Melee heroes and you

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Re: Melee heroes and you

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:44 pm

Mundaine wrote:you just click and BAM, if you have faction, instantly upgrades, else it doesn't.
That's impossible to make work. What if instead of spending my 3 faction right away I want to save for the 8F items? If I made the upgrading automatic, you wouldn't be able to ever do that. The kit is the most intuitive and aesthetically pleasing solution to the 'problem', if it ever existed at all.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Mundaine
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Mundaine » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:03 am

perhaps you misunderstood. I didn't want it to be automatic, just that upgradable items would have the inherent ability to self upgrade if you want to. That means, if you have 3F and want to upgrade the item, use it like you would use a consumable or a spell or whatever, to trigger the item upgrade, otherwise it just sits in your inventory and does nothing. If you want to prevent screw up, make the item spell targetable and set it up so that targeting itself would upgrade the item, otherwise nothing would happen. Or, If you want, you could even add a downgrade function, which means you could upgrade while you have the faction, but then downgrade if you want to spend it on something else later, though that isn't necessary if you don't want that kind of reversal setup. I can see how misclicking might be bad, but the same thing could potentially happen with upgrade kit, where you accidentally (perhaps due to lag or sliding your mouse a bit too far) upgrade the wrong item...

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:09 am

The click-upgrade style would result in a lot of silly misclick-upgrades. It'd also convolute and make their tooltips rather long to explain the upgrade process. Additionally, all of the N items would need their tooltips to be long to explain it individually (Can't clump them, otherwise it's impossible to know exactly and intuitively for new users what upgrades), whereas the upgrade kit combines those N tooltips to a tooltip on just the kit. After playing around with it in-game, this way just feels right compared to the alternatives.

Mundaine
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Mundaine » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:04 pm

Oh. I was just gonna assume you'd add the following onto the items:

upgradable: yes
Costs 3 faction to upgrade.

Still, I often get a lot of silly misclick buying due to lag spikes and whatnot, yet i still pay for it via having to sell the item back for less faction. If you made the upgrading process reversible, then it would hardly be a concern at all. Misclick is still just as possible with an upgrade kit too, it would happen the same way as the usual misclick follies happen. But, I guess if you want to add a very descriptive tool tip, then the upgrade kit would make sense. More than anything else, if I was to defend such an idea, it would mainly be for aesthetic reasons and nothing else. Upgrade kit makes the most sense if you wish to upgrade an item so yeah...

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:51 pm

Mundaine wrote:If you made the upgrading process reversible, then it would hardly be a concern at all.
The problem there is that people can upgrade their items, then downgrade them again to buy 8 faction items and such.
Mundaine wrote:Misclick is still just as possible with an upgrade kit too, it would happen the same way as the usual misclick follies happen.
Except that you'd have to have the shop selected, other then your hero. I dunno about you, but I have my hero selected a lot more then shops. =p

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:28 pm

I remember Dusk saying something like full sell-back on the upgraded items, if that's true, people can still do what phox said.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:42 pm

I remember me never saying that or saying it and not being serious. Nothing in DoE gets full sellback.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:17 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote:I remember me never saying that or saying it and not being serious. Nothing in DoE gets full sellback.
Except dropping a potion while burrowed. That's profit right there.

Anyhow, don't criticize the new system before you've TRIED it. I know its easy to picture, but gotta TRY. Can't wait.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:30 pm

Anyhow, don't criticize the new system before you've TRIED it. I know its easy to picture, but gotta TRY. Can't wait.
Agreed.

So the new system's coming in 1.10, right?

Mundaine
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Mundaine » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:55 pm

btw, are the bonuses gonna be a strict stock % or varied depending on the item or what?

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:06 pm

Doubled stock items.
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:12 pm

Mundaine wrote:btw, are the bonuses gonna be a strict stock % or varied depending on the item or what?
10 attack speed => 20 attack speed
4 damage => 5 damage
2 intel => 4 intel
10 mana regen => 20 mana regen
1 health regen => 2 health regen
800 range blink => 1600 range blink
etc. => eettcc..

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:22 pm

They're all double the standard effects. You're basically paying 3F for an extra inventory slot, more or less.

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:30 pm

Oxygen wrote:800 range blink => 1600 range blink
You're kidding, right?

Sabertooth
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Sabertooth » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:10 pm

Phox. It's only on the standard items. Not the faction ones!
1600 blink item would be super lame.

Return to “Updates & Discussion”