Helpful Commands

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
pandamanar
Revenent of the Replies

Re: Helpful Commands

Post by pandamanar » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:07 pm

perhaps a -ms command to see whether or not those extra 2 booties of speed will bring you to max MS?
couldn't you just leave some information about conditions in the Credits?
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4c242dfce214c
Play League of Legends, get to level 10 and I get buffs.

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:39 am

Final_Pantheon wrote:Trying to convert a world of DotA into a world of DoE is a tough job, made even tougher by the fact that *every* new person who trys to learn the map doesn't understand the different conditions.

Wouldn't it be helpful to have a -condtions command (or something similar) that displays text to new players explaining what conditions are and what the different effects of conditions are?

Just a suggestion, not sure if it's been said before.
That really would be helpful, dontcha think? It'd be more n0b friendly to give some insight to important game mechanics. Put it into the quest menus maybe? Or in the title screen it could tell nobs to check the quest menu out to enlighten themselves.

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:49 am

Putting conditions in the quest log would make sense.

*shrugs* Depends if Dusk feels like putting that in or not.

Fledermaus
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Fledermaus » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:52 am

Let's be honest, who that wouldn't straight away understand what each condition does is going to read the quest menu rather than quit and join the first apem game they see?

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:36 am

It just seems unprofessional to leave something thats a pretty integral part of the gameplay without an explanation.
Let them figure out themselves? Have you not noticed? People are idiots.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:03 am

pandamanar wrote:perhaps a -ms command to see whether or not those extra 2 booties of speed will bring you to max MS?
couldn't you just leave some information about conditions in the Credits?
I lol, 2 boots and lv 3 rose thorns are the just slightly off max MS (Off by a mere 11), but really, knowing your MS is highly unnecessary, and just leads to complaints and paranoia.
Note: Only Rose can achieve max MS.(No Jhita can't)

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:45 am

I made the mistake of having a help manual in AotZ, something I won't ever do again. The obvious way to figure out what a condition does is to read the buff tooltip when it's either on you or on an enemy. That's what I would do.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:26 am

Rising_Dusk wrote:I made the mistake of having a help manual in AotZ, something I won't ever do again. The obvious way to figure out what a condition does is to read the buff tooltip when it's either on you or on an enemy. That's what I would do.
Wait, why was it a mistake? People never read it?

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:19 am

It cluttered the quest log with unnecessary gibberish. Besides, the only users that read it were the ones that didn't need it -- And the ones that never read it were the ones it was intended for.

Final_Pantheon
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Final_Pantheon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:24 am

Rising_Dusk wrote:It cluttered the quest log with unnecessary gibberish. Besides, the only users that read it were the ones that didn't need it -- And the ones that never read it were the ones it was intended for.
DoE is slightly more complex than AotZ though. And I don't necessarily mean putting it into the quest log (I hadn't thought of that, but you could do both), I meant making it so that when you type in -conditions, it comes up with a <i>very</i> concise description of what conditions are, and then a list of each condition: -?ruin , for example.

Just for clarification.

As for conditions because self-explainitory, I honestly don't think they are. I agree with Dusk that it's simple to just read the tooltips, though. The only problem with that is some people just aren't that intelligent (I get people every game who ask where the shops are: apparently they don't notice the pings and text on their screen ...).

I'm suggesting this because for people who are genuinely interested in learning how to play new AoS's (they're rare, but they're there), it's rather confusing to read my text-spam as I try to explain the concept of conditions.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Fulla
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Fulla » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:52 am

Could just add an ability to each hero in slot X 2, Y 1 (Inbetween innate+hero learn)

It would have a small list with brief descriptions clarifying what conditions do.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:42 pm

I am thoroughly convinced that anyone genuinely interested in learning how to play DoE will have absolutely zero trouble doing so in its current form. DoE is not at all more complex than AotZ, DoE is so much more intuitive and easy to track. You just have to think outside of the box in how things interact, that's the beauty of it. Adding abilities to heroes or giving them items that explain the map is silly, really.

I mean, if everyone absolutely agrees, I can do it... But bleh.

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:50 pm

Load screen ftw?

People are so easily turned off by something that's different. Giving some clarification on something alien would only attract more people and better players. I could totally see people doing a "WTF" when they're crippled, ruined, or maimed, then bitching, and inevitably leaving.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:00 pm

ReDSeX wrote:Load screen ftw?

People are so easily turned off by something that's different. Giving some clarification on something alien would only attract more people and better players. I could totally see people doing a "WTF" when they're crippled, ruined, or maimed, then bitching, and inevitably leaving.
Hey, that's actually a good idea.

Because right now, there's no text in the loading screen, so adding some won't be a problem.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:25 pm

I'm more interested when loading to see everyone's load status than to read some stuff about the map. If I had some epic artist that was good at drawing wallpaper images, I might be convinced to have some custom load screen that can do both, but until some God descends upon me and grants me half the artists DotA has for that, it won't happen.

The only legitimate way I think I'd ever suck it up and do it is with an item that can be destroyed by clicking it or something. Even that's a rather inelegant manner to approach it, but it could work I suppose.

Return to “Updates & Discussion”