Zev and Alm, the Charged Twins

If you want to suggest a hero or a modification to a current hero, please make a new topic and post it here. Please follow the stickied setup for suggestions (Unless it's a modification).
TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Zev and Alm, the Charged Twins

Post by TheDeathstalker » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:56 pm

Zev and Alm
Charged Twins
Agility; Order.

Premise: Zev the AVW and Alm the VW use their powers together following the "sum greater than the whole of it's parts" theory. Both are fairly minor VWs, but as Zev was scorned by some leader of the Bane (not good enough with lore to know which), he left and sook out Alm to take his power. Upon meeting, he realized that working together, he stands a better chance of getting back at the Bane than by just taking Alm's power.

Code: Select all

Backstory:
Alm stirred from his sleep, the whistling winds and the crisp mountain air greeting him as they had every morning since he first slipped away.  Alone he watched the world from atop these mountains, learning what he could of the war.  Alone he debated the merits and consequences of getting involved, but despite every horrific victory for the Bane, his passive nature held firm, his desire to protect the innocents abated.  However, today was different.  Today he was no longer alone, and he knew it.

Zev climbed tirelessly, the cold of these mountains cutting deep into him despite his heavy cloak, but he wouldn’t, couldn’t stop now, not with the tools of his vengeance all but at his fingertips.  So as the numbness climbed up his arms, he just smiled and climbed on as the rising sun broke the worst of the chill, and he caught his first sight of the cave that held his prize more precious than gold.

Their cackles rose, the rocks stirred, and a faint crackling could be heard as their eyes met, but not neither moved an inch.  They stood there for what seemed like an eternity, each taking in their opponent, and as if staring into some twisted mirror, they saw themselves.  A tall man dressed in a dull, heavy cloak under which aged and worn leathers protected their chest.  They carried not a scrap of metal save the crescent blade on their hip, the static on the air causing it to seemingly stir at their side.  But for all that, the men standing before each other were no doppelgangers, for in their eyes lived an ocean of difference.  

Zev’s eyes burned as cold fire, the steely gray cutting faster and deeper than any blade, as if always searching for his prey.  There was no evil in them, but something more elegant, more primal.  A hunger with no quenching that is born deep within the hearts of men.  One that calls to all as a siren’s song, but even then none but the bravest fools and the most foolish braves dare seek it.  To give this hunger a name would only serve to undermine it, but this can be said.  This hunger was Zev, and Zev was the hunger.

Alm’s eyes instead caught the light and danced with it, frolicking through the deep green forest of his soul.  There lives a perfect balance within those eyes, a mesmerizing orchestra of give and take, where every thought is threaded together as if notes to a ballad so ancient yet so familiar that all stop to hear.  Tranquility that exceeds understanding, some have called it, but not Alm.  As if a tree in a meadow stood something he could never grasp, an emptiness that despite all the peace in the world would never be filled.  For, you see, Alm hungered too, but not for food or for power or for wealth, but for a transcendent joy that would finally bring some meaning to, to everything.  It was at this moment that that tree first bore fruit, and Alm somehow understood what it would take to find that joy, and the costs were dire.

Bolts of raw energy arced across the mountain, scarring the mountain with deep gashes and rubble.  Alm’s cloak was rent from his body as a bolt struck him, shattering not only his body, but his world, as tears streamed down his face, his peace gone.  Zev reached out, hoping to get to him before the torrent of energies consumed his prize, but to his surprise, he felt a part of him break, and arc to Alm, mending all but the most severe of his wounds.  He fell back, puzzled, unsure, afraid.  As Alm crawled to safety and Zev backed in horror, the storm subsided, eventually fading to little more than an uncomfortable tingle on the air.  

