Melee heroes and you

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Re: Melee heroes and you

Post by Hell_Tempest » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:40 am

The shop issue arises again.

Greenspawn
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Greenspawn » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:13 am

Buzz kill. It's a thought.
Math is # |e^iπ|
"I can't imagine getting hit by a giant rock and not being maimed or crippled or ruined" -Dusk

Logue: Please replace the toilet paper when you use it all. For some reason my 5 year old son believes if it's not there he does not have to wipe.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:48 am

All I'm saying is that somebody would have to come up with a way of countering that issue.

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:00 am

I don't like how some heroes suffer from conditions while others thrive on them, but then again thats after I tried playing Glasse against any of the new Order heroes.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:52 am

Scarlet wrote:You guys are joking, right? Ever hear of ruin?

Anyhow, assasingao... Those all look like variations of what Dusk had suggested (and is in fact implementing, I believe), just different conditions. Not trying to bash you or anything, but yeah.
That is intentional, I don't want sandstorm stunning people.

I mean, all channeling spell would become MOOT against heroes that deals physical damage per second and apply conditions, that have the item.

Also, Scourge + Rendabi + Imperfection is quite awesome, you'll never know when you're gonna die.

Vinnam
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by Vinnam » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:07 pm

I just thought of something crazy and probably un-implementable...

How about having the upgrade shop in the middle of that big honking pond? Have it be a murloc to explain why it even got there, and have it accesible only by using the new flying item mules.
Trainer: Brendan Creed
ImageImageImage
Lineup: Noir & Batista

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:59 pm

That sounds kind of terribly, actually, mostly because of how confusing and contrived it'd be for newer players.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Vinnam
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by Vinnam » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:30 am

Hence the reason I said crazy and un-implementable :D. Not from a coding standpoint, I assume, but from an aesthetic one.
Trainer: Brendan Creed
ImageImageImage
Lineup: Noir & Batista

Mundaine
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Mundaine » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:50 pm

Sorry if I didn't read over this entire thread, but what if you made it possible to simply make an item type "socketable" where the item has an ability to merge with another item with the same "socketable" type, for the cost of faction however. If players merely need to see that they can combine certain items, they'll figure out their own combos, and combining certain items would become relatively simple, and intuitive. No buying a potion or anything, just a little tid bit on the itmes to say they can be merged for 3F and you're done. You just click and join, if you don't have enough faction, it'd display a message and nothing would happen. We could also make a trigger that would allow one to break apart items and retrieve the faction, so that making a mistake, or wanting to combine different items later, would be possible. If the problem with too many item shows, a simple item drop, or a message displaying it cannot be broken, can be made...

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:48 am

Socketing systems add virtually nothing to a map except a weird manner of having recipes into a map. Really, I think this upgrade system is quite awesome for DoE and I really don't think any augmentations of it in other directions are going to be useful.

Mundaine
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Mundaine » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:14 pm

Now I'm not saying that I wish to impose my will on you or anything or argue what items should be put in, just that socketed items and upgrading items both do mainly the same thing; take some mediocre items and make them better. The only difference is that socketed adds a little more diversity. And besides, if you set it up right, as in make all socketable items combinable with all other socketed items, then you'd have a system just as intuitive as anything else. JUST as intuitive as knowing how to upgrade items.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:03 pm

Mundaine wrote:...take some mediocre items and make them better.
Yes, except one method requires it to have around N^(Socket Stuffer Count) items made in the object editor in order for tooltips to be intuitive (Since they aren't dynamic) and the other requires N^1 objects where N is the number of upgradeable items in your map in both cases. If tooltips were dynamic, I'd agree with you, but that they aren't makes your socketing system either not informative enough or requires you to left click the God damned item you socketed, opening up another 6 slots with the sockets... And that's just a load of contrived bullshit that makes it hella complicated.

Upgraded items within the framework of WC3 are unquestionably more intuitive.

Greenspawn
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Greenspawn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Will this upgrade system upgrade the basic shop items or the ones which cost faction?
Math is # |e^iπ|
"I can't imagine getting hit by a giant rock and not being maimed or crippled or ruined" -Dusk

Logue: Please replace the toilet paper when you use it all. For some reason my 5 year old son believes if it's not there he does not have to wipe.

Mundaine
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Mundaine » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:37 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote:
Mundaine wrote:...take some mediocre items and make them better.
Yes, except one method requires it to have around N^(Socket Stuffer Count) items made in the object editor in order for tooltips to be intuitive (Since they aren't dynamic) and the other requires N^1 objects where N is the number of upgradeable items in your map in both cases. If tooltips were dynamic, I'd agree with you, but that they aren't makes your socketing system either not informative enough or requires you to left click the God damned item you socketed, opening up another 6 slots with the sockets... And that's just a load of contrived bullshit that makes it hella complicated.

Upgraded items within the framework of WC3 are unquestionably more intuitive.
Actually you're first assumption was more of what I was going for, the 6 slots thing would be, and i agree with you here, way too much for just a little system. Well then, perhaps the easiest way would be to simply make upgradable items and not even get an upgrade kit? you just click and BAM, if you have faction, instantly upgrades, else it doesn't. That could work, plus it would allow players to not have to return to the base to upgrade and it wouldn't take any more code than with the upgrade kit idea.

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:18 pm

Greenspawn wrote:Will this upgrade system upgrade the basic shop items or the ones which cost faction?
Just the basic ones.
Mundaine wrote:Actually you're first assumption was more of what I was going for, the 6 slots thing would be, and i agree with you here, way too much for just a little system. Well then, perhaps the easiest way would be to simply make upgradable items and not even get an upgrade kit? you just click and BAM, if you have faction, instantly upgrades, else it doesn't. That could work, plus it would allow players to not have to return to the base to upgrade and it wouldn't take any more code than with the upgrade kit idea.
I honestly think that's too easy to screw up. I might missclick, or forget to right-click one of my items when I'm selling it, and end up spending faction on it.

Return to “Updates & Discussion”