Tao'chu, the Arctic Shank

If you have a hero to suggest for future versions of DoE, place your suggestion in some readable format in this forum.
Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Tao'chu, the Arctic Shank

Post by Oxygen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:44 pm

Tao'shu
The Arctic Shank
Primary Attribute; Agility
Team; Light
Skin; Think of Ronin, wearing some sort of fur, with white facial hair and weilding a badass spear instead of a sword.

North... ravaged... avenge... Bane of Eternity... etc.

Level 1 Skill: Trip
180 degree attack in front of Tao that causes all enemy units to fall down for 2 seconds and take 150 damage. Short cooldown. Deals bonus damage against any condition.(6-10 seconds)

Level 1 Skill: Congeal
Tao congeals an enemy unit, causing it to be stunned for 5 seconds and starts burning for the duration. Creates a cube of ice around the target. The cube has 250 health, can be attacked by either sides, and any damage dealt to it will be also be dealt to the hero trapped inside. Enemy units that walk close to the ice cube are crippled for 3 seconds, and enemy units that attack the ice cube are maimed for 3 seconds.(12-20 seconds)

Level 1 Skill: Arctic Presence
The mere presence of the Arctic Shank is enough to chill the bones of his enemies. Every seconds, nearby units have 3% chance to be crippled for 1 second. This chance is inscreased the longer they stay within range of Tao.

Level 6 Ultimate: Shatter
Tao jumps at a target area, causing high damage to the struck unit. If the target was a creep, that unit is instantly pulverized, shattering, and causing shards of ice to fly in all directions, which cripples and damages nearby units. If the target was a hero, that hero is dealt high damage and crippled. Medium cooldown. (45 seconds)

Comments; hi
Last edited by Oxygen on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

pandamanana
Holder of the Alt-F4

Re: Tao'chu, the Arctic Shank

Post by pandamanana » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:02 am

mmm I like... the only problem is there isn't a ronin with a spear that is all Alaskian. I love it otherwise, and if Dusk could convince someone (Chriz cough cough) to make a model similar to this, it would be great

Heres just a random skill that might work with this hero
Aegis of the North
Creates a large block of ice at the targeted location, it cripples anyone who gets near it and if attacked, it shatters shooting shards of ice in the opposite direction of the attack, dealing heavy damage and bleed/cripple.

Greenspawn
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Greenspawn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:23 am

Neat hero idea. The numbers seem a bit arbitrary. If you could maybe use variables next time? Just my obsession.

I like the hero. A lot. Just one question: Is "Frozen" a condition, or is it a congealed unit?
Math is # |e^iπ|
"I can't imagine getting hit by a giant rock and not being maimed or crippled or ruined" -Dusk

Logue: Please replace the toilet paper when you use it all. For some reason my 5 year old son believes if it's not there he does not have to wipe.

Blind
Champion Noobite

Post by Blind » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:31 am

The concept of a frozen enemy is trying to embed a new condition into the map without actually doing so. I mean, yeah, Dusk did add a new condition in Ruin (Which was far too long in coming, if I do say so myself), but I think that frozen should not be added. I mean shit, we've got Knockdown and Stun already that do the same thing as frozen.

Also, since frozen isn't a condition, that means any other skills that depend on frozen are forced synergy. That's a big no-no, especially since I highly doubt frozen would get added as a condition. And why the hell would you want to use the second ability on an ally. Deal 200 damage? Yeah, please, no.

The ultimate is silly too. Talk about overcomplicated, it can do 3 entirely different things based on what the target has on it or is. Why make it that over the top? Can't you think of something that does equally valuable things in all scenarios?