Unsure as to how, they both knew what had to come next.  They had both most unexpectedly found what they needed, a weapon to one, a calling to the other, they would harness this newfound power against the Bane, not for the sake of the Order, not for any greater good, but for themselves.  For the chance to finally be at peace with themselves again.
Basic Skill:
Capacitance
  • Passive
    Whenever Zev and Alm are within some distance of each other (300-400?), they deal X damage per second in Y AoE, as well as Z damage per second to each other.
Basic Skill:
Inversion
  • Active Blink
    When used, the selected hero teleports to the exact other side of the other hero. Max range and (maybe) cooldown scales with level.
Basic Skill:
Discharge
  • Active
    When used, the selected hero fires off a bolt of energy to the other hero, transferring X health. If the bolt hits any unit as it travels, it deals X damage to that unit, and heals the other hero for the damage dealt. Cooldown decreases with level, X stays the same.
Elite:
Singularity
  • Active
    Creates a singularity at the midpoint between the heroes. The singularity is in effect the inverse of Arro Kree's Repel, pulling units towards it's center, potentially holding them there.
Ultimate:
Unity
  • Activated Passive (I think)
    When used, it begins unstoppably draining mana. So long as it is active and the two heroes are within some distance (400-600?), only one of the two heroes can be damaged. Which hero is invulnerable can be toggled by hitting the ultimate again.
Comments:
1) Capacitance- Unsure if the damage they do to each other should increase or decrease with level. Also, It might be a bit more interesting if the damage it deals and the AoE is in some way a function of the distance between them (for example, the AoE is max and the damage is least at full range, then when they're touching the damage is max but the AoE is small).
2) Inversion- This essentially flips the location of hero A with relation to hero B. Say hero A is 400 distance due East of hero B. When this skill is used, hero A moves to 400 distance due West of hero B. This provides both good mobility and positioning ability
3) Discharge- I had a hard time phrasing this right for some reason, essentially hero A fires a bolt from themselves to hero B, dealing X damage to A, and healing B for X. If the bolt were to hit say... 3 units between A and B, it would instead heal B for 4X health (1 normally + 3 units), in addition to dealing X damage to each of those 3 units). Note, this spell has a max range, so you can't stand across the map and fire off the bolts. The max range should be somewhat close to the range of everything else.
4) Singularity- Unsure as to if the pull of the spell should be a function of the distance between the two, like Capacitance.
5) Unity- The invulnerable hero would be somehow denoted by a visible effect. Potentially it would be wise to have a cooldown on the ability to switch which hero is invulnerable of like... 4 seconds or something?
6) Overall, the feel of the hero is meant to be a matter of distance between the two heroes. If you learn to control both distance and placement, the hero shines. If not, the hero kinda falls apart. For example, if you use Inversion to flip to the opposite side of a hero, then use Singularity and collapse in on the hero, firing Discharges to both keep your health up and deal damage.
7) Note: This is a "best guess" based on what I know of 3.00, which is basically that all 3 low level skills are known from lvl 1 and that the ultimate is the only thing that uses mana. If either of these change or is incorrect, I'll need to rework the hero.
8) I for some reason fail at phrasing skills today, for which i apologize.
Last edited by TheDeathstalker on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Re: Zev and Alm, the Charged Twins

Post by Loki » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:51 pm

You know, a reminder that hero suggestions before 3.XX have little to no chance of getting accepted or even exalted. We don't even know what Dusk is going to do until we see the finished product. Not to damper you or anything but I would keep my ideas to myself before posting.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:19 pm

Yeah, but this was one of those things that get stuck in your head and keep bugging you til you actually write them down, so I figured might as well get some feedback on the feel of it. To be honest, I originally thought of it as a DoE hero, but saw no meaningful condition interaction. That, and Capacitance was gonna be an innate, and I saw the all skills at level 1 as a good opportunity to avoid a problematic innate.

Co0kieL0rd
Champion Noobite

Post by Co0kieL0rd » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:39 pm

TheDeathstalker wrote: 7) Note: This is a "best guess" based on what I know of 3.00, which is basically that all 3 low level skills are known from lvl 1 and that the ultimate is the only thing that uses mana. If either of these change or is incorrect, I'll need to rework the hero.
To make sure I understood this: Every hero in AotZ 3.XX will have 3 basic skills already at level 1 which cost no mana - unlike their 2 ultimates. I really hope I'm mistaken and this only applies to Zev and Alm.

Concerning the Charged Twins, I'm sure they would be real survival artists but I think they won't deal much damage to anything with only 2 offensive spells - unless Capacitance and Discharge are really powerful. By any means, the twins are an idea with potential you can work with.
'Mind over Matter. My mind over your matter!'
'Bodies never seem to survive the impact. - Duly noted.'
'Do tell me - Is it hard to walk in midair?'

'KILL! MAIM! BURN!'
'Blood for the Blood God!'

'Defeat... is NOT an option!'
'COWARDS'

'Tch, headshot!'
'Big, strong and handsome? What else do you want?'

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:14 pm

To make sure I understood this: Every hero in AotZ 3.XX will have 3 basic skills already at level 1 which cost no mana - unlike their 2 ultimates. I really hope I'm mistaken and this only applies to Zev and Alm.
You are correct, except that elites cost no mana either.

Co0kieL0rd
Champion Noobite

Post by Co0kieL0rd » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:19 pm

Phox wrote:
You are correct, except that elites cost no mana either.

I meantime read about this in another thread and: Ohmigod! I still can't really conceive this. It would be a tremendous change to 2.XX. Hope you know what you are doing, we probably will have two completely different AotZs then...
'Mind over Matter. My mind over your matter!'
'Bodies never seem to survive the impact. - Duly noted.'
'Do tell me - Is it hard to walk in midair?'

