Meridia

This is where all bug reports or hero complaints regarding DoE should be made. Whether you have an issue with balance or an exploit to shed light on, this is the place to put it.
Separation
Noobite Warrior

Re: Meridia

Post by Separation » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:07 am

I am actually for the random conditions on the arrows. I feel that it is nice idea that could work and add versatility to Meridia. As stated earlier, if you are in a bad situation and hope for cripple or blind and you get bleed or burn: mute won't always save you either. If it's a multiple person gank or something, mute especially won't always save you. I think random conditions would buff her more as a hero.

And if Meridia just goes the "movement speed attack speed right click" build, she will most likely fail. You should use all of the abilities at the hero's disposal, same thing with Jhita. Although massive attack speed is nice, I for one wouldn't just auto activate Stiffling Arrows and hope to kill something. Her role isn't to do that. I guess it's all how the player uses the hero, and how good and bad the results are. But that goes for everything, so that goes without saying.

If Meridia's other spells (like KoD being only 20 mana) 20 or 40 mana for Stiffling Arrows won't be a problem, because she will most likely have a lot left over or some to spare. I also think you guys are underestimating random bleed or burn, it can be used to harass heroes or finish off a hero you're chasing or something (if you inflict it, that is).

One last thing, you should never rely your survivability on chance. You shouldn't charge into a group of enemies with Rikter and hope that you'll get a bunch of crits and walk out with 10 hp (or if I'm being chased, I don't expect to kill the heroes with crits). Same with Atrius, you shouldn't go in with 10% hp and just think you'll permabash someone and walk away. So I 100% would not expect Stiffling Arrows inflicting random conditions to save me all the time, as I stated earlier, the default mute doesn't always save you. If you die, you probably got yourself into a silly situation in the first place anyway.

But that being said, while I would not rely on the arrows to simply save me or kill a hero I'm chasing, I would use them for many other purposes.
An ability that can cause random conditions seems against DoE's condition system.
Can you explain further? I'm having trouble making sense of that. The system and it's buffs are not being changed, a spell is.

Anyway, sorry for text wall, first post and all.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:04 am

Oxygen wrote:None said you couldn't have them extend if you had the same one twice 8D
I did, because then creating infinite cripples, mutes, ruins, or whatever is too easy to do. (Remember crown)
Separation wrote:As stated earlier, if you are in a bad situation and hope for cripple or blind and you get bleed or burn: mute won't always save you either.
But at least the mute is reliable, so you know what you're paying for.
Separation wrote:I also think you guys are underestimating random bleed or burn, it can be used to harass heroes or finish off a hero you're chasing or something (if you inflict it, that is).
All of which would be valid points, except for the fact that you cannot rely on applying them when you need to, thus you cannot use the random condition as a means to "finish people off" or "harass."
Separation wrote:Can you explain further?
It's not against DoE's condition system, I just really don't think it'll be nearly as great as the "for"s are making it sound.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Nowaki
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Nowaki » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:23 pm

I think Dusk's tweaks for the next patch are good enough.

I just secretly wish Gravenova was a little less mana costy, costing around 60~70 mana. Meridia has a very small mana pool compared to other INT heros, and she rellies alot on having corpses at disposal to use the skills — Kiss of Death is pretty much the 'essence' spell of her — and you will be getting no corpses at your disposal if you do not control the creepwaves and be constantly pushed back to defense.

While Meridia is a good harassing hero early game, you lose effectiveness as the game goes on and your enemies get stronger. You'll find yourself casting 3~4+ skeletons buffed with Gravenova (100ish+ mana each) to kill creepwaves against heros like Arro, Stille, Aurea, Parh, Dis, Sozen, Fahren, (...) — some Order heroes will be able to nail your creep wave without spending half of the mana you did.

If you keep the constant flux of gravenovas coming, you'll have bodies at your disposal, but that'll dry your mana pool so fast you'll be running to your fountain before you reach your enemy base. And, if your opponent gets a big wave incoming at you, you'll have a tough time defending, as you won't have corpses when the opponent arrives.

Whatever happens to her, <3 Meri. rawr!
In the meadow of sinful thoughts every flower is a perfect one

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:43 pm

Everyone seems to negate the usefulness of Beyond the Grave in all aspects of her playstyle. At max hero level, Beyond the Grave will let skeletons hit enemy heroes in 1v1 and never die.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:02 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote:Everyone seems to negate the usefulness of Beyond the Grave in all aspects of her playstyle. At max hero level, Beyond the Grave will let skeletons hit enemy heroes in 1v1 and never die.
Who fights skeletons if they have grave nova on them?

