Aurilius Omega

If you have a hero to suggest for future versions of DoE, place your suggestion in some readable format in this forum.
Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

Aurilius Omega

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:05 am

Aurilius Omega
Bringer of The End
Strength; Bane of Eternity.

The Tombreaver stood upon the hill...silent as death, twice as deadly...looking down upon the pitiful barbarian village.
He signaled the attack. His men moved forward, silent as their master, and proceded to lay waste. Even the powerful warriors of the barbarian tribes could do nothing against these troops...for they were the Reaper's personal guard, and knew no fear of death.

And yet still, there was one who resisted. A giant of a man, Wielding an axe most could barely lift with the ease of one lifting a feather. Casually he swung it, and a dozen banites died. And the Reapers guard, who feared not the blade, were afraid. For he was Death to them, as easily as their master was to others. Caliga ordered them back...and prepared his own blades.

Together and again they clashed! Twin blades meeting single Axe with a force beyond Men! Again and again they clashed! Truly this was a battle beyond mortals....Caliga stepped back, laid his seal upon the man, and left. He had earned the right to live.

Some time later, a newcomer came to the Baneite army. A giant of a man, wielding a huge Axe, who joined Caliga, and stood by his side. And those who knew him not were amazed. This was to be the End of the Order, and the End of all Living things.

Level 1 Skill:
Rip them to Shreds!
  • Passive active. As long as this is activated, Aurilius deals bonus dmg, and cleaves a percent of dmg. If he attacks a unit with a condition already, it is turned into either maim or cripple for the remaining duration.
Level 1 Skill:
Quake in Fear!
  • Delayed AoE dmg and Knockdown. Once this is cast, every two seconds a tremor is released that does dmg and knocks down for 1 second. Duration should increase with Level
Level 1 Skill:
Enduring Aura
  • Passive Aura. This aura boosts MS and AS of all units near Aurilius(including himself). If a unit under the effect of this aura inflicts, or is inflicted by, a condition then there is a %chance(a low chance, perhaps 10%, and does not include stun or knockdown) to have MS and AS boosted by a large amount for a few seconds.
Level 6 Ultimate:
The Beginning of the End
  • Dmg Boost and Area Annihilation. When cast, Aurilius gains a buff for a long duration that gives him a small boost to melee dmg. Once the buff ends, all nearby enemies are ruined, maimed, and crippled for a few seconds.
So...Here it is...This hero came about when I was playing an epic game the other day with Steve, who had used quite the epic taunt. It was "Come back here, I'll F**king END YOU!" or something to that likening. I liked this quote so much, I decided to design a hero around it. I think he turned out quite well...but that's not really my place to say is it?
Comments and Criticism(constructive of course) are much appreciated.
Last edited by Daryll-The-Damned on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pestilence :: Rocky the V :: Buz-Ze :: Zen :: The Kid:: Imperius

Steve
Revenent of the Replies
Location: Dropping lasers or meteors on some unfortunate bystander... what?

Re: Aurilius Omega

Post by Steve » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:42 pm

You ripped off my taunt... thing!

Epic story though. *edits in comments later*
The enemy are in disarray, ride them down as they run
Send them to their violent graves, don't spare anyone
Dead and wounded lie all around, see the pain in their eyes
Over the field an eerie sound, as we hear the raven's cry

Pigger
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Pigger » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:08 pm

Hmm...
(Avoids pointing out Caliga probably wouldn't have a personal guard, he's more of a loner)

But onto the hero!:

The skills are nice and all on their own, but I see very little synergy with each other. I mean, the first skill is really nice, but once he attacks for a second time then the unit he attacks is now afflicted with maim, ruin, or cripple, which is utterly unfair to be able to cripple merely by attacking, more so if the units hit by cleave are affected by the bleed/conditioning.

Second skill, whoa, it reminds me of Kassar's original ultimate a bit, except yours is active cast, imbalar! It doesn't really seem to do anything with his other abilities, besides raping ofcourse.

Third and fourth are where I saw some synergy, but it feels very general. I mean yea, you go in with your first skill active, toss up your ultimate, and then your passive allows major rape-age, but it all seems like you need to do it in a specific way else nothing works. Personally I'd say good synergy would look like ability 1 works one way with ability 2, and another with #3, and another with the ulti, but they can each go about creating different play styles n shtuff, dunno if that makes sense...

