Questions on Ruin

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
Greenspawn
Keeper of the Keys

Questions on Ruin

Post by Greenspawn » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:30 pm

Here are my questions:

1. Does ruin affect condition damage (i.e. does ruin make bleed and burn deal more damage, or do those conditions deal consistent damage)?

2. Does ruin affect damage caused by spells? (such as Bladewind, Dismission Aura, Brimstone, Sin of Wrath, Sunder, etc.)

3. Do the items that reduces ruin's duration and the one that increases it's duration (Heart of Rendabi I think) affect Sozen's self-ruining? (Does Heart of Rendabi increase the duration on Sozen and do the reducing items reduce that duration?)

4. Does the condition removal potion / whitewater purge remove Sozen's self-ruining?
Math is # |e^iπ|
"I can't imagine getting hit by a giant rock and not being maimed or crippled or ruined" -Dusk

Logue: Please replace the toilet paper when you use it all. For some reason my 5 year old son believes if it's not there he does not have to wipe.

Pigger
Revenent of the Replies

Re: Questions on Ruin

Post by Pigger » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:34 pm

1. As far as I know, no.
2. No, only physical
3. Yes
4. Yes

Scarlet
Global Moderator

Post by Scarlet » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:09 pm

As to the second question - Ruin DOES affect some spells, but only those that do physical damage (i.e. Atrius' Sandstorm and Bladewind from Janise) and conversely those spells have their damage reduced by higher armor values.

Dusk has said before that more spells will deal physical damage in 1.09, so you can look forward to insane damage with the right characters and some teamwork.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:10 pm

It changes a bit in 1.09, but your example for #2 is a bit convoluted anyways. Ruin boosts Bladewind's damage because it is a physical spell, but it does not boost Dismission Aura because it's a magickal spell. You might not know that because the tooltips in 1.08b suck, but in 1.09 they're very self-explanatory.
EDIT: Scarlet beat me to the punch.

Also, boosting items will not increase self-inflicted conditions come 1.09, but still reduce them.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Greenspawn
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Greenspawn » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:57 pm

Yay for answers! And for better tooltips!

Just confirming what Pigger said, condition damage is NOT enhanced by ruin? What about by armor bonuses?
Math is # |e^iπ|
"I can't imagine getting hit by a giant rock and not being maimed or crippled or ruined" -Dusk

Logue: Please replace the toilet paper when you use it all. For some reason my 5 year old son believes if it's not there he does not have to wipe.

Scarlet
Global Moderator

Post by Scarlet » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:58 pm

Nope, bleed and burn are both magic damage, so they don't take armor values into account at all.

Flameboy
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Flameboy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:36 pm

Are they reduced by the normal hero spell reduction, or theres just none in DoE?

Scarlet
Global Moderator

Post by Scarlet » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:19 am

Yeah, they are, if I recall correctly.

andriejj
Keeper of the Keys

Post by andriejj » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:50 am

Physical and magical. Sounds like LoE. That's a good (and logical) change :) But shouldn't be some spells half-magical and half-physical? For example, Glyphe's axes hurt physically, but the electricity on them feels more magical.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:02 am

andriejj wrote:Physical and magical. Sounds like LoE.
Physical and magickal has been in AotZ and DoE since the dawn of their existence (Even the 1.XX series of AotZ), I've just never listed them in the tooltips until DoE 1.09.

And I wouldn't make a spell deal both since that would just confuse people. I mean, 75 physical and 75 magickal damage is just weird and would make the tooltips look funny. It's far more intuitive to just have it one way and let the imagination go at it. Logically, everything would have to be a mix of physical/magickal, but it just can't be mechanically.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:53 pm

"Physical" and "Magical" ability types have been in existence from the beginning of wc3, it just depends on what you base the abilities damage on.

I see no reason why some abilities should not use both damage types, however, it would just be a waste of time for the coders to add a very small (mostly aesthetic) difference in damage.
Last edited by Rectifier on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnholySouls
Champion Noobite

Post by UnholySouls » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Shouldn't some conditions be physical?

Most bleeds could/should be in terms of "game physics", and some burns too.

trendkill
Noobite Warrior

Post by trendkill » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:37 pm

Rectifier wrote:I see no reason abilites could use both damage types, however, it would just be a waste of time for the coders to add a very small (mostly aesthetic) difference in damage.
1st bold: ... what?

2nd bold: More like not aesthetic at all? How is damage "aesthetic"? The graphics and animations associated with an ability are aesthetic. The damage has absolutely nothing to do with aesthetics. A skill or spell that did both magic and normal damage would be good, because it could hit ethereal targets, and do extra damage to non armored targets. It is a difference in damage and utility of the ability.

To clarify you could make a spell that drops a huge rock on someone and does magic damage. Aesthetically it should be physical, but the damage itself is magical (magical boulder maybe), but the aesthetics do not change based on the damage type.

Or you make a spell that throws a flaming longsword at someone. Anyone who is hit by the longsword takes 250 physical damage, and 150 fire damage. This would allow someone to still deal 150 fire damage to someone who was ethereal, and would deal a significant amount more damage to someone who was toting around enough boots to put them at -10 armor. (Not that this map needs anything like that, but you get my drift..)

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:12 pm

Um, your first question can be answered by putting a 'not' in Dusk's sentence. People mistype.
And I think he means by aesthetic is that the only reason he would do something like that would be because it makes more sense given the aesthetics of the spell. And you got the drift, so there's no reason to pick over word choice.

trendkill
Noobite Warrior

Post by trendkill » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:18 pm

Phox wrote:Um, your first question can be answered by putting a 'not' in Dusk's sentence. People mistype.
And I think he means by aesthetic is that the only reason he would do something like that would be because it makes more sense given the aesthetics of the spell. And you got the drift, so there's no reason to pick over word choice.
Actually no, he said there was no reason and it was a waste of coding time. I disagree and think that it would offer versatility to an ability if it did both magic and physical damage. So I was refuting the "aesthetic" comment proving that it isn't a "very small" and only "aesthetic" thing.

The first thing it sounded like he was saying it was not possible, which is just not true. It also was not "Dusk" who said that, so before you shake a finger at me, read a little bit.

Return to “Updates & Discussion”