Geodus, Son of the Mountain

If you have a hero to suggest for future versions of DoE, place your suggestion in some readable format in this forum.
Sabertooth
Revenent of the Replies

Geodus, Son of the Mountain

Post by Sabertooth » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:07 pm

Geodus
Son of the Mountain
Strength; The Hallowed Order

The Sons of the Mountain. They are the trusted and respected justice-bringers of the mountain societies. Each and every one of their members strong enough to rip the tusks off of a mammoth, to absorb a projectile flung from a trebuchet with their abdomen.

These warriors are the bulwark of the mountain society. But when war arises, they embody the force of the mountain -- a force that is impossible go unnoticed.

Level 1 Skill:
Crusher
  • Geodus summons a boulder to fall upon the enemies in front of him, rolling forward for X distance dealing Y damage and ruining stricken enemies for Y seconds. (should have a fairly low cooldown, like 5 seconds.)
Level 1 Skill:
Form of the Mountain
  • (Toggle) Cripples Geodus while active and causes all attacks against him to trigger a shockwave around himself, dealing X% of his attack damage to nearby foes.
Level 1 Skill:
Intimidate
  • (Roar) Maims all enemies around Geodus for X seconds. For each condition an afflicted foe suffers from, the duration increases by Y.
Level 6 Ultimate:
Mountain's Guard
  • (Passive) Whenever Geodus receives a condition, he gains X second(s) of invulnerability. This effect can take place once every Y seconds.
I just felt like messing around trying to make a tanky character.
--Thanks to Deathstalker for the roll on Crusher, the revision on Form of the Mountain, and the change of Mountain's Guard to a passive.
Last edited by Sabertooth on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 12 times in total.

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Re: Geodus, Son of the Mountain

Post by LightburneR » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:59 am

I can see the general theme of a tanker forming behind this, with the Maim (Essentially taking less damage due to less attacks), Health Increase and temporal invunrablilty, however, I cannot possibly imagine how the character should be used to kill.

Every character should be able to kill, it's just a matter of how fast, risky or easy it is to acomplish. Characters like Sozen just run up and risk their necks with the enemy hero, and others like Arro have to rely on perfect timing and aim with a little bit of running/chasing in order to deal maximum damage. At best, I see this hero simply placing his 999 hp self into combat, dropping rocks left and right before using Invunrablilty to run out, and even then, he cannot kill. He only ... lives.

Also, I don't get why Strength of the Mountain should Maim, unless it has something to do with "enough to rip the tusks off of a mammoth".
Its... its... a NEW SIG!! OMG!!

O_O"

Sabertooth
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Sabertooth » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:18 pm

LightburneR wrote: Also, I don't get why Strength of the Mountain should Maim,
Story-wise, because he's incredibly strong and it's possible the force of his weapon clashing with others would break theirs. I think it fits better than any other condition.

Crusher's CD like I mentioned would be fairly short, allowing you to spam it providing you have enough mana. I don't see how he wouldn't be able to kill, though. Anyone in the game can kill.

VZManticoran
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by VZManticoran » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:42 pm

You realize there's already a passive move that gives +dmg and % chance to maim?
Image Image Image Image Image
--------Eli-------------Ben------------Alex----------Isabelle---------David----

Sabertooth
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Sabertooth » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:55 pm

Ahh, see, I thought Tornne's gave cripple (I can't tell the effects apart too good.)
I guess I'll think of a new skill, then.

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:53 am

Sabertooth wrote:Crusher's CD like I mentioned would be fairly short, allowing you to spam it providing you have enough mana. I don't see how he wouldn't be able to kill, though.
Hm, so you mean his only way of killing is to rely solely on Crusher?

O_O"

Sabertooth
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Sabertooth » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:35 am

LightburneR wrote:
Sabertooth wrote:Crusher's CD like I mentioned would be fairly short, allowing you to spam it providing you have enough mana. I don't see how he wouldn't be able to kill, though.
No, I mean that every hero in the game can kill another hero. But this guy isn't made to be a hero killer.

I've replaced Strength of the Mountain with Intimidate.

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Wha-? He maims all nearby enemies by standing there!? Unless, it has something to do with the "Roar" part?

