Thanatos, The necromancer

If you have a hero to suggest for future versions of DoE, place your suggestion in some readable format in this forum.
paper tree
Champion Noobite

Thanatos, The necromancer

Post by paper tree » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanatos
The Necromancer
Bane; Intelligence

Story.

Level 1 Skill: Impale
  • Target Zombie mutates and sprouts bones gaining 25% ms buff. the next unit the zombie attacks, the zombie will impale itself on. causing X initial damage and causes the target gain bleed/cripple conditions for Y seconds
Level 1 Skill: Blight
  • Target Area becomes blighted, any zombies/corpses that are on blight release noxious vapors dealing X Dps in the surrounding area, bleeding units become infected and take Y% more damage from all sources while on blight. any unit that dies on blight is turned into a zombie
Level 1 Skill: Bloody Vengeance
  • toggle ability, while off, causes units that die near thanatos to have a X% chance to be revived as a zombie. while toggled on doubles the passive summon chance and zombies cause inflict bleed each hit.
Level 6 Ultimate: Web of Destruction
  • cripple target zombie, chains of dark energy spring forth from the zombie and link to other zombies in a small AoE, each zombie gains the same debuff and sprouts chains until there is no zombie in range. once that happens all zombies explode dealing X AoE damage. bleeding unit that walk through the chains are crippled for Y seconds.
Last edited by paper tree on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Re: Thanatos, The necromancer

Post by TheDeathstalker » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:40 pm

First and foremost, you should probably try previewing posts before you make them, it helps prevent them from looking funny like this.

As to the actual hero, there are, sadly, some serious flaws.

First off, the innate is unnecessary. You could just as easily work in a way or two of summoning zombies in the skills themselves, and still have them be interesting. The passive zombie production is just uninteresting, and kinda meh.

The first skill is a little hard to understand. I *think* you're saying it rushes forward and sticks to a target unit, dealing damage, but it's really hard to tell from what you posted. It's a rather uninteresting mechanic to have them stick to people, and the alternative, which would be they run and splat, is already on Meridia, although more interestingly.

Life and death is... strange. It just feels odd. The % chance to bleed is kinda underpowered, and the "walk over a corpse" just feels wrong.

Blood Frenzy is worded strangely, but I'm gonna guess it just causes masses of units to cause bleeding, which kinda kills any benefit you'd get from Life and Death's first ability.

Web of Destruction, if I'm reading it right, does nothing but cripple each and every one of your creatures, or so... which I can't find a use for...

Overall, this hero needs some more love. I'd recommend dropping the innate, and finding two interesting ways to produce zombies, both of which should be lvl 1 skills, and neither should be something to do with walking over a corpse or anything. Per example:

Bad Little Voodoo
  • Channeled Target AoE
    All enemy units within some AoE take X dps per corpse in the area. Any unit that dies within the AoE revives as a Zombie, a slow tough melee unit with a weak physical attack.
and

Bloody Effusion
  • Spreading Debuff
    Target unit begins bleeding for X seconds. Every time this unit takes physical damage while still bleeding, bleed is extended by Y seconds. Units who die under this bleed revive as Zombies.
Then you can have some other skills to take advantage of zombies, and possibly have zombies count as corpses, so BLV can work powerfully either way.

I'm not entirely sure, but the hero needs something else...

If nothing else, you should probably take a step back, look at your contest hero, and what Dusk said about it, and move from there.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

paper tree
Champion Noobite

Post by paper tree » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:14 pm

srry i was playin AotZ while posting this,

the innate is needed due mainly because it would become to hard to constantly shift between killing/summoning zombies with skills on CD

the first active keeps the zombie attached to the victim, this allows them to become a point n click target for the ulti/blight(removed life and death because you were right it was weird)

blight is a second corpse generating skill and does decent damage, but the real power behind it is the infection which increases damage done to bleeding units which leads to...

third active
unit gains a buff that causes its next attack to cause bleeding
any units near a bleeding unit also gains this debuff
this continues till units leave the AoE or spell ends
massive bleeding + blight = increased damage to all enemy units

ulti
its basically a bomb
the slow on the zombies makes it easier for the enemy to escape...less they are bleeding
the links that are between each effect zombie slow those that pass through it. this gives you time to swarm who you want to kill. once all zombies are linked they explode dealing AoE damage. best part is with the first active you can guarantee that 1-2 zombies are going to explode on the target. to make matters worse if they on blight, then they take extra damage

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:37 pm

The ultimate mentions nothing of explosions so far as I can see, nor does it mention slowing any other units BUT zombies. You may wanna make this clear. Also, there is no such thing as 50% slow, only Cripple, you may wanna make that clear too.

The innate is not needed, for the exact reason you mentioned there. To demand skill from the player, and to require them to use their skills to have zombies summoned and to make use of them.

Let's see... oh, Blight is a useless skill without the 3rd skill (which is a major no-no), as all it would do is make your zombies die faster (any zombies take x dps, unless I'm reading that wrong...).

I'm not a big fan of the 3rd skill either, it's too complicated. Skills should work to first order only, which is to say, they affect what you targeted with the spell, and don't do some strange spreading effect that isn't really predictable.

Overall, again, I think the hero was working better in it's original form, as right now it's kind of a mess, or at least it is so far as I can see.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

paper tree
Champion Noobite

Post by paper tree » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:00 pm

alright less complicated any improvements and changed now the first and third active cause bleed, while the second and third summon zombies.

so at this point

first active- helps with aiming the spells that target zombies and causes bleed/cripple
second active- does AoE dps to units near zombies/corpse, increase the damage done from zombies and allies(only when unit is bleeding) and generates zombies
third active- generates zombies and bleed
ultimate-main damage skill, requires a lot of micromanaging to pull off, easier to execute with first active and a bleed.

theorycraft battles.
all three skills learned/no ulti
1.toggle on third active to increase corpse generation
2.impale unit with a zombie to cripple/bleed
3. throw down a blight under the unit to cause DPS and increase damage of bleed/other attacking zombies

preparing for ulti
1. gain zombies through passive/second active
2. impale unit to bleed/cripple
3. surround unit with zombies(least get zombies near)
4. cast ulti on attached zombie and watch the chains spread
5. continue to micro-manage zombies around the unit until spell is complete
6. boom.
7. quickly find some corpses and create another zombie are, your useless without it.

assisting team
impale a target through zombie created from blight/passive.
create blight if unit isn't standing on it
unit now is crippled/bleeding/taking dps and increased damage from all sources

siege
form a meatshield to block tower attacks

hero-killing
summon zombie
impale
kite
summon zombie
impale
kite
possible to throw down a blight for increase damage