Voidwalk

This is where all bug reports or hero complaints regarding DoE should be made. Whether you have an issue with balance or an exploit to shed light on, this is the place to put it.
SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Re: Voidwalk

Post by SetaSoujirou » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:46 am

Hehe. Totally gonna use that quote when people whine in-game. Win.
And backdooring to me is a valid tactic. Would you rather have a stalemate or just freakin' lose/win?
Backdooring in DotA is a whole different story... considering a) There are no teleports in DoE, b) Caliga breaks buildings like a BEAST, and c) Death is a lot harsher of a penalty in DotA
You know that when you have an hour and 10 minute game, and you've been backdooring, that lameness will pursue anyway.
Honestly, if makers didn't want backdooring to occur, you can implement so many penalties for doing it, that if you fail, you lose the game.
Like the saying goes, all is fair in love and war.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:14 am

I'm against the idea of backdooring because of what happens AFTER a game.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:43 am

Loki wrote:I'm against the idea of backdooring because of what happens AFTER a game.
That, was made of pure win.
Its... its... a NEW SIG!! OMG!!

O_O"

snakehawk37
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by snakehawk37 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:13 pm

It really depends on the map. When I played ToB, no one ever complained about backdooring. It was seen as a legit strategy, and often the only way to win in some situations.

I feel the same way about DoE: it is relatively hard to actually backdoor since heroes can not kill towers in 5 hits. However, I tend to not do it in DoE because so many people whine about it, which is quite unfortunate because they do not realize the additional layer of strategy it adds.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:56 pm

Backdooring is usually only used during a stalemate, and even if it isn't, it's still a legit tactic.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:38 pm

Really only Caliga can efficiently BD alone, Anick to an extent. Sure, it's a 'sissy' tactic, but that's one less person on defense, take advantage over that. (Or however many are going to BD, which seems silly)
I'm sure when 'backdooring' happens in real life, you don't go like "Eff that, it's freaking rigged." You deal with it. Sorry games are srs business.
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:32 am

SetaSoujirou wrote:I'm sure when 'backdooring' happens in real life, you don't go like "Eff that, it's freaking ribbed." You deal with it.
Fixed.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:21 am

I don't get it.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Merlin
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by Merlin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:45 am

Textured condom joke, I think...

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Oohhh.... I wasn't thinking of backdooring in the right context, I got it now.

VZManticoran

Post by VZManticoran » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:25 pm

Off the topic of backdooring... I believe that Caliga, as is, is too powerful, and Voidwalk is the reason why. He has no slow, and even if Haunt is rediculously powerful, you still can't use it more than once an engagement. But Voidwalk allows someone to effectively ignore a number of heroes. Kassar, Ztera, Tristan... All have no effective source of magic damage, allowing Caliga to escape VERY easily. The mana drain on Voidwalk is negligable, allowing someone to simply walk around with it on most of the time, and can be easily used to fade in/out during combat to dodge nearly all physical damage, and so on. Hell, with Tristan, if your reflexes are good, even if he's invisible you can see the animation for Umbra, and transfer to Voidwalk before it can hit you. Boom, he still teleports into melee range, but rather than taking damage, you're just stuck in Voidwalk for a few seconds.

I recommend a second or so to transfer between the two stages, or an increased mana cost. Or maybe even swap what upgrades for Voidwalk. Have it give 70-100 ms at all levels, but block 20/35/50/65/80% physical damage. It is a GROSS imbalance to have a hero that simply follow around a fifth of the enemy's heroes without fear of being harmed.

Note: I know Kassar's ultimate deals magic damage, but you can't kill someone with just that. And you also can't kill someone with the pillar of darkness, especially now that it follows you.
Image Image Image Image Image
--------Eli-------------Ben------------Alex----------Isabelle---------David----

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:37 pm

VZManticoran wrote: Hell, with Tristan, if your reflexes are good, even if he's invisible you can see the animation for Umbra, and transfer to Voidwalk before it can hit you. Boom, he still teleports into melee range, but rather than taking damage, you're just stuck in Voidwalk for a few seconds.
I haven't seen anyone do that but me, lolz.
VZManticoran wrote:Note: And you also can't kill someone with the pillar of darkness, especially now that it follows you.
I disagree, I've killed Caliga's like that.
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

VZManticoran

Post by VZManticoran » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:44 pm

Ok, you can't kill any Caliga who's good and paying attention with that. They'll just stay out of melee range until it wears off, then rip you to shreds.

And, hey, you do that too? Neat! It pisses Tristans off to no end, it's very funny.
Image Image Image Image Image
--------Eli-------------Ben------------Alex----------Isabelle---------David----

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:09 pm

While the mana drain on Voidwalk is negligible, Caliga's shitty mana regeneration isn't. Once you're out of mana, you're out of mana. Anyways, I'm not going to balance it. I was going to redo it to be more awesome anyways, which inadvertently corrects any complaints you're all making. It's not imperative, though, nor is it critical for the map balance. I've killed Caliga numerous times with a 600 damage fireball, so he by no means runs the show.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:25 pm

VZManticoran wrote:Ok, you can't kill any Caliga who's good and paying attention with that.
That applies to most other heroes. Just voidwalk + easily accessibility to mute puts him about others.
VZManticoran wrote:And, hey, you do that too? Neat! It pisses Tristans off to no end, it's very funny.
That's also the mind game of animation-cancelling Sin of Pride, Taint, Blaze, etc.
You know, I think I've done it to you recently.
Rising_Dusk wrote:While the mana drain on Voidwalk is negligible, Caliga's shitty mana regeneration isn't. Once you're out of mana, you're out of mana.
I have yet to run out of mana when using my HP/MP pot + other items like every other hero.
Rising_Dusk wrote:I was going to redo it to be more awesome anyways, which inadvertently corrects any complaints you're all making.
I was really expecting that 66% physical damage reduction thing to be implemented, but oh well.
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Return to “Hero Reviews & Bug Reports”