William Gillers, the Dragonborn Phalanx

If you have a hero to suggest for future versions of DoE, place your suggestion in some readable format in this forum.
BloodyMacabre
Noobite Warrior

William Gillers, the Dragonborn Phalanx

Post by BloodyMacabre » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:49 am

William Gillers
Dragonborn Phalanx
Strength; The Hallowed Order.

Making a New Story.
Level 1 Skill:
Skill #1 Suppress - AoE Condition Removal
  • William yells out the Hallowed Chant, inspiring allied units around to do better, be braver, and become stronger. All conditions on allied units, except William, are removed when this spell is used, and allies affected by Surppress will take % less damage. Lasts # seconds.
Level 1 Skill:
Skill #2 The Banner of Hope - Create Inspiring Ward
  • William places a banner at a targeted point. This banner has a "Inspire" aura which increases the damage of all nearby allied units, and will give nearby units a % chance to completely block a condition. This banner lasts # seconds.
Level 1 Skill:
Skill #3 "Fight back!" - Heroic Aura
  • When ever an allied unit has their condition(s) removed, by it being dispelled, or being blocked, the caster of the spell will be dealt # damage, times the amount of seconds the condition would've lasted if it wasn't dispelled. Also to addition this spell, all allied units around William who haven't been affected by a condition for # seconds, will have their armor increased by # as long as they are around William. William does not recieve this effect.
Level 6 Ultimate:
Skill #4 None - None
  • Description.
New Change Log. Changed "Suppress" and "The Banner of Hope" a little, and removed "Heroic Strike." Also removed the story and name, and will remake the story if I can think of one. So, any ideas for the new Story, Name, and Ultimate?
Last edited by BloodyMacabre on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 10 times in total.
- BloodyMacabre
<3 :vela: <3

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Re: William Gillers, the Hallowed Warrior

Post by TheDeathstalker » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:57 am

Well, first of all, I just want to say welcome to the forums, and that this isn't bad for a first hero suggestion.

That being said, let's get into it, shall we?

First of all, Let's take a look a hero already in the game, Brother Victor.
  • 1. Fist of the Heavens - Target Unit
    Heals for X hp on the target ally or deals X magickal damage on the target enemy.
    All conditions that Victor has will be transferred to the target enemy.
    2. Martyr - AoE Indicator
    Heal allies X life if they have a condition and transfers all of their conditions to Victor.
    3. Valor and Zeal - Passive, Channeled, No Target
    Victor has X bonus life regeneration. While channeled, he losts his bonus life regen but nearby allies gain a Y bonus to life regeneration.
    4. Absolution Aura - Passive, Aura
    Units without conditions within range of Victor will take X% less damage from all sources.
In terms of role and function, these heroes are fairly similar. William has a skill that removes all conditions in an AoE (which is a step up from Victors, in which he just takes the conditions on himself) and increases their attack and movespeeds. Again we have overlap between Valor and Zeal and The Banner of Hope, which are both AoE regen, the only difference being that Victor's is channeled, while this is a ward that additionally can block conditions. Hero Attack is unique to William, but you've got to think to yourself for a second as to if the skill really fits with the rest of the hero. You've got three AoE buffs, essentially, and one attack that doesn't take advantage of any of those buffs. In all honesty, it's difficult to come up with such a skill, but if you could , it would significantly strengthen the quality of this hero (I'll go into a bit more on this later). The Ultimate skill is a significant weakness in this hero, not because it wouldn't wtfpwn, but because of two problems. First of all, it's just doing way way way too much. You can't honestly expect this skill to heal all allies, damage all enemies and buff every aspect of all allies within an AoE, that's too much for one skill to bother with, and it'd either have to be tweaked so low that it's almost just a drop in the bucket, or so high that it's obnoxious. The other problem is that it almost 100% overlaps with the first skill, which is a very bad thing. You want all the skills to compliment one another, and you definitely don't want one skill making another nigh worthless...

As to how this hero can improve... Well, there's not too much I can say here, honestly. The role is too similar to Victor's for the hero to ever really come into it's own without a massive overhaul. But since that's almost out of the question, let's look at doing what we can here, eh? The ultimate and the third skill are the real problems here, so far as I can tell, so let's think on those...