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:57 pm

Blind wrote:The concept of a frozen enemy is trying to embed a new condition into the map without actually doing so. I mean, yeah, Dusk did add a new condition in Ruin (Which was far too long in coming, if I do say so myself), but I think that frozen should not be added. I mean shit, we've got Knockdown and Stun already that do the same thing as frozen.
It's not a new condition. It's a stun, with in addition, a strictly different effect, which causes the target to be cubed. This allows the hero to flow overal. If it was only a stun, it wouldn't be interesting. But the ice part to it adds the resilience, the cripple effect, the number of hits to break the stun... Etc. It isn't a new condition, altho I totally understand your confusement, because I did add an effect with the ultimate that would affect a cubed person. Point is, its only a flashy effect, not a new condition. :)
Blind wrote: Also, since frozen isn't a condition, that means any other skills that depend on frozen are forced synergy. That's a big no-no, especially since I highly doubt frozen would get added as a condition. And why the hell would you want to use the second ability on an ally. Deal 200 damage? Yeah, please, no.
The only skill that uses frozen right now would be the jump. And it can be perfectly used without it, and your point might be good enough for me to totally remove this part. The frozen target would obviously take no damage. But realize the potential of using this on a creep, if you're being chased, or wish to protect a tower or a player taking damage or anything. Realize that it also grants protection and a cripple effect, not only damage! I think that its an amazing spell.
Blind wrote:The ultimate is silly too. Talk about overcomplicated, it can do 3 entirely different things based on what the target has on it or is. Why make it that over the top? Can't you think of something that does equally valuable things in all scenarios?
You're right there, I'll edit it such that it's super easy to understand.
Greenspawn wrote:Neat hero idea. The numbers seem a bit arbitrary. If you could maybe use variables next time? Just my obsession.

I like the hero. A lot. Just one question: Is "Frozen" a condition, or is it a congealed unit?
I don't like variables, they don't really show how you want the hero to flow, the idea behind it. There's a difference between a 3 sec stun that does 100 damage, or a 1 sec stun that does 300 damage. And frozen isn't a condition, its just to express the fact that a unit is afflicted with the congeal spell. But I'll remove that, since it tends to create confusion.

pandamanana
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by pandamanana » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:03 pm

I'll edit it such that it's super easy to understand.
lulz

Umm... I don't know where you get your theories, Blind, but this certainly is an interesting one. Oxygen is obviously making this hero to coerce Dusk into creating another condition. Nice.

Besides that, I don't agree with the ultimate being over complicated at all...

If you wish to have a more simplified version, here goes...

Hero jumps. If non-hero and non-structure deal X damage and shoot shards out in opposite direction dealing bleed, cripple and damage. If unit equals to hero, deal X damage and cripple. If unit is frozen (under the effects of congeal) un-congeal, deal X damage and AoE.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:03 pm

When you say "nearby units" does it mean enemy or allied and enemy?

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:20 pm

Hell_Tempest wrote:When you say "nearby units" does it mean enemy or allied and enemy?
Damage / negative conditions never apply to allied units, the exception being casting Congeal on a friendly unit, which would stun it ( but also grant the protection )

Also, thanks Panda for clarifying. But I never wanted Dusk to add a new condition. This ability uses stun, and cripples nearby units. There is NO new condition involved. The ice cube is a flashy way of putting it all together and making it interesting.
Last edited by Oxygen on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:22 pm

But you said "these hits will also affect the trapped target" so if the enemy was close wouldn't it make the person a sitting duck?

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:25 pm

Hell_Tempest wrote:But you said "these hits will also affect the trapped target" so if the enemy was close wouldn't it make the person a sitting duck?
It would. But I'm sure there will be certain situations where you will want to freeze one of your own creeps, aka you're being chased and freezing your creep would provide you with a cripple. Or perhaps protect the entrance of your outpost by freezing a headhunter at the entrance. I can see plenty of things that could be done with it, and these things go beyond the 5 second stun, or whatever it will ( would...? ) be

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:30 pm

But if the creep/hero inside dies wouldn't the ice block go away as well?

Blind
Champion Noobite

Post by Blind » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:39 pm

It's not a new condition. It's a stun, with in addition, a strictly different effect, which causes the target to be cubed. This allows the hero to flow overal. If it was only a stun, it wouldn't be interesting. But the ice part to it adds the resilience, the cripple effect, the number of hits to break the stun... Etc. It isn't a new condition, altho I totally understand your confusement, because I did add an effect with the ultimate that would affect a cubed person. Point is, its only a flashy effect, not a new condition.
Nice of you to edit that into your hero, it's much more reasonable and practical with the other skills doing extra stuff to stunned rather than cubed units. Before it was ugly and forced. I say ditch the damage on the first skill entirely, too. You'd think a 5 second stun would be enough reason to get a skill, you don't need to be dealing spike damage with it too.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:40 pm

Hell_Tempest wrote:But if the creep/hero inside dies wouldn't the ice block go away as well?
What's your point there? Extra time is extra time, extra annoyance is extra annoyance. It'll be mostly an offensive spell, but it'll have other uses. Suggest a way to improve it, or drop it. I think that it has an amazing potential.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:47 pm

Ugh crap. missclick.

EDIT: Well, I'll use this. I changed Congeal around a bit, it can no longer be used on friendly units, and should be much more clear now. Gooo

Return to “Hero Suggestions”