Sarene, Mistform Arbiter

If you have a hero to suggest for future versions of DoE, place your suggestion in some readable format in this forum.
Black_Heart
Holder of the Alt-F4

Sarene, Mistform Arbiter

Post by Black_Heart » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:03 pm

Sarene
Mistform Arbiter
Intelligence; Order.
Story

The lieutenant led his squad forward. So far, they hadn't encountered much resistance, though from what he understood there was a camp just over the next hill. As they reached the base of the hill, however, the source of the lack of resistance became clear; there had been an ambush waiting. As baneites poured out of the forest behind him and over the hill in front of him, a mist began to drift through the trees. It engulfed the soldiers, and for a moment they could not even see the men at their sides; and then it cleared enough for them to see. The baneites, it seemed, were having more trouble – they swung blindly, only barely grazing a few men. Armed with this advantage, the soldiers managed to secure their victory even against the overwhelming odds.
Once the baneites had been dispatched, the mist drifted away from the soldiers and the condensed into a vaguely manlike shape.
"You who would stifle this war here... " a voice reverberated within the mist, "I lend to you my strength."
Innate:
Mist Shield
  • Active, Replaces Attack. Surrounds a target ally in a portion of Sarene's body. 50% of the damage they take is redirected to Sarene, and conditions applied to that ally have 50% of their durations applied on Sarene instead. Can only be active on X units (based on level) at a time. If a shielded unit is more than X distance from Sarene, Mist Shield ends.
Level 1 Skill:
Devouring Cloud
  • Active, Unit Target. All foes near target unit take X magickal damage. If targeted unit has Mist Shield, that unit is no longer shielded but any units killed within Y seconds of being struck by Devouring Cloud heal Sarene for Z life.
Level 1 Skill:
Body Split
  • Passive. Sarene takes X% less damage for every unit with Mist Shield. Damage redirected through Mist Shield is reduced by half of this amount. Maximum of Y% damage reduction.
Level 1 Skill:
Mist Blades
  • Toggleable Passive. While active, each Mist Shield deals X physical damage to a random nearby foe each second.
Level 6 Ultimate:
Aegis of Obscurity
  • Active, Unit Target. Consumes target unit's Mist Shield and replaces it with Aegis of Obscurity, extending blind on units near the target by X seconds every second. Target unit cannot have Mist Shield reapplied until Aegis of Obscurity ends.
EDIT: Okay, major skill overhaul. A couple of notes: I think Mist Shield should have a cooldown, but not too long of one - maybe 4-6 seconds, to prevent you from using the skills that consume and instantly reapplying it. Also, I have an alternative to the current Aegis of Obscurity, if you think it works better this way:
Aegis of Obscurity

Active, Unit Target. Consumes target unit's Mist Shield and replaces it with Aegis of Obscurity, granting target unit and all nearby allies X% evasion. Target unit cannot have Mist Shield reapplied until Aegis of Obscurity ends.
Last edited by Black_Heart on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image Image Image

Phox
Letter Linguist

Re: Sarene, Mistform Arbiter

Post by Phox » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:35 pm

I see minimal synergy, the innate seems tacked on, next to no condition use, and 4 active passives...

I mean, he's 100% about protecting people, right? And then he has a move that benefits him when there are corpses around. I mean, sure, but there's no reason for the corpses. Plus, he cannot do damage except by causing bleed. That's a maximum of 10 damage per second that needs another unit to be effective. So, basically, you're useless without an ally, and even then, you deal a pitiful amount of damage. And why the innate? It could easily be a standard skill. It seems like you only made it an innate so that you could make all four of your standard skills into active passives (why you would want to do this is beyond me; it works in very few cases). And, as I mentioned above, you have 2 condition-using abilities, which really don't contribute anything to the hero (aside from being his only method of attack...).

I mean, sure, you've got a support hero. But if you can do nothing by yourself, that's no fun. Especially when all you have to work with are active passives and a shield spell.

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Dusk hates useless non-innate innates more than true innates, of which serve as a fundamental basis for a Hero.

I can see a little synergy, but Support as a role always makes me squirm in some way. Although there is a defined theme to this Hero, something of a martyr, I don't think his third ability really fits. At the same time, the innate seems non-fundamental, except for the ultimate. I would rather see the third ability replaced by the innate, since in this case, the innate isn't really an innate.

-

I just saw the above. I forgot to mention the three active passive. This would make for a hyper-boring Hero.

Black_Heart
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Black_Heart » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:08 pm

Hmm, I knew I should have made all the skills interface with Mist Shield. I think he needs a reboot. Let me work on him a bit, and I'll see what I can do.

I was thinking of giving Mist Shield (either by default, or as a second skill) the ability to cause damage. Is that a decent idea? And if so, would it work better as a counterattack (instantly to a unit that attacks), or more resembling a unit's attack?

Anyway, I'll work on some new skills for him and see if I can improve him. Thanks for the input, guys.
Image Image Image Image

Black_Heart
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Black_Heart » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:52 pm

Okay, double post, but he's been updated now and has a little more synergy going, specifically with Mist Shield and his other skills, and now he has a better DPS move and more appropriate heal. Comments on the new version?
Image Image Image Image

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:29 pm

I'm still highly adverse to the innate. I just feel that the hero could do without.

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:00 am

Phox wrote:I'm still highly adverse to the innate. I just feel that the hero could do without.
This.

Reason being for me, Mist Shield is a support skill, which as an Innate, should (at least for me) define him as a support hero (even as a sub-role) yet all his skills are not focused on Support. Except for the Ultimate.
Its... its... a NEW SIG!! OMG!!

O_O"

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:18 am

LightburneR wrote:Reason being for me, Mist Shield is a support skill, which as an Innate, should (at least for me) define him as a support hero (even as a sub-role) yet all his skills are not focused on Support. Except for the Ultimate.
Honestly, I don't like it because it's not defining of the hero by it's very nature. The only reason that it is, is because there's a ton of forced synergy in all the other skills. Which is okay, because there's an innate, but it just feels forced overall, and not fluid like it should.

Return to “Hero Suggestions”