Agares, The Duke of East

If you have a hero to suggest for future versions of DoE, place your suggestion in some readable format in this forum.
Intoxicated Crayon
Keeper of the Keys

Agares, The Duke of East

Post by Intoxicated Crayon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:39 am

Agares
The Duke of East
Strength; Bane of Eternity

Story.

Level 1 Skill: - Target Active
Break
  • Forces the target to move, causing them to slide forward for a distance of ____. If a foe is hit by the moving target, it extends cripple on the target for 1 second and both that unit and the target are dealt X physical damage. Can target Allies, Enemies, and Self.
Level 1 Skill: - Activated Passive
Deflect
  • While active, X% of damage received by Agares is dealt to enemies with a 500 AoE as magickal damage. Drains mana while active.
Level 1 Skill: - AoE Self
Tremorstep
  • When cast, gives the buff 'Tremorstep' to Agares. For each X distance traveled, all foes within 300 of Agares are dealt Y physical damage and knocked down for a second if crippled. Lasts 12 seconds.
Level 6 Ultimate: - Aura
Frailty
  • When Agares is suffering from a condition, there is an X% to transfer it to nearby foes upon dealing damage for Y% of it's duration as cripple. AoE of 450.
mhm... yeah...
Last edited by Intoxicated Crayon on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
English should not be a prerequisite for intelligence,

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Re: Agares, The Duke of East

Post by TheDeathstalker » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:14 pm

Hrm. I have to say, I don't really like it IC. This hero seems to try a lot of things that have been suggested in the past, but without adding much to the theory or implementation, just making them go.

Check/Break's fundamental idea seems flawed to me, in that you force a unit to just move, and deal damage in a line. It doesn't feel natural at all to me, it feels like something forced, and to cause it to be essentially a creep cannon for a free knockdown is rather bland in my opinion. There's something interesting that can be done with this I'm sure, but it's not a point-click-slide skill.

Deflect almost feels like it is alright, but it's bland, and has no real condition interaction going on. It's probably the most "ok" skill on here, but still needs something more to be actually interesting.

Blockade is a no-go. Innert had this as his Ult, and even that didn't deal any damage or cripple. Again we're seeing a lack of innovation on this, it's just Innert's skill repasted and given some power (actually, I think this is the exact same as Oxy's Hero Contest Innert, but I'm not sure).

Victory March has been tried, or at least suggested before, but I don't think it really works, or at least, not on this scale, or with this style of a hero. Not to mention the fact that it would allow some lameass combos, suchas being Immortal while being cauterized, or things like that. And it kills the active use of Deflect, instead making it a spike that you can't quite control, as you have no power over the duration of conditions, etc etc.

Overall, I just think this hero is recycling too many ideas. Instead try taking just one of these ideas and making it into something special. Here's a quick thought:

Moment of Inertia - Instant Cast AoE
All units within X(600-700?) radius of <Hero> lose the ability to change direction, instead sliding forward at their current speed for Y(1-2?) seconds, dealing Z physical damage to all units they collide with and tacking on some silly condition.

Build a hero around something like this, a quick flash of an effect, and then have some delayed zone damage skills as well as the ability to really have some fun in the fray, not to mention increase their movespeed such as to be able to really maneuver around and crack some skulls.

Good Luck, and don't be disheartened, each of the ideas you have can work, but they need some new spark of life in them.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

Intoxicated Crayon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Intoxicated Crayon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:36 am

Thanks for the comments Death, removed the skills that didn't really synergize with the rest of the hero. I think the hero is actually pretty cool now and the skills would be awesome when used correctly.

Below is the older hero, <3.
Agares
The Duke of East
Strength; Bane of Eternity

Story.

Level 1 Skill: - Target Active
Check/Break
  • Forces the target to move, causing them to slide forward for a distance of ____. If a foe is hit by the moving target, they are knocked down for a second and both that unit and the target are dealt X physical damage. Can target Allies, Enemies, and Self.
Level 1 Skill: - Activated Passive
Deflect
  • While active, X% of damage received by Agares is dealt to enemies with a 500 AoE as magickal damage. Drains mana while active.
Level 1 Skill: - AoE Channel
Blockade
  • While channeled, units cannot exit or enter the AoE. Units near the edge of the AoE are dealt X magickal DPS and crippled for 3 seconds. Lasts Y seconds.
Level 6 Ultimate: - AoE Self
Victory March
  • Grants a buff to all nearby allies and self. When a unit receives a condition with this buff, all damage received is delayed and is not dealt until the condition ends. Buff ends when a condition is received or if X seconds pass.
mhm... yeah...

