Hourn Rah

If you have a hero to suggest for future versions of DoE, place your suggestion in some readable format in this forum.
Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Hourn Rah

Post by Soul_Reaver » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:04 pm

Hourn Rah
No title
Intelligence; Bane of Eternity.

Level 1 Skill:
Shadow Fragment
  • Deals X (80 / 100 / 120 / 140 / 160 (?)) physical damage within 300 of target point.
    Applies Ruin for Y (Less than cooldown.) seconds.

Also marks target point.
    After Z seconds repeats effects at marked point and spell finishes.
Level 1 Skill:
Delocate
  • After 2 seconds all units within X (800) of target point but not within Y (500 / 450 / 400 / 350 / 300) of target point are moved to target point.
    All units within Y (500 / 450 / 400 / 350 / 300) of target point are thrown out from X (800) of target point into the direction they're from target point.
Level 1 Skill:
Unbearable Darkness
  • (You may cast this on yourself, allies or enemies.)
    When a unit under the effects of Unbearable Darkness takes enough physical damage (200-300) this deals X (50-100) physical damage to (Including target, if target is enemy.) and applies 2 / 2 / 3 / 3 / 4 seconds of all conditions target unit has been suffering during the duration of Unbearable Darkness.
Level 6 Ultimate:
Harsh Echo
  • You deal X% (5%?) of the physical damage you've dealt since your last attack as physical attack damage on your next attack.
Additional:
Shadow Fragment
Low (6?) cooldown, greater than the duration of the Ruin but less then the time before the repeat.

Delocate
Will not move units onto impassable terrain.
Both effects works on enemies, allies and you, but not on structures.
Small cast range. Relative high cooldown.

Unbearable Darkness
Spammable.

Harsh Echo
Nullifies on each attack.
Damage cap of Y physical attack damage bonus.
Works for your regular attack and spells.
a) You deal damage with a maximum level Shadow Fragment to 3 units. They take 480 physical damage and their armors reduce it to 350. You receive 0.05 x 350 = 17,5 physical attack damage for your next attack.
b) You attack, dealing 60 physical damage after reductions. Your next attack will deal an additional 3 physical damage.
You may stack up this effect by not attacking to the maximum of Y attack damage bonus. (Increases with level)
Last edited by Soul_Reaver on Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

www.ZugZug.orc
Noobite Warrior

Re: Hourn Rah

Post by www.ZugZug.orc » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:31 pm

Deals X (80 / 100 / 120 / 140 / 160 (?)) physical damage within 300 of target point.

So does this mean you target a point, and the spell takes effect somewhere (randomly determined) within 300 range of that point?

Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Soul_Reaver » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:56 pm

No, not like that.

300 is a relative small range.
It means that its area of effect is 300.
Sorry if that is confusing.
Last edited by Soul_Reaver on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:56 pm

Nah, it's just a 300 aoe nuke.

The hero's interesting, but seems too much flash, not enough DoE, if that makes sense... playing too many complicated games instead of being simple and deep.... not sure what to do about that though.

Ult's also funky... I'd prefer something akin to... deals some increased damage based on how much he's dealt in the last X seconds, not this wierd chargeup...
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Soul_Reaver » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:57 pm

I've been thinking about just that but changed my mind later.

:D

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:21 pm

I like his name, but the 'r' in the first word makes it sound off when spoken aloud. "Ho'un Rah" is much cooler.
Anyways, Delocate is too complicated of a mechanic. The pull-to-point is neat, really, but the expel-from-area is too much when their effects are combined.

Also, the condition interaction is bleh. (Virtually nonexistent)
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Soul_Reaver » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:27 pm

Well, there is condition interaction.
First of all, you can cast Shadow Fragment, wait for it to explode a second time, (Enemies become Ruined.) then you can cast it again for increased damage.
That ruin also boosts the physical damage you deal, thus you get more damage from the Ultimate.
You can also maim a large number of enemies by using Desertion and then Delocate.

But, ehm... If you explained it a bit more, maybe I could come up with something.
(I kinda like the concept behind my hero. (For the first time since I've been posting heroes.))

Glad you liked the name. Feel free to take it. Even if only the name makes it into the game I'll die happy.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:30 pm

Ruin increasing physical damage is it doing its job, not really condition interaction. You're not interacting with the ruin on any level, you're just doing damage while it's there. It would be like saying "This skill mutes the target foe, meaning he can't cast spells, meaning I am thus a better tank against him." That's obvious, of course, it's not condition interaction.

Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Soul_Reaver » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:34 pm

But if I made any of the skills do X if Ruin is on them, it would make it feel forced.
Also, if you removed the Ruin from the first skill it would still be a good nuke, relative spammy and with a low mana cost.
The Ruin is there to make it deal increased damage if you cast it smartly and not randomly.

Why doesn't that make it condition interaction?

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:42 pm

Soul_Reaver wrote:Why doesn't that make it condition interaction?
Condition interaction is a specific terminology used to describe direct interaction with the condition system itself. Ruin making physical damage hurt more is not interaction with the condition system, it is interaction with the output of it. One could make a similar argument to yours where because they inflict both bleed and burn and also deal raw damage on their own, that their raw damage "interacts" with conditions in killing enemies faster. (Note this is an identical argument to yours) They would be, obviously, incorrect, though. You're not interacting with anything, you're exploiting a unit's current state just like two heroes slamming nukes on the same guy at once.
Soul_Reaver wrote:But if I made any of the skills do X if Ruin is on them, it would make it feel forced.
Sometimes, sometimes not. Vert's abolish stuns blinded units, and yet it flows perfectly fine with the map without feeling forced. It's an opportunity and works great as such.