Its a good hero, he'd rape shit utterly, he's not too passive, but he edges towards that a bit.

Ofcourse my opinion may mean nothing seeing as my hero suggestions probably have less synergy than yours :D

Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:23 pm

Alright I see your points...Let me explain.

You have forgotten to take Mana into account, since the first skill drains mana it can't be used for an extremely long amount of time, and if its still an issue you can increase the mana drain. Also, it changes the condition itself, meaning if you have bleed, and he hits you, then that bleed would turn into either cripple maim or ruin. And if he hits you again with it active, both the bleed and the other condition both change. Now this can be very good if you're lucky, or do nothing at all. It also puts forth the question "Do i want to keep it on for the bonus dmg and bleed, or does the guy already have a condition that's useful and I don't want to change it." (oh and it doesn't give the bleed condition to units hit by the cleave)

As for the second, it's a simple spell that helps him get into position with his other abilities, and contrary to popular belief, not all spells must be exactly within the confines of the hero's theme...And as for the balance issue, the dmg would be fairly small, and the AoE as well, not to mention once again the issue of his mana pool.

As for his ulti...timing is required here, because the buff is supposed to last for a good while, maybe 10 seconds or so. Unless you can find some way to keep the enemy in your AoE(which should also be fairly small) until it hits, it won't be much more then a small bit of extra dmg.

And once more, Maim and Blind both would rape his hero utterly.

Leprikhan
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Leprikhan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:55 pm

It's too attack based. When making ANY hero, you need to do more then just something that makes your attacks better. Most heroes, unless based on an abstract concept, should be based around one or two conditions. Giving him 4, including cripple AND knockdown, is a bad idea.

Frankly, it's just overpowered. Cripple and Maim wouldn't do much anything to this guy (blind likely would, though; but how many heroes on order even HAVE that?). Boosting attack damage, giving him ruin and ridiculous attack speed, knockdown and cripple, increased movespeed if he takes a mere bleed; not very fair.

Changing conditions is also a big no-no. This is a flat out de-synergy with other teammates, and thats no good at all.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." -MLK Jr.

Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:27 pm

...Where the hell are you getting this from.

First of all, a vast majority of heros can cause large amounts of conditions...though it is true that most of those are on bane.

Secondly, what is this "it's to attack based". As long as the hero is fun, does that really matter? In my opinion, his skills are interactive enough that he doesn't feel like too much of a passive hero, though he does rely on his attack.

Third, His own physical attack IS his "abstract concept" so to speak, I figured you could see that from his story and skills.

Fourth...Synergy is more then just Condition interaction, Lep. Notice, how he can only inflict cripple with his first skill by random chance, and then only if they are suffering from another condition.

Now, Enduring aura is...debatable. I never said exactly how much it would be boosting his AS and MS by did I? In fact, I failed to mention that this persons MS and AS are to be very slow to begin with, with Enduring aura increasing it to slightly above average, if that.

Leprikhan
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Leprikhan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:51 pm

When I talked to you in the channel, this is what I wanted to avoid. I'm simply not in the mood to "explain" or "discuss" today, my apologies. You have my feedback on the hero; what you do or don't to act on that is entirely up to you.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." -MLK Jr.

Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:12 am

All I'm saying is, most of those arguments seem weak, like you were just throwing them out there to say "something is wrong here"

Except for the one about the attack speed and move speed, that was my fault for not mentioning it, and is a legitimate problem.

Echonian
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Echonian » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:18 am

Good hero concept. A hero that does great in melee, similar to how Sozen or Anick work, but with more interaction, is great. A lot of the spells seem a bit complex though... overall it seems a bit much. Of course, there are more complicated heroes or ones just as complex, and the concept is what should matter.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Leprikhan
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Leprikhan » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:30 am

Alright, I'll take a little time to respond;
"As long as it's fun" When is a fully-attack based hero ever fun? I personally have never been a fan of them.

"Physical attack" is not an abstract concept. Putting a bunch of buffs onto a default attack is not technical or abstract. How you would play this hero is Click ability, click ability, click ability, right click hero. You get cripple, you get knockdown, you get bleed, probably ruin too. And if you've got a condition? Whee, extra movespeed. How is that fair or fun?

