Azen Valk, the Silent Assassin

If you have a hero to suggest for future versions of DoE, place your suggestion in some readable format in this forum.
Black_Heart
Holder of the Alt-F4

Azen Valk, the Silent Assassin

Post by Black_Heart » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:53 pm

Azen Valk
The Silent Assassin
Agility; Bane.

Story
  • In all my years, I have never gone to war. I always preferred the shadows, striking down my enemies before they knew they were hunted. Yet now, I find myself in a much larger conflict, face to face with my foes... and I find that death is sweeter for it. There are always more to kill, and by the time we are finished here... no graveyard will be able to contain the spoils.
Level 1 Skill:
Last Kiss Goodbye
  • Preparation. Azen's next attack deals X bonus damage and transfers all conditions from Azen to the target.
Level 1 Skill:
Whisperwind
  • Activatable Instant. For X seconds, Azen is muted but gains Y (large) movement speed.
Level 1 Skill:
Flourish
  • Passive. Nearby units are stunned for X seconds whenever a condition ends on Azen.
Level 6 Ultimate:
Exploit Weakness
  • Active, AoE Indicator. Each unit in the target area is struck for X damage and has their maim and mute conditions extended by Y seconds plus the sum duration of all conditions that unit is already suffering from.
So, here he is. I think his skills need a bit of tweaking, especially the bonus effects from his ultimate, but I'm not sure exactly what they need. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

EDIT: Dusk rebuilt Azen centered around Whisperwind. The skills are his, the names are mine. He's been updated to this version. Older skills are here for reference:
Azen's Old Skills

Level 1 Skill:
Cloak of Blades
  • Active. Every second for X seconds, nearby enemies take Y (low) damage and have their maim condition extended by Z seconds. Extends Azen's bleed for 1 second each second.
Level 1 Skill:
Whisperwind
  • Activatable Instant. For X seconds, Azen is muted but gains Y movement speed.
Level 1 Skill:
Impale
  • Active, Unit Target, 400 Range. Target unit takes X damage, and takes Y% additional damage from Azen for Z seconds. Deals bonus damage to enemies already suffering from a condition.
Level 6 Ultimate:
Tools of the Trade
  • Active, Self Buff. For X seconds, Azen gains Y damage and an additional effect from each of his skills:
    Cloak of Blades: Deals bonus damage and extends cripple on struck foes for 1 second per second.
    Whisperwind: Mutes nearby enemies when activated.
    Impale: Warps Azen to his target and causes it to bleed.
Last edited by Black_Heart on Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Image Image Image Image

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Re: Azen Valk, the Silent Assassin

Post by SetaSoujirou » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:17 pm

I like how the hero seems to play out. Gogogo maim.
But how does Impale work to begin with, you use it from a distance? The tools of trade made it clear that it is ranged, but the skill doesn't actually say so.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Black_Heart
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Black_Heart » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:09 pm

Oh, yeah, I should specify that. It was intended to be short-ish range (maybe 400 or so). I actually thought of making it a blink strike by default but it seems more fun this way. I'll fix the skill description to specify that.
Image Image Image Image

Zantetsuken
Noobite Warrior

Post by Zantetsuken » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:31 pm

I wonder where you got his first name from.Image

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:00 am

I like how he plays his role as a hero killer of sorts.

Also, for Impale, you could also use Ruin rather than Y% increased damage, seeing as all his skills are likely to be physical. (If it produces the same effect, if not, forget I said it)
Its... its... a NEW SIG!! OMG!!

O_O"

Black_Heart
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Black_Heart » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:14 am

I thought about that, too, but something Dusk said on another hero was an interesting idea: The % bonus would stack with Ruin, if you had someone else who could apply it. Plus there's already so much ruining going on, the straight bonus damage would allow for better synergy with heroes like Jhita or Skittel. They ruin, you punch. But it could be Ruin, if that's the way everybody thought it would work better.

Oh, and his name was just an unfortunate coincidence. I didn't realize how similar it was until after I posted it. xD

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:23 am

Black_Heart wrote:They ruin, you punch. But it could be Ruin, if that's the way everybody thought it would work better.
Just my opinion so far.

