1.09b Discussion

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Re: 1.09 Discussion

Post by Soul_Reaver » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:56 am

I love the new hero's, Tristan's Shadow Path ability. :D
Also, Arró Kree's new skin is simply amazing.

I didn't get to multiplayer testing yet...
Oh, and I didn't count on 6 new heroes. That's amazing.

A question came to my mind though, can Jhita change around her primary element? She's all frost in AotZ, and here she has fire.

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:19 am

This is a minor thing, but you might want to set it so there's no timer for picking heroes in single-player. It's a bit of a pain if I'm trying to read the stories.

Fulla
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Fulla » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:41 am

Another minor thing, following from above thread.
Multiple Heroes dying in single player doesn't work properly, i.e. only 1 can revive it seems. Perhaps simply have no timer & an instant revive (without Camera movement).

Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:03 am

Sigh...finally it's out.

Dusk, I just want to say, I've been waiting for this for quite some time, eagerly, everyday checking. I am extremely glad that you decided to continue and release it. I just want to say, thank you for making such an awesome game, thanks for making something I can enjoy so much.

So...once more.

Thanks mate.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pestilence :: Rocky the V :: Buz-Ze :: Zen :: The Kid:: Imperius

Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Soul_Reaver » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:21 am

So I played a few (multiplayer) games, and it's a masterpiece, Dusk!

We had so much fun with it. :D
Also, Sozen's new Mirage is orgasm.
Last edited by Soul_Reaver on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bregan
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Bregan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:28 am

sooo, no more jager? (sorry, i've been out of the loop for the past few weeks on that and i wont get to try 1.09 until mid july when i get my computer fixed.)
Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forstall my return

Bregan
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Bregan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:31 am

Soul_Reaver wrote:A question came to my mind though, can Jhita change around her primary element? She's all frost in AotZ, and here she has fire.
isnt jhita a he? or maybe just an "it". either way, jhita is a voidwalker of adaptation or somesuch. so basicly, yes, he adapts to his environment to better suit it.
Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forstall my return

Crevax
Server Owner/Manager

Post by Crevax » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:01 pm

I thought Jhita was like a minor elemental or something like that. So he/she/it uses an "element" of the surroundings. Land's End: Ice. Desert of Exile: Heat/Fire.
SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 rows returned

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:37 pm

twink them, you guys did a great job on the skins and everything.

Give yourselves a pat on the back.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:10 pm