There are also dozens of ways to interact with conditions other than "If you have X, do Y."

Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Soul_Reaver » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:44 pm

Oh.
Thank you for answering my questions.
:)

www.ZugZug.orc
Noobite Warrior

Post by www.ZugZug.orc » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:07 pm

I like the name as Ho'un Rah much better. Very Egyptian feel to it. I see him as an Intelligence based caster in your current incarnation. Here's how I envision it, sort of as an anti-Khamsin thematically, based on what you've posted. Lots of sand, stone, fire, desert-ish stuff. I sort of re-did your 1st and 3rd level one skills. Not really sure what to think of the Delocate idea, but it seems unnecessarily complex. No idea for a level 6 skill.

Sandstone Uplift
Ho'un Rah causes an uplift of sandstones at the target area. Units within a 450 area take 70/105/140/175/210 physical damage as the shards erupt beneath their feet. They are maimed and ruined for 1/2/3/4/5 seconds. After 2 seconds, the shards collapse and any unit within the original casting area that is suffering from a condition is knocked down for 2 seconds.

Does some decent damage on its own, and has two conditions (one of which is quite desirable) attached to a simple point-and-click AOE. Then an aftershock for any hero silly enough to sit around and wait for it will knock them down for 2 seconds, which is probably going to be bad news for them. I see this as great in a choke point like the entrance to a base where a hero might have a hard time escaping if their own creeps are blocking them in.

Flame of Scorn
Ho'un Rah creates a Flame of Scorn at the target point. Enemy units either entering or leaving a 600 range around the ward have Burn extended by 2/3/4/5/6 seconds. Enemy units that leave the range of the Flame of Scorn while suffering a condition are cruelly immolated by the flames for their cowardice. Their Burn condition is extended by 2 seconds for each condition they are currently suffering, and they are Blinded until they stop Burning.

I see this as battlefield control. Drop it in front of a push to do some damage to it. Use it to burn fleeing heroes, or if they're conditioned, make life very unpleasant for them as they try to run away. With some timing from Sandstone Uplift, it could be used on an incoming wave to heavily damage them and then add quite a bit of Burn as they exit the radius of Stone of Scorn.

EDIT: Fixing numbers so they follow a progression.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:33 pm

www.ZugZug.orc wrote:Sandstone Uplift
Ho'un Rah causes an uplift of sandstones at the target area. Units within a 450 area take 70/105/140/175/210 physical damage as the shards erupt beneath their feet. They are maimed and ruined for 1/2/3/4/5 seconds. After 2 seconds, the shards collapse and any unit within the original casting area that is suffering from a condition is knocked down for 2 seconds.

Does some decent damage on its own, and has two conditions (one of which is quite desirable) attached to a simple point-and-click AOE. Then an aftershock for any hero silly enough to sit around and wait for it will knock them down for 2 seconds, which is probably going to be bad news for them. I see this as great in a choke point like the entrance to a base where a hero might have a hard time escaping if their own creeps are blocking them in.
Just a quick note, it probably sounds like a good idea because it already is one, named Collapse. Just this form doesn't make you channel, and does spike damage first...

www.ZugZug.orc wrote:Flame of Scorn
Ho'un Rah creates a Flame of Scorn at the target point. Enemy units either entering or leaving a 600 range around the ward have Burn extended by 2/3/4/5/6 seconds. Enemy units that leave the range of the Flame of Scorn while suffering a condition are cruelly immolated by the flames for their cowardice. Their Burn condition is extended by 2 seconds for each condition they are currently suffering, and they are Blinded until they stop Burning.

I see this as battlefield control. Drop it in front of a push to do some damage to it. Use it to burn fleeing heroes, or if they're conditioned, make life very unpleasant for them as they try to run away. With some timing from Sandstone Uplift, it could be used on an incoming wave to heavily damage them and then add quite a bit of Burn as they exit the radius of Stone of Scorn.
I dunno man, I think you're getting the carriage in front of the horse here. Before you go about and do a complete rework of his hero, stop and try to understand it, and comment thereof... To just drop in with two new skills saying "this is better" without real qualification is kinda meh.

On that note, I really do like the first skill in a functional aspect, it's simple, stupid, but effective, and could be used to great effect with other mobility controlling skills, as he has here. What the hero needs is a bit of fine tuning in that regard, not overly complicated replacement skills
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Soul_Reaver » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:11 pm

Desertion is replaced with Unbearable Darkness.

Level 1 Skill:
  • Unbearable Darkness
    (You may cast this on yourself, allies or enemies.)
    When a unit under the effects of Unbearable Darkness takes enough physical damage (200-300) this deals X (50-100) physical damage to (Including target, if target is enemy.) and applies 2 / 2 / 3 / 3 / 4 seconds of all conditions target unit has been suffering during the duration of Unbearable Darkness.
Should be spammable to allow one unit's exploding Unbearable Darkness to affect another unit with Unbearable Darkness, probably exploding theirs to start a chain-reaction-like someting once you've casted Delocate and Fragment.

And the massive amounts of physical damage should give you enough boost to finish the rest if we stick with Deathstalker's ultimate idea. (The loop instead of the charge-up.)

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:47 pm

You have to be careful with buff skills. Despite there being a lot of possibility for them, they have the unavoidable tendency to just feel boring.

Return to “Hero Suggestions”