Ok, what I meant by the kill part is this: Glyphe is a tanker based on what I know, but used appropriately, he can kill too. Someone like (Dark Archer what's her name) can kill too, but it is highly situational and she is more of a pusher. etc. etc. I could go on forever.

But my point is, even if you are focusing on a tanker role, your hero should not be just "tank tank tank", which is kinda what I think about when I see this hero. I think, I'll just throw out the 1st skill in a spammy fashion, get it to work with the 3rd, using the 2nd to live and the ultimate to escape.

There is no style or elegance behind it, at all. The skills are just individual gears working, and not gears turning to help a greater whole. Even if he is a tanker, he must have a way to kill, rather than just tank tank and tank because there is a limit of how much you can tank and that limit is your health. He can't just stand there and expect to... live, expescially when 999 heros are going to jump him at once (quite possible because you'll live long enough to have all 6 heros attacking you) with no way of attacking back.

Once again, using Glyphe, he mostly has damage spells, and hell, he is a seriously good tank even then, because all he has to do is stand there and viola! he kills, which is basically my idea of how a tank should kill.

O_O"

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:42 pm

LightburneR wrote:
You mean like Tornne can kill without using taint?

I don't see anything wrong with him, he can even self inflict conditions for his ultimate.
Please tell me how Mr Daggurnott is more offensive than this guy is. I've seen Mr Daggurnott sit and tank beyond no end, and doing very little besides shockwave (Which isn't all that offensive with a whopping 100 damage!)
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:41 pm

SetaSoujirou wrote:Please tell me how Mr Daggurnott is more offensive than this guy is. I've seen Mr Daggurnott sit and tank beyond no end, and doing very little besides shockwave (Which isn't all that offensive with a whopping 100 damage!)
Still more than spamming a giant rock over-head =/.

The second skill is the only skill that would allow you to self-inflict conditions on yourself to set you up for his ultimate btw <_<. Unless he likes getting hit by Trebutches? =/

O_O"

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:58 pm

LightburneR wrote: Still more than spamming a giant rock over-head =/.
I honestly did not understand what that's supposed to mean, emphasize please.

LightburneR wrote:The second skill is the only skill that would allow you to self-inflict conditions on yourself to set you up for his ultimate btw <_<. Unless he likes getting hit by Trebutches? =/
Look at Dis. He only has one self-inflicting condition, and he has a passive ultimate that activates on one! I don't see why every skill should connect to the ultimate, that's just a plus. I believe Genobee's ultimate doesn't unify any of his skills, but it sure is awesome and fits him.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:03 am

Ok, let's start us off with the basics of a tank. Threat and Survivability. You have to make the tank worthwhile to be attacked while at the same time making him able to take the punishment. So let's see how these apply to the hero.

Threats:
Crusher
Intimidate
(somewhat) Form of the Mountain

Crusher both damages and ruins, meaning if you hit them any more than once with it, you can cause some serious hurting, so that's a good threat there, however it has little help from anything else. Everyone hates Maim, so Intimidate is good, although it may just be a "keep away from him and let casters deal with it instead of melee", which would defeat the purpose of threat. Form of the Mountain gives him additional damage, which is nice, but again I think the Threat is too focused around melee units, and that rangers and casters would have no problem with this hero, while melee units would be at too great a disadvantage to bother.

Survivability:
Form of the Mountain (somewhat)
Mountain's Guard.
Intimidate

Ok, so Form of the Mountain adds health, which is useful to keep you alive until you use your ult, which is (somewhat) powered by Form of the Mountain. That's good, that makes him a threat more than for just 10 seconds every minute. Intimidate again boosts his survivability, as noted above. The main problem with this hero is that he's either gonna be killed or untouchable, so maybe Mountain's Guard is too much.

Now for the sugguestions:

Crusher: For some inexplicable reason, I love this skill. Yes, it's basic, simple, meh on the surface, but if you jazz it up just a smidge it becomes something fun and cool. Say when the boulder is summoned it is litterally just created right there in front of him, then begins rolling forward faster and faster (potentially with a curve left or right towards a targeted unit?). Either way, this makes it so a melee unit hitting you is gonna be in trouble in a big way, and a ranged unit will have to reconsider standing there and giving you a beating to avoid the huge-ass rock rolling their way. In this way, you've got a threat, and a big one at that. Whenever you're near, they have to stay on their toes or risk pain (again, the first one would sting, but any subsequent ones would be devastating due to the ruin). Despite my normal issues with what I'm about to say, I believe this skill works all by itself, and actually needs very little in the way of synergies, and that the rest of the hero should be spent in such a way as to flesh out what this doesn't do for him.

