Dis, Elemental Spawn (Ultimate)

This is where all bug reports or hero complaints regarding DoE should be made. Whether you have an issue with balance or an exploit to shed light on, this is the place to put it.
Sabertooth
Revenent of the Replies

Re: Dis, Elemental Spawn (Ultimate)

Post by Sabertooth » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:36 pm

Dusk, I think my friend was in that game. Wolfos.
You probably raped him in the process of acquiring 30 kills, unless he was on Order.

Nevrus
Noobite Warrior

Post by Nevrus » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:56 pm

I find Dis to be a "fly on the wall" until the item combination the OP mentioned is achieved, at which point the silences he receives for blowing himself up (and only doing as much as one auto attack of a level 11 Jhita in the process...) don't mean anything, because the passive ultimate lets him run out and begin attacking everything in sight, easily amassing 20+ spitfire elementals in the process. Once you can do that, his other abilities become moot. Why burn half his life away with Heartburn when he could just spawn an army with auto-attacks? Why completely eradicate him with his suicidal explosion when that could have been 12 spitfires? And why even try to heal him when his heal hurts his low health pool for 120 after his life draining?

It's the safe way to go to specialize on his ultimate. And with a character that has either completel self-destruction or relatively safe army amassing as options, everyone reasonable would go with the latter options.

His equation of damage doesn't work out. He hurts his enemies just as much as he hurts himself- but he has less health than all of his enemies, and thus he usually self destructs (resulting in a 30 second time-out) only to force an enemy to go to the nearest fountain. Even if you somehow found a wounded enemy hero, if they use any sort of move against Dis that's game over for him because of how much he hurts himself.

No matter where I go, I don't offer unconstructive criticism. So, here's how I'd suggest you fix Dis.
Suicidal explosion ability: Make it do half as much damage to Dis as everyone else. This is because his pool of health is too fragile to usually consider this an option. So, make him take less damage from it and it suddenly becomes a more viable option, as the % of health lost by him and his enemies becomes more proportional. A character with 1600 health laughs as the character with 750 health burns a third of his life to hit him with what amounts to an eight of theirs.

Consuming Flames: The fact that this is supposed to be a heal is laughable, considering how it always ends in hurting him. Its true function seems to be akin to the suicidal explosion ability: to go out in a blaze of glory. Unless you're surrounded by a great many enemies who each have a great many conditions, it's not even that damaging. Usually it results in Dis being just weak enough for an enemy hero to pick him off. I'd suggest reducing the burn on Dis to three seconds, thus only hitting his relatively low health pool for 60, which is much more managable.

Heartburn: 320 damage to give his own damage a minor increase? GTFO. And then to maintain that increase he needs to be taking 20 damage a second. That's just a death and faction payout to enemies waiting to happen. I'd suggest you change its bonus conditions from him needing to be burning to an enemy near him needing to be burning, with increasing AoE for both burning enemies for increasing 2 seconds and counting burning enemies towards getting this bonus. Also, make it so it burns him only while he channels it. Right now it just hurts where it counts, his tiny little health pool, while offering relatively little in terms of worthwhile bonuses. That 30 damage doesn't mean anything if he can only get off one attack before a single thwack sends him to the afterlife.

I still love what you do, Dusk, but everyone makes mistakes and balance is a tricky thing to achieve.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:08 pm

Nevrus, I remember you as a level 6 Fahren that fed :roll: . I Don't think you realize that you aren't supposed to rush heroes. And there are plenty of other ways, aside from what I've mentioned, to dominate with him.

Note: Giant walls of text = Bad.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Flameboy
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Flameboy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:20 pm

Arcane wrote:Yes, single target abilities really rape Dis early game. At least you can dodge everything else...
He is a really fun hero to play however.
The problem is 1.09 brought many undogeable attacks. Look at tristan, for example. Volley is now undogeable where crossfire could be dodged. The lightning for the guy is way too quick to be dodged. Jihta's +80 dpa is undogeable. Where is the gamew where so few skills were just clicking?

VZManticoran
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by VZManticoran » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:22 pm

Um... Dude... Dis is freaking amazing. His self-explosion is for crippling enemies, and then using the heal, which heals 80 hp per unit hit from the self-explosion. The third skill is as much to summon massive amount of summons as the damage, and with a -burn item it might not last as long, but it deals TINY amounts of damage. If you get Last Rites, it also causes only about 10 dmg a second, which can EASILY be healed with the heal spell.
Image Image Image Image Image
--------Eli-------------Ben------------Alex----------Isabelle---------David----

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:25 pm

It's not that hard to dodge a bolt if you just turn around, or not go in a linear path. (Like so many people do)

But the problem most people have with his explosion is that they don't heal after it.
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

snakehawk37
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by snakehawk37 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:21 am

