30 second revive?

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

30 second revive?

Post by ReDSeX » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:08 pm

Please bring back the original revive times!
30 second revive times draws games out really long. That can be fine sometimes if you're looking to have a brawl, but unless the creeps start packing the pew pew and overwhelming heroes well into the match, games can be caught in deadlocks. The problem? A hero's death isn't that big of a deal anymore. Whereas in earlier versions with longer revive times, a hero's death meant an open lane. The other team's heroes owned? Buy creeps! everyone gather for a push! It was the time to rape base face.
Now with the super short revive times a hero can pop out of base, buy a quick pot to dispel their 34 second mute, and get right back into the fray and stop that push. There isn't much of a penalty for a hero death. Its quite disheartening to kill a hero, move with a ginormous push, only to see that same hero that you just killed sitting at the front of their base. Even worse when they destroy all your creeps with a spell and you watch as 1k gold goes down the tube. It sucks and makes for a pretty lame cycle.
I know the slippery slope mute is supposed to be a means to an end. But you can generate enough gold while you're reviving to dispel it.

Usually if I want a quick game of DoE I can join a pubby and go on with a 30 minute game. Now I'm scared if I want to sneak in another DoE in fear of an hour long game D:
Last edited by ReDSeX on Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Re: 30 second revive?

Post by SetaSoujirou » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:10 pm

20+ second mute, how often do you see people use whitewater purge/condition removal potions anyway? I only know a few who do.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:11 pm

As nice as the short revive times are, you do have a point. I have noticed that my games of DoE have lengthened a bit. I'm not sure how I feel about bringing back the old revive times, though. They were a bit long...

And I always use condition removal pots for that mute. And tend to yell at teammates to do the same.

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:13 pm

If their mute is so long that it doesn't wear off in transit to another lane, then they're probably going to get white water or the pot. I'm just saying that the mute on revive is kind of pointless since its negated so easily.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:19 pm

It's not pointless, though. The only reason it exists is to facilitate sieging their main base. Even if they are muted for a split second upon revive, it favors the sieging team when they revive. Also, I've noticed that game lengths seem to be on average the exact same with this change, just you spend more time playing and less time reviving. I call that a success.

Also, if they choose to use a potion/WWP for the mute, that's an item slot they're designating for it, an item slot that could potentially be better used as something else.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:11 pm

But what about the side bases? It barley affects them at all. By the time revived heroes have reached the side bases the mute is already off or they've dispelled it. It doesn't facilitate much of anything except halting a possible base crippling push faster. Usually the side bases are the ticket to besieging the main base.

You can drop an item to buy the pot and just pick the item back up again. If someone buys a WWP to negate their death mute than I'd agree with you. It could be better spent elsewhere. But WWP is a good item overall.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:40 pm

What about the side bases? You haven't exactly made a point or anything, really. The mute exists for one reason, that's to make sieging the main base easier for the sieging side (pending on how many deaths that reviving hero has). That's it, and it accomplishes that wonderfully. If you use the WWP/Pot for the mute, now you may end up with Wrath up your ass or something else depending on teams. Really, it sounds like a pretty normal game of DoE to me.

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:47 pm

His point is not about the mute, but that it takes 30 seconds or so to fight your way down a lane, depending on heroes and such. So, if you kill an enemy hero at your top base and charge down the lane to hit their base unopposed, it's quite possible for that same hero will meet your attack force when you get there, which makes tackling the side bases more difficult. Meh, I guess it's not a huge deal. I can't think of a way to fix it short of what's already been done.

VZManticoran
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by VZManticoran » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:48 pm

*Shrug* I dunno, I haven't really seen much of a change in that kind of thing..
Image Image Image Image Image
--------Eli-------------Ben------------Alex----------Isabelle---------David----

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:13 pm

AotZ will address it in an interesting way, even though it's not like AotZ will even have side bases anyways. That method wouldn't work for DoE, though.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:19 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote:it's not like AotZ will even have side bases anyways
O.o, A clue! Jinkys!

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:19 pm

Phox wrote:And I always use condition removal pots for that mute. And tend to yell at teammates to do the same.
...Oh, that was you....
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Gafgarion
Noobite Warrior

Post by Gafgarion » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:54 am

And what about players that dedicate an item slot for dispel pot, regardless of character? Now that mute no longer prevents item use, it seems have one slot for anti-magic pot makes a lot more sense, especially if there's an Exuro. For any intelligent player, the revive mute would seem to be a non-factor.

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:17 pm

TheIrishPatriot wrote:
Phox wrote:And I always use condition removal pots for that mute. And tend to yell at teammates to do the same.
...Oh, that was you....
I was Vela and you were Torne, I believe. I don't remember exactly though.

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:18 pm

I reaallllly don't want to remember that game...suffice to say I will shut up about Tornne...
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Return to “Updates & Discussion”