'KILL! MAIM! BURN!'
'Blood for the Blood God!'

'Defeat... is NOT an option!'
'COWARDS'

'Tch, headshot!'
'Big, strong and handsome? What else do you want?'

erwtenpeller
Revenent of the Replies

Post by erwtenpeller » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:27 pm

heh, removing mana as a variable/recource alltogether is a bold move. I'm curious to see how that''d work out.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:39 pm

Phox wrote:You are correct, except that elites cost no mana either.
Hah, "Elites", I knew it was something...

On the lack of offense... yeah... good point. I mean, if need be, other skills can do damage too... Say, Inversion could do attack damage over the distance traveled, Singularity could deal damage to units in the middle, or Unity could return damage to those who hit the wrong one. The skills can be tweaked to fit the need, but then again if you think about it, Sozen is never concerned with a lack of damage, despite discharge being his only seriously offensive spell. The way I see it is if you keep the heroes alive and the enemy unable to get away, you'll get plenty of kills.... supposedly.

Curiously, because this is probably more important than anything, do you guys think that this hero would be fun to play?

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:17 am

TheDeathstalker wrote:do you guys think that this hero would be fun to play?
For me, any hero impossibily complex and difficult to play is worth playing.
Its... its... a NEW SIG!! OMG!!

O_O"

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:50 am

Backstory's done and up. I put it in a Code box up there so that it wouldn't overpower the hero, but for your viewing pleasure... (if anyone feels it's silly to have it in a form other than the code box, lemme know and i'll edit this down to just a "Backstory done" post)

Alm stirred from his sleep, the whistling winds and the crisp mountain air greeting him as they had every morning since he first slipped away. Alone he watched the world from atop these mountains, learning what he could of the war. Alone he debated the merits and consequences of getting involved, but despite every horrific victory for the Bane, his passive nature held firm, his desire to protect the innocents abated. However, today was different. Today he was no longer alone, and he knew it.

Zev climbed tirelessly, the cold of these mountains cutting deep into him despite his heavy cloak, but he wouldn’t, couldn’t stop now, not with the tools of his vengeance all but at his fingertips. So as the numbness climbed up his arms, he just smiled and climbed on as the rising sun broke the worst of the chill, and he caught his first sight of the cave that held his prize more precious than gold.

Their cackles rose, the rocks stirred, and a faint crackling could be heard as their eyes met, but not neither moved an inch. They stood there for what seemed like an eternity, each taking in their opponent, and as if staring into some twisted mirror, they saw themselves. A tall man dressed in a dull, heavy cloak under which aged and worn leathers protected their chest. They carried not a scrap of metal save the crescent blade on their hip, the static on the air causing it to seemingly stir at their side. But for all that, the men standing before each other were no doppelgangers, for in their eyes lived an ocean of difference.

Zev’s eyes burned as cold fire, the steely gray cutting faster and deeper than any blade, as if always searching for his prey. There was no evil in them, but something more elegant, more primal. A hunger with no quenching that is born deep within the hearts of men. One that calls to all as a siren’s song, but even then none but the bravest fools and the most foolish braves dare seek it. To give this hunger a name would only serve to undermine it, but this can be said. This hunger was Zev, and Zev was the hunger.

Alm’s eyes instead caught the light and danced with it, frolicking through the deep green forest of his soul. There lives a perfect balance within those eyes, a mesmerizing orchestra of give and take, where every thought is threaded together as if notes to a ballad so ancient yet so familiar that all stop to hear. Tranquility that exceeds understanding, some have called it, but not Alm. As if a tree in a meadow stood something he could never grasp, an emptiness that despite all the peace in the world would never be filled. For, you see, Alm hungered too, but not for food or for power or for wealth, but for a transcendent joy that would finally bring some meaning to, to everything. It was at this moment that that tree first bore fruit, and Alm somehow understood what it would take to find that joy, and the costs were dire.

Bolts of raw energy arced across the mountain, scarring the mountain with deep gashes and rubble. Alm’s cloak was rent from his body as a bolt struck him, shattering not only his body, but his world, as tears streamed down his face, his peace gone. Zev reached out, hoping to get to him before the torrent of energies consumed his prize, but to his surprise, he felt a part of him break, and arc to Alm, mending all but the most severe of his wounds. He fell back, puzzled, unsure, afraid. As Alm crawled to safety and Zev backed in horror, the storm subsided, eventually fading to little more than an uncomfortable tingle on the air.

Unsure as to how, they both knew what had to come next. They had both most unexpectedly found what they needed, a weapon to one, a calling to the other, they would harness this newfound power against the Bane, not for the sake of the Order, not for any greater good, but for themselves. For the chance to finally be at peace with themselves again.

Return to “Hero Suggestions”