Rixxus, the Voidbound Destroyer

If you have a hero to suggest for future versions of DoE, place your suggestion in some readable format in this forum.
Hell_Drake(HS)
Noobite Warrior

Rixxus, the Voidbound Destroyer

Post by Hell_Drake(HS) » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:18 pm

The hero would look like an Obsidian Statue with a ghostly Obsidian
Devourer (Destroyer?) sort of "tethered' to it via a purple lightning
effect. The spell animations would show the statue and the "ghost"
casting spells, and the Release spell would show the spirit fly into the
statue and break free.

Rixxus
Voidbound Destroyer
Strength; Bane.
The sound of a thousand thunderstorms tore the world asunder as
Rixxus entered the battlefield against the fools of the Order. Endless
nothingness swallowed legions of soldiers, leaving them dead and lifeless
in the terrifying realm of the Void. The Order immediately recognised
this threat, and without hesitation set in motion plans to turn about the
abilities of this beast...

As the last rune was drawn, the last incantation uttered, the
heroes of the Order watched from a safe distance as the nothingness
summoned by the horror that was Rixxus swallowed him whole, leaving no
trace of him behind. The Order felt they were safe from this terror, at
least for a short time.

He knew this was a powerful blow the Order had dealt to their
army. Such a blow would inevitably prove inconsequential, but for the
time being, a major advantage had been lost. No matter, for there are
such things that can circumvent even such a powerful magic as this. The
beast spoke to him, urging him to bring him back so that his slaughter may
continue, that his thirst for death could be quenched. The statue was
almost complete. Such a binding would not restore the beast to his full
potential, but it would at least give him an anchor to this realm. A
smirk drew itself across Vertejaune's face as he inscribed the last rune
into the statue that would bind Rixxus to this realm and serve as a
conduit for his powers. Their magics would prove useless against the
spell-strengthened obsidian. There will be no remorse, nor and mercy.
The Destroyer has been reborn.

Innate Skill
Release
  • Rixxus is, for all intents and purposes, a statue. As such, he moves rather slowly and is only able to attack at a short range. He is able to break free of his bonds and gain a 400 ranged, AoE attack, as well as increased mobility, but at the cost of 30 mana per second.
Level 1 Skill:
All-consuming Void (toggleable "arrow" skill)
  • While Released, toggle on to cause attacks to extend burn and ruin on targets for 2/2/3/3/4 seconds.
Level 1 Skill:
Obsidian Depths
  • Targets via an aoe target reticle... thingy. Opens up a black rift that extends Ruin on all enemies caught within by X seconds. Deals Y damage for each condition targets are suffering from while Released. Drains Z mana from targets while not Released.
Level 1 Skill:
Infernal Inscriptions
  • Activateable "stomp" ability. While not Released, increases spell resistance by X% and passes conditions on Rixxus to nearby enemies.

While Released, increases spell resistance by X%, but instead deals Y AoE damage for each condition Rixxus has, as well as purging them from his body.
Level 6 Ultimate:
Unstable Rift (Passive)
  • Reduces the mana consumption of Release by X mana per second, and, while Released, grants a Y% chance every second to strike a nearby unit that has Ruin on it with a miniature version of Obsidian Depths that deals AoE (think Frost Nova-ish damage, with the main target taking more) and further extends the Ruin by Z (probably 1/2/3) seconds.
I was very, VERY bored at work, and thought of this hero while doing
dishes. Yes, THAT much boredom. Haven't posted in awhile, so I felt it
necessary to give hero posting another shot. I mostly created it based off
the thought that the Obsidian Statue model has a lot of potential. Also, I think it'd be neat if a unit killed by Obsidian Depths just sort of disappeared from existence instead of playing a death animation. :p

EDIT: Well, the first version was overpowered, but, on a whim, I decided that there are very few heroes that use the Ruin condition very much, so I thought I'd give that a go. Also took Deathstalker's advice and made the skills more concise. Man, I remember back in the days when posting on AotZ's hero suggestions was a long and tedious task that involved much word...ness.
Last edited by Hell_Drake(HS) on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Akruta
Champion Noobite

Re: Rixxus, the Voidbound Destroyer

Post by Akruta » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:08 pm

Firstly I don't think that the innate adds much to the hero. Also Infenal Inscriptions seems rigged to me

Hell_Drake(HS)
Noobite Warrior

Post by Hell_Drake(HS) » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:33 pm

I'd had a good concept in mind when i started, and, as usual, can't make it seem like it's not just a gimmick. >.< Fixed Infernal Inscriptions, sorta, so it now restores mana and grants spell resistance, but is an offensive skill while Released. I was also thinking of doing a complete remake, making the statue the main hero, but having Release be the ultimate. I'd have to poke around with that idea a bit before I actually put it into action, though.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:33 am

Something that really helps to show the line between "gimmick" and "actually cool idea" is to have the skills be as succinct as possible. Yes, there *is* fluff to the skills, but that doesn't need to overwhelm the actual function of the skill. Look at other hero suggestions to see what I mean. For example, Obsidian Depths should probably read: "AoE Indicator. Deals X damage and blinds units. When released, deals an additional Y damage per condition on struck units." Other than that, i havn't analyzed the skills a whole lot yet, but I'm just gonna say I don't really like the idea behind the innate, having the hero just kinda meh unless he uses the innate, which would make him, by assumption, wtfpwn whenever he's using it, a dichotomy that just doesn't feel quite right.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

Hell_Drake(HS)
Noobite Warrior

Post by Hell_Drake(HS) » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:22 am

Ah. I've always been guilty of fluffing, heh. My English comp teacher tells me all the time. I'll try to cut down on the crap and rework the suggestions. I dunno why I do, this but for some reason I like to tweak suggestions until the finished product satisfies me. At this point, the idea is for the hero to be defensive while not Released, and offensive while Released. For example, while being attacked, you could pop Infernal Inscriptions to turn your foe's conditions back onto them, then Release and use Obsidian Depths for bonus damage. Alternatively, while pushing a lane, you could use Obsidian Depths to keep your foe drained of mana, to keep him repressed.

Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Soul_Reaver » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:57 am

You wouldn't necessarily require an Innate for this.

For example you could make Release the ultimate.
All skills do X and when your ultimate is on, they'd do Y too, even that would be better, then trying to give a hero an innate.

Hell_Drake(HS)
Noobite Warrior

Post by Hell_Drake(HS) » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:00 pm

That's what I said in response to your first post - that I shoulda just made it the ultimate. I'm still working on it, since I don't want to create another epic Symphony of the Night type ultimate where a hero just becomes imba by using his omgtransformz power. Unless it were toggleable... Hm...

Return to “Hero Suggestions”