Phox wrote:This is a minor thing, but you might want to set it so there's no timer for picking heroes in single-player. It's a bit of a pain if I'm trying to read the stories.
Why not just select the hero you want, highlight his/her/it's story, hit F10, use alt+hotkey for pause game, and read to your heart's content?
pandamanar wrote:I really wished that you had cept Rose's channel the same... The new Volley just seems too much like Ebony from AotZ.
Except they're nothing alike..? Ebony's second skill in AotZ fires multiple arrows in a line, Volley targets all nearby adjacent foes. If anything, Volley is more like Forked Lightning or something.
Andriejj wrote:I tested Kassar a few times, now I'm sure. Fasat + Prevailing Winds cause the crash. So like, self-inflicting conditions.
Okay, you weren't the only one reporting this, so I'm sure of what it is now. Thanks.
Andriejj wrote:The crown seems kind of cheap, compared to other 8 faction items. Conditions play a much bigger part now, so such ultimate item should be somehow distinguished. Maybe 10 or 12 faction?
All of the items are fairly imba in some way, but more costly is not the solution. Crown is awesome and all, but so are all of the other items. As, say, Exuro, I think I'd have a hard time picking between Imperfection, Heart of Rendabi, Crown, Rikters, or whatever. I mean, they're all pretty awesome, so I don't think it's a problem.
Andriejj wrote:On the last note, those visual upgrades are awesome, Tornne's new ultimate SFX is just orgasmic
It's unfortunate I didn't get a chance to finish them all, or rather wasn't motivated to. You can tell I really gimped out Dis' special effects, they're either galvanized from Jhita or look pretty shoddy. (Except Heartburn, I did manage to finish that one)
AnemicRoyalty wrote:i absolutely love the idea of Path of Shadows, it is simply brilliant. The only problem with it is that (as has been mentioned) he flies off at a perpendicular angle when (i'm not sure which is the exact cause here, they seem to be interrelated) he either attacks an enemy or moves toward an enemy but is blocked. He also flies off when hit by a trebuchet. My only beef with the skill is that it is unpredictable - when it works, it's brilliant.
If it 'flies' off like you say, then it isn't working properly. It should only activate when he is issued an order and it should always track the correct last given order such that it won't be going somewhere you didn't want it to go in the first place. It's a really tricky spell in code, so I'll have to test it myself and investigate further.
AnemicRoyalty wrote:Dusk, you are a fandangling champion. I know how much work you have put into 1.09 and it is, quite frankly, a masterpiece. As soon as i've got time (and it's not between midnight and dawn US time) I am immeasurably looking forward to hitting B.net and joining the epic gamage.
Congratulations
<3
I even managed to keep you on friends though you haven't been on in months. :p
Andriejj wrote:The opposing team couldn't pick their heroes, because the camera didn't move to the hero selection area. They were stuck with it at the middle of the map, we had to rematch, uh.
I encountered this bug too, it's nothing to do with what Fulla suggested though. The problem lies in that stupid hero selection timer thing I added. I didn't have any real testing with it in a multiplayer environment, so there's definitely a loophole I missed. Not sure if anyone else noticed it, but on rematches it seems to bug out as well. (Multiple timer windows) I'll address all of these issues, no sweat.
Andriejj wrote:Another bug. Every time I revive, the mute is getting longer. I didn't do well in that game, so I ended up with like, 30 second mute. It extends with each new revive.
This is intentional. I did this so that if you continue to die, when an enemy pushes into your base and you really are losing, the game won't prolong indefinitely. In all of the tests I've been in so far, this has been more than successful without keeping players out of the game at all. I am hugely confident that how it is is the most suitable solution, and shit, it even interacts with conditions -- Bless my widdle heart.
Andriejj wrote:Tristan - it might be meant, he's a ghostly guy, but there's no sound on his attack. Also the ultimate lacks audio.
I don't have sound on my computer, as I've said thousands of times before. This is an oversight and I will address it in the next version.
Andriejj wrote:Daggurnot's knockdown spell is too strong, imo. Reduce the radius, maybe. It requires no real effort to cast, unlike Gust, for example, you just cast and *BAM*, everyone on the ground and ready to be smacked, all channeling stopped.
I'd suggest to buff Dis a bit. He's totally useless against heroes with very high hp and nukers (Dauggurnot and Genobee, for example, unless Genobee has his little friends to steal life from). 2-3 nukes/AoE spells, and he's dead.
I'll take all balance issues in stride. Please try to keep this thread mostly for bug reports at this juncture, this forum is the place to put balance discussion. (Trying to stay organized a little bit)
assassingao wrote:New icons are uber awesome, though. But I'm a bit sad for Kassar.
unwirklich never finished all of the stuff he had to do, or rather takes a million years to do it, so he didn't get the icon updates I wanted. I did manage to rename all of his skills, though, so whenever I do get the icons I will update. Additionally, there are other cool things I want to do, but they're a bit too dependent on artists that aren't AR/KR (The only reliable ones left, I swear). Give those two some love, by the way, without their hard work DoE 1.09 wouldn't be half as epic as it is. <3
dmaargke wrote:I really don't agree with the Dis comment. Yes he's weak but the channel lets him sit there and keep pumping out copies of himself. I had a wave of about 25 minions rushing over their base. Plus against Geno if they have the swarm on they get overrun instantly.
I'm not really worried about Dis really. In testing, I had so much fun that I cannot even begin to describe it in words. If he's even half that fun in an actual game, I'll probably be hoping to play him every game! I'll deal with balance stuff in stride, like I mentioned somewhere above. I want to focus on making the version stable and working before anything else, so unless someone's winning games alone, try to avoid minor stuff here. (Make a thread where I linked above!)
Andriejj wrote:When both Caliga's activables are on, Tombreaver doesn't drain life. When you turn off Voidwalk, it drains again.
This was intentional, it's the type of damage that Tombreaver deals to himself. I did this so that you wouldn't be killing yourself by accident, which was pretty lame in the past. It also makes synergy between skills relatively cool -- But I guess I should tell the user that it deals physical damage to himself in the tooltip, huh? *Scribbles a note*
ReDSeX wrote:Props on the new version. Tested it out and I came buckets. I just wish you hadn't changed Glasse's skin. Its a cool skin but its 2 animations and its moving face portrait is so bland when paired up with dark Arthas'. Aesthetically, I liked the old blood mage model more.
I had a feeling some people might miss the blood mage. The truth is that I do too, but I wanted to put this out there and see what the world thought. If we end up going back to the blood mage, AR and I are going to have to figure out how to make him the most awesome thing evar. (He did redo the original blood mage skin too, if I recall, I do still have it) We'll see, make a poll or something, I'd love to have all of your opinions on that channeled into one topic.
Bregan wrote:sooo, no more jager? (sorry, i've been out of the loop for the past few weeks on that and i wont get to try 1.09 until mid july when i get my computer fixed.)
He was never supposed to come to the public light -- It's unfortunate that with the beta leak that he did. He will never, ever be joining DoE. I suppose I've considered him for a spotlight in AotZ 3.00 or something, but we'd need a total remodel among other things. AotZ is either going to be insanely customized with ridiculous models or I'm not going to release it, so we'll see. :p
Crevax wrote:I thought Jhita was like a minor elemental or something like that. So he/she/it uses an "element" of the surroundings. Land's End: Ice. Desert of Exile: Heat/Fire.
Nah, he's the voidwalker of adaptation. I figured out what happened to his story, apparently I typed it and the WE crashed because someone asked me to open a protected map like an idiot, so it never got saved. It was epic too, that's why I was surprised that it wasn't in the game. I'll have to retype it, LE SIGH!