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:41 pm

Looks better, but I'm still not a huge fan of the implementation of Break, even though Tremorstep and Frailty work with it. I think the problem is furthermore that both of them work with it in a completely passive way. I mean, he has a single active ability in terms of use, and said skill is a point-click that's already on shaky ground in my book. Looks better, though...

Intoxicated Crayon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Intoxicated Crayon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:59 pm

mhm... Break is a bit lolz... I like Moment of Inertia, but I don't want to take that idea unless I really can't think of something :<. Thanks again for posting death, I shall comment on your hero soooooon :o!

/thinkz

Intoxicated Crayon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Intoxicated Crayon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:57 am

How do these skills sound if they replace Break?

Level 1 Skill: - Delayed Self AoE Damage
Expulsion
  • Debuffs all units in the area. After X seconds, if a unit with the debuff is still within the AoE, they are pushed out for a distance that is double the distance between said unit and the center of the AoE. If a unit has exited the AoE, they're pushed back in for half the distance between said unit and the center of the AoE. When pushed in/out, the is unit dealt Y physical damage per blah traveled. Y is doubled if the unit suffers from a condition.
or

Level 1 Skill: - Line Damage
Break
  • Summons a spirit that has the exact facing of the target unit. The summoned unit will continue moving forward for some distance at a set speed, dealing X magickal DPS to all nearby units. If the summoned unit and target unit exit range of each other, the original target unit will blink to the summon and knockdown itself and nearby units for 2 seconds. The speed of the spirit is doubled if the unit was suffering from a condition.
I guess Tremorstep could also become a target unit buff so more allies could be able to use it to their advantage? Or Tremorstep could become an activated passive and Deflect could become a buff that can be given to allies.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Why not:

Expulsion - Target AoE
Slides all moving units to the edge of the AoE.

Just have it be an innate, make everything work off it. Also, the wording here means it's "dodgable" and won't break channels, which makes it fair...

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:48 pm

TheDeathstalker wrote:Why not:

Expulsion - Target AoE

Just have it be an innate, make everything work off it. Also, the wording here means it's "dodgable" and won't break channels, which makes it fair...
Why would making it an innate be a good thing? Seems like every time a new hero with an innate gets added, everybody is suddenly revving to add more of them.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:52 pm

I've always been a fan of a clever innate. Also, would ya mind citing another time when a hero with an innate got added other than right now? I'm kinda blanking on others, although I havn't been around for too too long...

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:22 pm

TheDeathStalker wrote:Expulsion - Target AoE
This is a very bad idea for an innate.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:52 pm

But what about... yeah, maybe. I wrote that in the middle of my brain switching gears from Astrophysics to Anthropology. For being so close in spelling, it's got a very very high chance of stalling out.

But yeah, it's a bad idea I guess, but since the skill that it simplified took just over 4 lines to explain, I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. You know, I almost feel like I could probably pull off a half decent hero with that innate. Would be tricky, but it's not the worst thing I've come up with.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:52 pm

All it does is force a unit to move. That's a totally tacky innate and you could remove it and be none-the-wiser for it. I mean, really. >.>;
TheDeathStalker wrote:But yeah, it's a bad idea I guess, but since the skill that it simplified took just over 4 lines to explain, I wasn't quite sure what to do with it.
Get rid of it, maybe?

Intoxicated Crayon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Intoxicated Crayon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:52 pm

xP

I suppose Expulsion wasn't a very good idea then?

How about this? It was inspired by Vinnam's "Skewer" skill, although it's not passive like his and the effect is completely different xD, besides the possible cripple that is*!

Level 1 Skill: - Line Damage
Skewer
  • Makes the unit unable to turn and continues forward at it's current speed for 4(?) seconds. All units it comes in contact with are "Skewered" which puts them in front of the target unit and the target and skewered unit are dealt X physical damage. Up to Y units may be skewered and once the sliding ends, all skewered units are knocked down(Or crippled) for a second per each unit in the chain.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:56 pm

See, that is a very confusing skill. I also am not sure that I like too much enemy movement in abilities for DoE. I mean, Quicksand and Critical Mass is plenty, but that skill you just suggested is far too close to a knockback for my tastes.

Intoxicated Crayon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Intoxicated Crayon » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:36 am

odarn. /goes back to thinking

Return to “Hero Suggestions”