Form of the Mountain: Key early game for survival and melee threat. It has key weaknesses against ranged units and casters as your damage isn't gonna do much for you there, and while the extra health is nice, if you're unable to do anything about units that far out, you're gonna lose it fast. Yes, Crusher will do a lot to alleviate ranged pressure, but it can't do everything. So let's leave finishing this one up for later.

Intimidate: I know you're still working on making something work for this slot, but I don't think this is it. Again, I would like to put this skill off til after the Ultimate

Mountain's Guard: Serious stuff here dude... this is some serious stuff. Potentially 7X seconds of perfect tanking. Sadly, I feel this to be potentially too much. Being invulnerable for that long would allow you to just walk into a base and sit there wailing on a tower, ignoring anything and everything around you, which would be troublesome. However, there is a solution. What if, instead of having it be an active spell, it were a passive? Every time you are inflicted with a condition, you gain X (short) seconds of invulnerability, triggering a max of once every Y seconds per condition (as to prevent uber cheese from self conditioning items)? Having this would allow you to actively tank against foes the whole time, instead of having spiking tanking abilities.

Back to Form of the Mountain... Since we have an ult that triggers off of conditions, self conditioning is a good thing, but self ruin is odd, especially for a tank. Hows about this as a moderate duration, moderate cooldown spell that does the following:

Form of the Mountain: Cripples Geodus for the duration and causes all attacks against him to trigger a counter attack for X% of Geodus' damage. This counter is in the form of a shockwave through the ground, damaging the attacking unit and any unit struck by the shockwave as it travels.

Not bad, eh? With this you have a solution to ranged attacks AND another means to tear through melee units. Yes, you're crippled, and thus slow, but who cares, ranged units are getting attacked by you anyways, so there's no real loss here.

Back to Intimidate... Um... ok, back to what are we missing... We have a decent solution to ranged units, and a great solution to melee units, but very little for casters (as I'd assume we'd apply the invincibility from the ult after a spell hits, otherwise he might as well be spell immune). So we need this spell to do two things, first to work primarily against casters and second to self condition. Since knockdown would be too sweet a setup for Crusher, that's off the table (shame too), and we've already got cripple and ruin, so what else can we play with... Mute would be nice, but no real means to do so with rocks. Blind isn't any good against casters... meh... Ok, i'm going back on my word, it's time for a Crusher set up (I have no other ideas).

Mountain's Eyes(Activated Passive):
Blinds Geodus so long as this is active. Whenever an ability is used within R radius of Geodus, he is healed X if it is an ally and if it is an enemy they are damaged by Y and Crippled for Z seconds.

Essentially this is him using the earth as a guide to siphon off some of the energy of a spell, healing himself if it is an ally, or causing the earth to shoot up and cripple them if they are an enemy. It's not the best skill in the world, and hopefully someone else can think of something, but it's all I've got.

Hope this helps!
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:38 am

SetaSoujirou wrote:I honestly did not understand what that's supposed to mean, emphasize please.

Look at Dis. He only has one self-inflicting condition, and he has a passive ultimate that activates on one! I don't see why every skill should connect to the ultimate, that's just a plus. I believe Genobee's ultimate doesn't unify any of his skills, but it sure is awesome and fits him.
Death said it better than I ever could. A tank needs a level of threat, or else he would just be ganged upon by multiple heros at once.

+HP/Damage then a Ruin to turn yourself Invunrable is over-kill. Basically what I meant.

It causes him to "deflect" magickal damage (Makes some form of sense) to the caster, Muting them? (Due to the overcharge of energy)

Eh perhaps not. Too much Mute =X.

O_O"

Sabertooth
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Sabertooth » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:07 pm

Made some revisions, thanks to Death.

VZManticoran
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by VZManticoran » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:07 pm

Mountain's Guard seems a little too similar to Dag's passive, in my opinion. Also, Crusher just seems out of place. Falling boulder out of thin air what?
Image Image Image Image Image
--------Eli-------------Ben------------Alex----------Isabelle---------David----

Return to “Hero Suggestions”