And to all of the people that congratulated me, I didn't quote you because this post is too long as it is, but thanks a lot for the support. I wouldn't keep working on this if no one kept enjoying it, so it makes me happy that people still do. <3 you all!
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Evernite.
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Evernite. » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:18 pm

I must say that this version is awesome, I really enjoyed playing it, thank you for releasing it. :P

Here are some issues, important or not, that I've noticed during solo playing:
-When awaiting the hero's revival (Jhita, in my case), it just didn't revive after the counter expired. The timer's window stayed there displaying big zeros but not giving me my hero back!
-As I laid a Black Hole Sun on the ground while playing Tristan, creeps kept on attacking me even though the ward was still there and alive. This happened only once though, redoing it afterwards didn't cause the same problem.
-Parhelios's ultimate once didn't show any lightning bolts even though the damage and mute was still applied; this happened once as well.

Other than these few little bugs, the map is great, thank you again, to both Dusk and all the amazing artists who worked so hard on it!
"You believe but what you see,
You receive but what you give."

-Nightwish, Amaranth

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:32 pm

None of your bugs make any sense, Evernite, can you reproduce them and give me better circumstances?

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:36 pm

By the way, the crash on Kassar is STUPID at best. If I had tested him at all, I'd have totally caught it.

Code: Select all

call ExecuteFunc("PrevailingWinds_BackwardsCompatibility")
It's too bad that function DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE. /facepalm

Actually, twink, I don't know why the map even compiled... It shouldn't have with the errors in this spell..
LOL! I'm a moron, pure and simple. I sometimes wonder how I can make maps at all. xD

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:43 pm

I'll play it if I'm home alone, POSSIBLY today. I am mentally drooling, and all the updates look SICK.
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Evernite.
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Evernite. » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:43 pm

After some more testing I couldn't get the bugs to reproduce; however I'll describe as best as I can how they happened, sorry for not being so clear. All of this happened in the "middle lanes only" mode.
Evernite. wrote:-When awaiting the hero's revival (Jhita, in my case), it just didn't revive after the counter expired. The timer's window stayed there displaying big zeros but not giving me my hero back!
This happened after Jhita was killed, and wearing the Last Rites item. He blew up as the item wanted him to, his revival counter started, but at the end of it, it just stayed there displaying zeros and the hero never revived.
Evernite. wrote:-As I laid a Black Hole Sun on the ground while playing Tristan, creeps kept on attacking me even though the ward was still there and alive. This happened only once though, redoing it afterwards didn't cause the same problem.
After looking at the screenshot I took, the ward was merely hit by a trebuchet and I didn't see it, as it was covered by an enemy creep in a weird way. Sorry for that. Slap me.
Evernite. wrote:-Parhelios's ultimate once didn't show any lightning bolts even though the damage and mute was still applied; this happened once as well.
Here I did cast Blood Mana while the ultimate was still active, and the bolts just vanished, although damage and mute were applied anyway.
"You believe but what you see,
You receive but what you give."

-Nightwish, Amaranth

Return to “Updates & Discussion”