AotZ < DoE (apparently)

This is where all random discussion about AotZ goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
Meliarune
Champion Noobite

Re: AotZ < DoE (apparently)

Post by Meliarune » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:21 am

AotZ stands out most for me because it came first. I played 1.06c once long ago and got turned off because it felt like, as it's been said, each hero was over-specialized in what they did. But then I gave it another whirl, tried out more heroes, found those that suited me and enjoyed myself. Then 2.XX series came along and got rid of those heroes who relied mostly if not entirely on ther synergy of their own skills, to make way for greater teamplay. More nuances in the skill builds that made very few heroes (or atleast until they were mastered) could stand up to another without a challenge.

AotZ stands out because it's flashy, because the map is huge, because heroes can be hired to defend the base and send more troops, because most spells in both versions bent the standards that had been set so far. The map just feels like a landmark for me, in the realm of Aeon of Strife gaming. DoE is its own thing, with its crazy condition combos and weak buildings and quick games, and it works that way. AotZ is just different, if not its polar opposite. And it works too.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:28 pm

In short, AotZ v 2.00 < DoE 1.09

but AotZ v 3.00 is not equal to DoE 1.09, mainly because it's different kind, am I right?

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:29 pm

It will be on a different level so to speak.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Co0kieL0rd
Champion Noobite

Post by Co0kieL0rd » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:58 pm

I've just skimmed this thread and I wanted to add some of my experiences in hosting AotZ to keep the thread going.
There have been many different reactions on this map. Here a short briefing of the aspects several players were enthused by:
- The heroes are cool and new (most positive reactions on Arro Kree, Greel, Kharn and Legion)
- Its lots of fun to see the variety of the spells.
- The partially complicated spells and the hired heroes and allow much tactics and strategy.
- Some people like the faction system and recognize it from ToB.

On the other hand, there are so many players who seem to really hate the map mainly because of these points:
- It's alike ToB and thus put down as a cheap rip-off. (latest quote I remember is 'This is ToB, but in a noobish crap version')
-The heroes are labelled stupid and/or imbalanced (Especially Kisrug Dins and Ginther; Someone said 'The dh is as usual overpowered'-.- and when another one saw Ginther fighting he said 'Auto-attack fights? I'm outa here!')
- Some spells are too complicated for some retarded players, or their descriptions are too long so they don't read them sufficiently.
- There is no strategy at all (whysoever)

Sigh, I don't know whether these guys expect a map exactly like DotA when they learn that it's an AoS map or they just don't want anything more complicated than it. I get really mad when I read such far-fetched criticism including the last 4 points, though it's not even my map (I would never claim it is).
The only way to make a map, that is so different from most of the others, enjoy an overall good reputation is to adapt it to them. But this would destroy its individuality. Sigh.
'Mind over Matter. My mind over your matter!'
'Bodies never seem to survive the impact. - Duly noted.'
'Do tell me - Is it hard to walk in midair?'

'KILL! MAIM! BURN!'
'Blood for the Blood God!'

'Defeat... is NOT an option!'
'COWARDS'

'Tch, headshot!'
'Big, strong and handsome? What else do you want?'

Merlin
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by Merlin » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:10 pm

[...] to keep the thread going.
More like to commit threadomancy.

Cold Phoenix
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Cold Phoenix » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:15 pm

At least he posted some meaningful experiences and not some

"yeah doe rox" post.
Your move.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:22 pm

Co0kieL0rd wrote:There is no strategy at all (whysoever)
By the very genre AotZ belongs to, there is strategy involved.

Anyways, this topic is long since dead and I really don't want it dredged up.
Locked.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Return to “Updates & Discussion”