.)
When activated, every nearby unit has a medium chance to randomly attack a nearby target every second, whether it's ally or foe or whatever else Dusk plans to add into the map. Heroes will take a offense reduction and have a Y% chance to run away. Adds mana to Khelavaster constantly for every unit affected. !* Works on allies... *!

Level 1 Ability: Twist of Fate.
"Just my bad luck... Ehehe... Ahahaha... Funny... FUNNY, ISN'T IT? HOW IT'S ALWAYS ME? ME! HOW DO YOU LIKE IT, EH?"
Targeted Debuff.
Whoever gets this finds that their luck begins to run out, dropping their weapon at the worst times, tripping when you run away, your enemies always finding the cherry in your armor. Makes the affected take a little extra damage depending on Khelavaster's mana pool whenever they are attacked, gives a large chance to miss, and a small chance to be stunned every few seconds. If a unit dies under this buff, it jumps to two nearby units, and so on. Each instance has its own timer, and it stacks. !* Works on allies... *!

Level 1 Ability: Haze of Insanity.
"Can you feel it, can you taste it, the InSaNiTy hanging in the air..."
Area Debuff and Damage.
A purple cloud covers a medium area, and everything inside is slowed and takes extra damage. Every second affected units have a small to be afflicted by "InSaNiTy", which causes them to take heavy damage depending on Khelavaster's mana pool as long as they are within a small (300-400?) area of Khelavaster. Normal units under InSaNiTy may attempt to run away from Khelavaster, heroes will not. !* Works on allies... *!

Level 1 Ability: Discharge.
"Your pain is my blessed release... Mine... MINE... MORE..."
Damage on Death.
Every time a unit dies while under the influence of Khelavaster's abilities, a small percentage of Khelavaster's max mana is discharged as damage in a small area around the dying unit, and has a very small chance to inflict "InSaNiTy" on them. !* Works on allies... *!

Level 6 Ability: Corruption.
"Every step you take in my realm brings you deeper into my DeSpAiR... FEEL WHAT YOU PUT ME THROUGH, BEG FOR RELEASE THAT NEVER COMES!"
Debuffing Ability Supplement.
Whenever a unit is affected by one of Khelavaster's abilities, they gain a stacking debuff that slows their attack and movement very slightly but adds a small damage increase and drains a very minor amount of health. The more mana Khelavaster has, the more effective this is. The more of these debuffs a unit has, the more effective Discharge is on them. Lasts 40 seconds on units, 10-30 on heroes. This can really add up after a while. !* Works on allies... Allied units, however, only feel half the effects while having the full number of debuffs, and allied heroes only receive a placeholder debuff for the use of Discharge. *!

Level 12 Ultimate: ---
"---"
---
Any ideas, guys? Ideas for Mutations are also very welcome. Also something that can have life gain for Khelavaster inserted somewhere is better if possible.

This hero is the kind of hero that uses allied sacrifices as part of his strategy. He has to carefully control his mana to keep his abilities effective and stop himself from gaining mutations at the same time. Enemies can actually run away or attempt to kill him through getting him to use too much chaos. I hope he looks fun.

IDEAS AND CRITICISM PLZ.
Last edited by Kurogamon on Wed May 13, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Can you hear them?

Vinnam
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Re: Khelavaster, the Dying Sage.

Post by Vinnam » Tue May 12, 2009 11:37 am

I expected something a bit more meaty from you, Kuro :/
Trainer: Brendan Creed
ImageImageImage
Lineup: Noir & Batista

Kurogamon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Kurogamon » Tue May 12, 2009 3:19 pm

Stfu, you. >_>

EDIT: Mostly complete... Just have to make a suitably epic ultimate and figure out how I'll do the mana thing to keep it within Dusk's amount constraints... Which, if you were to tell us a estimate mana pool would be helpful.
Can you hear them?

VZManticoran
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by VZManticoran » Wed May 13, 2009 12:20 pm

Huh. Amusing, at the very least, but from what I know the ultimate power-up system works a lot like your mana system, so it may be a mute point in general. Just keep him with standard stuff and make his ultimate the Mutation inducer.
Image Image Image Image Image
--------Eli-------------Ben------------Alex----------Isabelle---------David----

Kurogamon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Kurogamon » Wed May 13, 2009 3:22 pm

Mutations are BAD. Mutations should be VERY annoying yet add a good trait, but the bad always outbalances the good, and having too many kills him instantly or at least gives him massive degen.

EVERYTHING he does makes him gain mana, including just standing around, moving, and using any ability, and having too much mana is bad for him.
Can you hear them?

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Wed May 13, 2009 4:39 pm

Huh, a new hero, cool...

I think there are two key issues with this hero, the first being that you're trying to break out of a mold that you havn't even seen in full yet, so any hero that would work along the same lines as this probably shouldn't come until after Aot3 comes out. Other than that problem, it feels like there is just way too much going on with this hero, and no real sense or organization about it. If you look at the skills, I don't see much really going on other than straight damage, a conditional immolation type deal (Insanity), and a couple of other scattered ideas.

In essence, there is no clear point to this hero. Maybe there is and it's just hidden under the 12 colors and 3 pages of text, but I can't see it if there is. I recommend slowing down, stepping the hero back and finding a core mechanic you really love about him, and build him up from there. Right now all we see is his abilities are, at best, a rough means by which to control his mana gain, but they don't seem in control enough to ever be really useful or to give the player any true sense of control over what's happening. Think of it this way: As cool as it may be to watch a thunderstorm, if ever you were asked to take control of said storm, you'd be shit out of luck. (wow, that's a horrible metaphor, but the point is, make it so the player has a solid grip on the hero, even if he is chaos based).

But anyways, cool that you made a new hero, so gj there.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

Kurogamon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Kurogamon » Wed May 13, 2009 5:53 pm

When he comes by, shit turns upside down. Basically units start attacking each other and heroes, and things have to run the other way to avoid pain. His focus is mostly disruption by making sure other people can't do whatever they're trying to do with any level of effectiveness. His abilities are often double-edged because they affect allied creeps, so he has to be managed more carefully, and the mana pool has to be managed, which is fun with tradeoffs and choices.
Can you hear them?

Return to “Hero Suggestions”