Anyway, I'm still pretty fresh to the DoE concept (been around for just a while)

O_O"

Black_Heart
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Black_Heart » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:38 pm

Okay, something about Whisperwind just... bugs me. I think it needs to be changed, but I'm at a loss as to what to do with it. Does anybody have any ideas? It doesn't even necessarily have to resemble what it is now, I just... I feel like it's just there to be there. Any better skill ideas?
Image Image Image Image

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:51 pm

Ok, you don't like whisperwind, no problem, let me see what I can do...

First thing that needs to be done is to figure out what role this hero plays by looking at the other three skills.

Cloak of Blades: Maims and deals minor damage
Impale: Direct damage and increased damage afterward
Tools of the Trade: Bonus damage and give him the ability to cripple and blink strike.

I think what we've got here is primarily what I'd have to refer to as a combat disruptor. You've got enough skills hanging around to scare off just about anybody, in fact, I'd almost recommend Cloak of Blades have some effect other than Cripple with Tools of the Trade, as you almost counteract yourself by crippling the enemy. I know it's so that you can get hero kills, which is alright, but I see a much more unique and interesting role that this hero can fill, being able to swing into combat and essentially stop a push (Mass maim will do that, methinks). So, I'd probably say that if it were me deciding what Tools of the Trade gave Cloak of Blades, I'd say it should probably blind, rendering melee attacking just about completely useless (and it is a "cloak" after all). In fact, I'd probably change it even more so that instead of just straight bonus damage, it would deal some damage in a splash around units that get hit, some sort of "turbulence" in the cloak or something, have it do more damage to more units. Granted, this whole analysis more or less assumes it has the approximate AoE of.... maybe Kassar's ult? I dunno, but something large enough that it's not just those in melee range.

Oh, right, Whisperwind, yeah. So we've got someone who can run into the thick of combat and essentially stop it dead in it's tracks, as well as someone who can scare off a hero with Impale, so I'd probably use the Whisperwind skill slot to have some creative fun with the hero. I'm just gonna throw out a couple of random ideas in the hopes that I hit on something

Level 1 Skill:
Look, a Distraction!
Summons an invisible ward that casts provoke once every X seconds for Y seconds.
Tools Upgrade: Ruins provoked units for Z seconds

Level 1 Skill:
Shadowkill
Turns struck unit unbreakably invisible for X(static?) seconds. While invisible, Y unbreakably invisible clones of Azen are created which will attack only the unit.
Tools Upgrade: Each Clone deals Z bonus damage and last X seconds after the invisibility ends.

Level 1 Skill:
Tracer Dart
Fires a small dart in a line which deals X (tiny) damage to the first unit struck. This unit can now be instantly teleported to (not sure of the mechanics of how) any time in the next Y seconds.
Tools Upgrade: Allows for darts to be embedded in friendly barracks. These darts last Z seconds (much longer, 120 seconds or so?)

Meh, none of them are amazing, nor do they really synergize... You might just wanna wait for someone else to get a real idea. Either way, fun hero, and fun concept with the skills, even if it's probably not the one you were expecting from an assassin.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:37 pm

We were all in the channel talking about how powerful maim and blind are (Black_Heart was there) so I believe that's a no. I think it's more like wisp AoE for cloak, kassar's is GIANT.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:53 pm

Whisperwind (Remake): Active
  • Azen near-instantaneously tackles a target unit, dealing X damage. The speed and momentum are so great that Azen and the target are also carried off in a random direction by 1/2 of the distance Azen traveled to tackle the target. The target is muted for Y seconds, but Azen is muted for 1/2 that duration.
    Tools of the Trade Upgrade Effect: (Units within Z of both the target unit's tackle point and land point are also muted for 3/4 of the condition's duration.)
That's another idea, which helps with emphasizing incapacitation and support killings (which I feel is also another role for this Hero).

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:08 am

Whisperwind
Mutes yourself for X seconds. If you are the target of any spell whilst Muted in this way, transfer Mute from yourself to the caster.

O_O"

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:13 am

Only problems I see in those skills are that for Lightburner's, there's no actual advantage to using the skill, as you have a high chance of neutering yourself for as long, if not longer than you would an enemy, and for Hydrolisk's, is that so far as I can tell, there is no need for the knockback, and iirc unless there becomes a real niche for knockback in DoE, it probably won't be added. We're all still thinking though...
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:40 am

Perhaps if it also neutralized Magickal Damage taken while Muted?

O_O"

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:43 am

Well it's not like you can't make a variant of my idea without the knockback. Neither is it really knockback; it flies you off in a random direction for a conditional distance.

Return to “Hero Suggestions”