I wasn't talking about synergy with the hero itself. I meant synergy as a TEAM: Tornne uses taint, person is crippled. You run up and use first ability, cripple becomes maim, allowing hero to escape. Tornne walks over to you and breaks your kneecaps.

Also... how does it make sense to have an ability that both causes bleed and causes conditions to units with conditions? You're giving the hero a SINGLE ABILITY that allows him to apply FOUR CONDITIONS. Ouch.

Steve
Revenent of the Replies
Location: Dropping lasers or meteors on some unfortunate bystander... what?

Post by Steve » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:31 am

Although many heroes can apply many conditions incredibly fast.

4? Ow.
The enemy are in disarray, ride them down as they run
Send them to their violent graves, don't spare anyone
Dead and wounded lie all around, see the pain in their eyes
Over the field an eerie sound, as we hear the raven's cry

Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:25 am

Mmm

Very well.

I changed the first skill, to cause less conditions.

I disagree, however, with you're point about melee heros not being "Fun"

I always had fun with the Dwarf in Aotz(as I'm sure other people have), and this character is similar, in a fundamental way.

Leprikhan
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Leprikhan » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:11 pm

Ah, but the dwarf does have something of an abstract concept; he powers up the longer he stays in combat. What makes the hero fun is working him into an unstoppable killing machine.

With that, I think I excuse myself from the thread for now. However, I want you to remember two things; understand that even if I like a hero, I probably won't try to post positive things about it. I'm only trying to help you improve the hero. Secondly and much more importantly; the most important thing that gets a hero accepted is not design, or synergy, or even a decent story. What gets a hero accepted more often then anything else is a kickass gameplay mechanic. You can pump out hero after hero, but what makes an idea worth making is something totally unique and awesome.

Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:07 pm

Whatever, I just made this hero because I thought that taunt was epic, and inspired me to make a hero based on it.

At the current moment, I don't really care if it gets accepted, since I just made it for fun.

Dragon_Sentinal
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Dragon_Sentinal » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:52 pm

The Tombreaver stood upon the hill...silent as death, twice as deadly...looking down upon the pitiful barbarian village.
He signaled the attack. His men moved forward, silent as their master, and proceded to lay waste. Even the powerful warriors of the barbarian tribes could do nothing against these troops...for they were the Reaper's personal guard, and knew no fear of death.

And yet still, there was one who resisted. A giant of a man, Wielding an axe most could barely lift with the ease of one lifting a feather. Casually he swung it, and a dozen banites died. And the Reapers guard, who feared not the blade, were afraid. For he was Death to them, as easily as their master was to others. Caliga ordered them back...and prepared his own blades.

Together and again they clashed! Twin blades meeting single Axe with a force beyond Men! Again and again they clashed! Truly this was a battle beyond mortals....Caliga stepped back, laid his seal upon the man, and left. He had earned the right to live.

Some time later, a newcomer came to the Baneite army. A giant of a man, wielding a huge Axe, who joined Caliga, and stood by his side. And those who knew him not were amazed. This was to be the End of the Order, and the End of all Living things.
Ok, lets go in order here.

1 Caliga doesn't control an army any banite/voidwalker that follows him does so of their own free will.
2 Reaper's Guard? Are you implying that Caliga has a group of elite warriors he uses to defend himself?
3 Again he doesn't control anyone if your hero was ABSURDLY strong he might see him as a worthy opponent and demand that he be the one to fight him.
4 Caliga's Oblivion Seal is used in combat to mark his target.. sort of like saying YOUR NEXT! He wouldn't use it on someone and then just leave.

About the hero itself... well its all been said areready but turning a target's conditions into cripple/maim just seems like It could ruin other hero's plans as much as it could work out efficiently. Also there would be a chance to rack up a 20+ second cripple passively.
I weep, I weep at my own idiocy, my favoritism, for the end of an era, the fall of a giant, I weep for the lost souls who rested upon it's shoulders, who found themselves beneath it's girth, for those who stand over the fallen behemoth refusing to let it die, I weep, for all who found safety and comfort in it's shadow and for all who depended on it's watchful gaze, in this world full of malice, in this world full of suffering, chaos and hatred... I weep

Return to “Hero Suggestions”