Besides, according to Dusk, his explosion is physical damage. You can reduce it with +armor items and sanctuary (If I remember what he said correctly)

"It's not that hard to dodge a bolt if you just turn around, or not go in a linear path. (Like so many people do)"

har har - I love people who run in straight lines

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:26 am

Nevrus wrote:I find Dis to be a "fly on the wall" until the item combination the OP mentioned is achieved, at which point the silences he receives for blowing himself up (and only doing as much as one auto attack of a level 11 Jhita in the process...) don't mean anything, because the passive ultimate lets him run out and begin attacking everything in sight, easily amassing 20+ spitfire elementals in the process. Once you can do that, his other abilities become moot. Why burn half his life away with Heartburn when he could just spawn an army with auto-attacks? Why completely eradicate him with his suicidal explosion when that could have been 12 spitfires? And why even try to heal him when his heal hurts his low health pool for 120 after his life draining?
I went 30-26-5 with only Sanctuary, Carapace, and Last Rites. The truth is that you don't need Drakescale or Firebrand, that's a matter of taste, I was very much content healing myself 10 health everytime I self-inflicted burn. Also, you seem to forget that Spitfire Elementals at max level deal 18-22 hero damage, which is reduced 66% by fortified armor and is good against nothing.

They are bugged though, those elementals are accidentally condition immune when they shouldn't be. I'll fix that, though.
Nevrus wrote:His equation of damage doesn't work out. He hurts his enemies just as much as he hurts himself- but he has less health than all of his enemies, and thus he usually self destructs (resulting in a 30 second time-out) only to force an enemy to go to the nearest fountain. Even if you somehow found a wounded enemy hero, if they use any sort of move against Dis that's game over for him because of how much he hurts himself.
Actually, not true. It deals somewhere between half of the actual damage to the actual damage to himself depending on my mood when I was creating the hero. :p
Nevrus wrote:Suicidal explosion ability: Make it do half as much damage to Dis as everyone else.
It already does, I just lie in the tooltip in order to make it shorter.
Nevrus wrote:Consuming Flames: The fact that this is supposed to be a heal is laughable, considering how it always ends in hurting him.
Uh.... It is perhaps the most imbalanced skill in the game. It steals, at max level, 40 life from all nearby foes FOR EACH CONDITION they are suffering from. On a normal creep wave of 5 units, if you use the first skill (Which cripples AND maims for 3s), you can gain 40*2*5 life back. Somehow 400 life is not negligible, even considering you burn yourself (Spawning a mini). This is also not factoring in that with heartburn you can toss in burn, for an extra 40*5 life back.

Heartburn probably isn't the most useful spell ever, but it's freakin' awesome as a catalyst for the ultimate, so I wouldn't change that part for the world. I might redo it a bit, but the functionality of the spell won't ever be changing.
Nevrus wrote:I still love what you do, Dusk, but everyone makes mistakes and balance is a tricky thing to achieve.
Your post meant a lot more to me without this line. Dis is not a "mistake," nor is he horribly "imbalanced" and I'm hurt that you think so (And am tempted to post the picture of my 30-26-5 game with him again). If you want me to show you how Dis works, I'd love to open up a can of awesome and show you some things you clearly didn't know. :)
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:00 pm

Yeah...I have to agree here, Dis (along with the new Rose) has to be the most interactive and interesting hero's I've seen in DoE to date.

Not that I'm bloody good with him, but he's always a blast to play as lol.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pestilence :: Rocky the V :: Buz-Ze :: Zen :: The Kid:: Imperius

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:27 pm

Lol, i like Dis, just went 24/17/3 with him. (Although it was a pubbie smash) Also, I used mass armor with crystalline band/sanctuary. (Yes, the first time I've gotten anything other than boots from that shop in a LONG time.)
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Greenspawn
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Greenspawn » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:23 pm

Dis is awesome late game. Stop with the hate already!
Math is # |e^iπ|
"I can't imagine getting hit by a giant rock and not being maimed or crippled or ruined" -Dusk

Logue: Please replace the toilet paper when you use it all. For some reason my 5 year old son believes if it's not there he does not have to wipe.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Either his spitfire elemental spawns should be smaller, or Dis should be larger.

I have problems finding Dis in the sea of those spitfires, maybe it's just me :P.

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:47 pm

That's probably intentional, given his low HP.

Psiclone
Location: As you can see from my avatar, I'm currently on the run from a--OH MY GOD!

Post by Psiclone » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:52 pm

I actually have the same problem. Besides, it would be funny for hordes of tiny little Spitfires to swarm an enemy base.
Intellectuals are like the Mafia; they only kill their own.
-Woody Allen -
ImageImageImageImageImage

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:24 pm

I'm wondering how many people number their heroes, or use the F1 button...
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Return to “Hero Reviews & Bug Reports”