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Isn't that the best kind of skill dichotomy? Either you end them early so they don't smack you at the cost of an early explosion, or you tank it and hope to escape the explosion. That's the entire beauty of it.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:46 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote:Isn't that the best kind of skill dichotomy? Either you end them early so they don't smack you at the cost of an early explosion, or you tank it and hope to escape the explosion. That's the entire beauty of it.
amazing on paper, you're right

Nowaki
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Nowaki » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:10 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote:Everyone seems to negate the usefulness of Beyond the Grave in all aspects of her playstyle. At max hero level, Beyond the Grave will let skeletons hit enemy heroes in 1v1 and never die.
It's good on theory, but while some heroes can just blow the skeletons away easily like Sozen, Glyphé and Kassar, the rest can just chose not to fight the skeletons, and they'll die/expire as they chase.

Genobee can "work with his army" alot easier than Meridia, mainly because it's hard to keep a reliable amount of skeletons by your side: the skeletons lasts only 30 seconds. Many times I've seen my army expires while I am chasing or trying to block someone.
In the meadow of sinful thoughts every flower is a perfect one

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:34 am

Oxygen wrote:amazing on paper, you're right
Prior to the nerf, worked great in practice too. It was kind of unfortunate that I was the only person to use it at all, though.

TwilightDreamer
Noobite Warrior

Post by TwilightDreamer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:26 am

I must say I've never used Beyond the Grave when playing Merida.
Like. Ever. >.<

I just didn't see the point in having such minuscule lifesteal on skeletons that die usually in a couple of seconds anyways - especially at the expense of my precious mana.
Image Image Image Image

pandamanar
Revenent of the Replies

Post by pandamanar » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:49 am

Agreed. I've never used Beyond the Grave. It just seems pointless to try to sustain a summon whose job is to die, and who lasts 30 seconds anyway...
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4c242dfce214c
Play League of Legends, get to level 10 and I get buffs.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:13 am

pandamanar wrote:Agreed. I've never used Beyond the Grave. It just seems pointless to try to sustain a summon whose job is to die, and who lasts 30 seconds anyway...
Who gave you access to my personal diary? I'd use the spell if it was anick-type life leech (where the life leeched is also lost) PER conditions on the target, which would amazingly synergize with a certain new stiffling arrows... ehehe...

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:13 am

The point is to make them less killable in the timeframe that they are alive, allowing them to actually do some damage on their own. They die, they explode, they live, they own someone. I can't believe no one understands the logic of "It hurts someone really, really fast with their ridiculous attack speed and then they die and hurt even more." You're not trying to keep them alive, you're making them more deadly and more present while they are alive. You still cast GNova on them and still want them to die.
Oxygen wrote:I'd use the spell if it was anick-type life leech (where the life leeched is also lost)
It IS!
Rising_Dusk wrote:It is life drain, which results in healing. Basically, X life is removed from the struck foe and added to your own life.
And dude --
Oxygen wrote:PER conditions on the target, which would amazingly synergize with a certain new stiffling arrows... ehehe...
News flash: you're not clever. I thought of that too, and discarded it because 4 skeletons stealing 50 life per attack per 1/3 second doesn't interest me as a person who also has to consider balance. It already steals plenty.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:07 am

Rising_Dusk wrote: News flash: you're not clever. I thought of that too, and discarded it because 4 skeletons stealing 50 life per attack per 1/3 second doesn't interest me as a person who also has to consider balance. It already steals plenty.
I was merely restating your own theorycrafting back when you were babbling about meridia in the channel a year ago. Of course it isn't "clever". I just find sad that you ditched such a sweet double synergy because of a moment of blurred vision of doe's reality. It's not often that you get one skeleton, let alone any more, beating on a hero for an extended (3 seconds or more) period of time, making your entire logic concerning the amazing damage that the combo would provide flawed. And as you have shown last patch, numbers can always be tweaked if something feels too strong.

I'm done talking about meridia forever, I gave my ideas and explained my points, it's your map, do whatever, I just think you're passing on a real nice concept with not randomizing stiffling arrows and btg's current incarnation

2-P
Revenent of the Replies

Post by 2-P » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:13 am

I used Beyond the Grave, just not very often. There were a few base sieging situations (no enemy aoe dude who instantly tears your skeletons apart) where it was pretty damn awesome. It's just that I have it turned off like... 95% of the time because it never appeared very useful to me outside of base attacking situations. If you keep it on during the push you end up without mana when you actually reach the enemie's base.

Anyway, waiting for the next version. I want to try a no-grave nova mery a few times and if beyond the grave still bothers me I'll let you know. ^^
Humans don't have the patience to wait even ten minutes for something!

Return to “Hero Reviews & Bug Reports”