Hero Attack needs to take into account allied buffs as well as be a direct (ish) damage attack. Hows about the following...

Ultimate:Hero Blade- Channeled Line Attack.
William raises his blade above his head, charging it with power. For every second spent channeling, the damage of the attack increases by X, and the range by Y, for a maximum length of time equal to the number of unconditioned, buffed allies within Z AoE when the spell begins (likely times some unit of time, maybe 1/2 second per ally).

Significantly different, and in the place of the ultimate, but essentially the spell takes advantage of the buffed allies for a giant, heavy attack, but only if you've got enough allies to power it.

Now, as for the new 3rd skill, really it's up to you. I'd recommend some interesting and useful passive, plausibly something like this:

Return to Sender- Passive Aura
Whenever an ally is given a condition within X AoE, that condition is instead applied on the enemy that gave them that condition, and the allied unit steals Y health from said unit. Triggers at most once every Z seconds.

Not perfect, but it could work... I dunno.

Either way, good first hero, I hope to see more.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

BloodyMacabre
Noobite Warrior

Post by BloodyMacabre » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:25 am

Thanks TheDeathstalker!.. I edited my hero... a bit. I changed the name of "For the Hallowed Order" to Surppress, mostly because it sounds more fitting, and I changed Heroic Strike into "Fight back!' which is, in my opinion, a cool sounding aura. (But then again, I could just be saying that because I made the spell.) And I also changed his utimate "We serve not to kill, but to protect!" (Long name) into a different Heroic Strike. I took your ideas TheDeathstalker (Please don't call it stealing...), and made the newer Heroic Strike to work on... actually, mine is alot different from yours, well anyways, it works off unconditioned allies around himself... and the morale boost is awesome sounding also... (Then again, I could just be saying that because I made the spell.) Thanks Stalker for your ideas, and your helpful criticism! (Can I call you that?).

- BloodyMacabre
Last edited by BloodyMacabre on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
- BloodyMacabre

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:56 pm

Hallowed Warrior sounds way too generic. Look at the characters in the map already and notice how epic and unique each's title and name are. That's an important part of a character, you don't want to feel like you're just playing one of many.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Vinnam
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by Vinnam » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:49 pm

BloodyMacabre wrote:Thanks TheDarkstalker!
Its Death, fyi.
Trainer: Brendan Creed
ImageImageImage
Lineup: Noir & Batista

BloodyMacabre
Noobite Warrior

Post by BloodyMacabre » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:23 pm

Vinnam wrote:
Its Death, fyi.
Hey, people can make mistakes...
- BloodyMacabre

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Re: William Gillers, the Battle Crier

Post by TheDeathstalker » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:17 pm

BloodyMacabre wrote:
Vinnam wrote:
Its Death, fyi.
Hey, people can make mistakes...
lol Vin, I didn't even notice that myself when I read it... But hey, I can take someone misreading my name (and yes, I respond to Stalker and Death, or anything else that seemingly makes sense, although TDS never made a whole lot...) in exchange for someone who's willing to listen to criticism! You have no idea how useful a skill that is.

On point: I really like what you did with the skills. I was about to make a couple points about how the 3rd skill is useless as a first skill picked, but... it isn't. I am actually really impressed with it, it's got panache. It isn't a come out and slap you as a badass skill, but what it is is a solid skill that creeps up on you with effectiveness. And, dare I say, it trumps my entire hero just one post down from this. Well done.

Oh, and with regards to what Dusk said, he's a sucker for anything epic, and implores us to come up with as epic of names/titles/etc as possible. Try something literary, or something just over the top awesome. Battle Crier isn't bad, but you gotta spice it up. I can't think of an example right now other than Roc, the Moonlight Sonata (search for him, actually a really cool hero Dusk just whipped up on the spot), but things that just sound "fawesome" are the way to go. If I had to toss out a name for him, I'd go with... William Gillers, Eternity's Shout. Ok, so maybe I suck at this too, but a good place to start is to think not what he does, but perhaps what a nickname he'd acquire over time on the battlefield would be.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

Return to “Hero Suggestions”