1.09b Discussion

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Re: 1.09b Discussion

Post by Loki » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:28 pm

Because the spell replacements are still debatable and the hero balance problems.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:50 pm

Because I have a life.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Uber Noob
Noobite Warrior

Post by Uber Noob » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:34 am

I think something still needs to be done with the spawn count even if the solution is inelegant... as long as it doesn't disrupt the gameplay or is exploitable. It's irritating when a new player, drunk player, or someone who isn't paying attention buys a drake/golem spawn when it is already at 4 and screws up the cool down when you're intending to buy those two spawns during the next wave, and that next wave could have caused the enemy to lose their expansion base.

I believe it's something that should be looked at if DoE's going to be a competitive map. Perhaps change the fundamentals of unit spawns to be similar to AotZ, so when you purchase a spawn, it is instantly summoned and goes on its own, like the Judgment, Leviathan and other cohorts. Of course if this were to happen, the amounts of spawn units available would probably need to be reduced and/or increased in costs.

Or why not just add the bought spawns when the counter is at 4 to the second, third, fourth, fifth wave, whatever, if applicable, instead of just refunding the money and losing the unit. I imagine this would be a headache though.

If not... revamp the complete spawning purchasing system? :?

That's my take...

PS: Please make the screen shake for a second or two when Maltheron's Catastrophe lands on the ground! It looks cool, but it's a little meh when it lands... and it'd be the only spell using the camera shake function so it shouldn't be a problem... add a little more flavor to it. :)

Player 1: WTF was that earthquake?!
Player 2: Oh, just a huge chunk of moon shit hitting our world.

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:41 am

Camera shaking is nothing but a pain. Perhaps it'd add flavor, but it's stupid for gameplay, imo.

As for the spawns, it would be awesome if something was done, but changing it to AotZ's system is not it.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:46 am

Uber Noob wrote:If not... revamp the complete spawning purchasing system?
No.
Uber Noob wrote:Or why not just add the bought spawns when the counter is at 4 to the second, third, fourth, fifth wave, whatever, if applicable, instead of just refunding the money and losing the unit. I imagine this would be a headache though.
It's not that difficult to set up a queue-style spawn system, but it's indeed a headache from a player point of view. Say 4 things are hired and a bunch of random buttons are clicked, you have no idea what to expect, and if your mind changes before the 12th wave, you can't change what will spawn. That's just as bad, if not truthfully far worse, as the noob clicking the dragon accidentally and wasting it.

If this were AotZ, I'd make the earth shake. The truth, though, is that DoE is focusing more on the gameplay and interactions and so little adjustments like that would be unwarranted. If I added a screen shaking to Catastrophe, there'd be numerous other things I'd have to do at the community's behest, resulting in turning DoE into AotZ. No thanks, man.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:52 am

I have thought nothing of camera shaking. EVER. If anything, it's a nuisance. It adds an effect that most people will end up IGNORING after seeing it for the 2nd time. (Evidently over 100+ if it were implemented) Most people don't stare at their catastrophe when it's landing anyway. You've got better things to do than watch it (typically miss).
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:15 pm

It's coming...

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:01 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote:It's coming...
I didn't get that post.... does that mean that 1.09c is going to be released or something else is coming?

Or is there a joke I'm not getting :S
Its... its... a NEW SIG!! OMG!!

O_O"

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:12 pm

IT'S COMING.
(New DoE version.)
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:37 am

It's ready, more or less. I'm still not satisfied with Corrosion's replacement or Jhita as a whole, but I can't honestly think of anything that'd fit what I want them to do. Silly damned critters.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:34 am

What about Fire Emblem's replacement?

2-P
Revenent of the Replies

Post by 2-P » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:00 am

And what happend to Jhita so far? Maybe someone has an idea.

You can always remove him if you're not happy with him. =/
Humans don't have the patience to wait even ten minutes for something!

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:39 am

Fire emblem has already been replaced.
I don't think simply removing Jhita works at this point, 2-P.
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:40 am

More specifically, Fire Emblem is now Feuer Frei!, but with a few tweaks.

I also don't think dusk really wants to just scrap Jhita all together, as it's a cool concept, which can work brilliantly, it just needs to somehow work out better than it does. Not to mention that removing Jhita leaves the Bane one hero down, which means that another potentially unbalanced hero will enter the fold, and that means even more work, etc, etc.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:16 pm

assassingao wrote:What about Fire Emblem's replacement?
It's awesome, so I didn't find a need to say anything about it.
2 P wrote:You can always remove him if you're not happy with him. =/
I'd prefer to keep the sides even. But so far I've just made his ult easier to miss with and Explosive Arrows less imbalanced. Still, though, I'm unhappy with the general state of Splinter Cell. It's too click-shooty, and I'm kind of against making random line skills for him, he needs a different type of skill-demand. That is to say, Splinter Cell is great now, but sucks in terms of requiring a brain to use.

He's really the kicker for me releasing 1.10 today. If I can figure out a way to make him satisfactory, I'll toss it out, otherwise I'm just going to hold onto it until I can.

Return to “Updates & Discussion”